Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:17 pm To be honest I have no clue LOL, I just know usually Ultra figures between 2005 and 2006 tend to be a bit harder to find. So like King Silvergon, Rei's Gomora (Neeeeeed), Goldras (i think) etc.
I got a Hyper Zetton on Ebay for about £9 which seems pretty dang sweet to me. I've picked up a handful of the Ultra 500 type figures (Red King EX, Gudon, Baltan and soon Dada) because I like the monsters a lot.

I know practically nothing about any Ultra figures though apart from their basic existence so I don't know what's rare or what's not or what comes from which series, etc.
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:24 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:17 pm To be honest I have no clue LOL, I just know usually Ultra figures between 2005 and 2006 tend to be a bit harder to find. So like King Silvergon, Rei's Gomora (Neeeeeed), Goldras (i think) etc.
I got a Hyper Zetton on Ebay for about £9 which seems pretty dang sweet to me. I've picked up a handful of the Ultra 500 type figures (Red King EX, Gudon, Baltan and soon Dada) because I like the monsters a lot.

I know practically nothing about any Ultra figures though apart from their basic existence so I don't know what's rare or what's not or what comes from which series, etc.
Yeah, I think Ultra 500 figures run a bit smaller than the original Ultra vinyls, which may be why the older stuff is becoming a bit sought after. (Well that, and old production stoppage lol).

I also hear most Ultra 500s are only painted/detailed on the front? Is that true?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:02 pm
Thegarbagemonster wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:24 pm

Yeah, I think Ultra 500 figures run a bit smaller than the original Ultra vinyls, which may be why the older stuff is becoming a bit sought after. (Well that, and old production stoppage lol).

I also hear most Ultra 500s are only painted/detailed on the front? Is that true?
Yeah mostly. There's a few that look nice like Sevenger, but if it has an older 6 inch counterpart just go for that instead.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Yesterday I received the BANDAI HG D+ EX 02 Biollante (Beast Form).

It is... a work of art. The 4 seperate extra tentacles are awesome for display purposes (looking at you, SHMA Biollante...). The light-up feature is very neat. It is a heavy and rock-solid piece with great details, although some proportions have been taken a few liberties with. This and the fact that it is waaaaaay to big to fit even remotely in scale with any other HG D+ figure, make it feel like coming from a completely different figure line, imho. It is roughly about the same overall size as the 6" MMS Biollante from a few years back. Like with that on, too, they didn't even bother to paint the teeth of the two hind tentacles - at a pricepoint of 12K JPY! Don't get me wrong, it is an awesome piece to own, but it looks and feels like more of a standalone item than part of the HG D+ GashaPon line, iif you ask me.
Last edited by Petezilla on Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Size DOES matter!

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

Petezilla wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:26 am Yesterday I received the BANDAI HG D+ EX 02 Biollante (Beast Form).

It is... a work of art. The 4 seperate extra tentacles are awesome for display purposes (looking at you, SHMA Biollante...). The light-up feature is very neat. It is a heavy and rock-solid piece with great details, although some proportions have been taken a few liberties with. This and the fact that it is waaaaaay to big to fit even remotely in scale with any other HG D+ figure, make it feel like coming from a completely different figure line, imho. It is roughly about the same overall size as the 6" MMS Biollante from a few years back. Like with that on, too, they didn't even bother to paint the teeth of the two hind tentacles - at a pricepoint of 12K JPY! Don't get me wrong, it is an awesome piece to own, but it looks and feels like more of a standalone item than part of the HG D+ GashaPon line, iif you ask me.
I agree with everything you just wrote. I've had mine on a shelf for a little over a week now. I already posted my thoughts in the gashapon thread, but might as well add it here too. The light-up function surprised me with the "throbbing" effect as I had no idea it was going to do that. The detail is great and overall appearance is amazing. My only complain is the same as yours: the size is not right for the gashapon series. I understand Biollante is a large kiaju and has been a popular seller for bandai over the past number of years, but it does feel like they just tacked it into the D+ EX line as an afterthought. One other minor complaint is the 4 extra tendrils are 2 each of a spear mold and a mouth mold, I kind of wished they'd all been separate molds for the price. I also hope the D+EX line goes away from large 1-figure sets and resumes the style of D+EX01.

Overall it will still be the centerpiece of my D+ shelf (once I get a shelf for just that part of the HG series).
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Just got some retro Bandai figs. Super excited for them.

Im most excited for the Ghidorah. IDK about yall, but I have found it IMPOSSIBLE to find a good sized Showa Ghidorah for under $200. But I snagged this guy for $150.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:02 pm I also hear most Ultra 500s are only painted/detailed on the front? Is that true?
From the ones I have, Gudon and RK EX have no back paint but Baltan has a little. From pictures I saw, Dada has paint on his back too, even the black patterns. I suppose it depends on whether the colour is important on the design or not.

Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Post by Andagi1 »

How many Battra vinyls are out there? AFAIK there's only the Imago that came in a special box and the larva, both of which are from the 90's. Seems strange that he would receive so little representation compared to Mecha/Spacegodzilla.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

From what I can tell, once each for the imago and larva. There might be some special release outside of the main Godzilla Collection line, but I don't know of it. I need to get the imago, now that you mention it. I want to have Heisei mothra and battra hanging on both sides of the bottom of my upper shelf.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

How are these things so easy to find in Japan but even the Japanese online outlets seem like they only cary the most miniscule of stock. Never mind finding them from US sellers for anything less than double the price.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Hey Ultra collectors, is this Dada I got a bootleg or not? It seems very suspicious that there's nothing on the inner tag there.
I'm not really bothered if it is, but still, I'd like to know.
Spoiler:
Keep in mind, I don't collect these so I'm not very clued into them. But I have three other 500 figures with yellow stamps on their feet and this one doesn't have that. Then again, this might not even be a 500 figure, lol, I have no clue!
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:59 am Hey Ultra collectors, is this Dada I got a bootleg or not? It seems very suspicious that there's nothing on the inner tag there.
Spoiler:
Keep in mind, I don't collect these so I'm not very clued into them. But I have three other 500 figures with yellow stamps on their feet and this one doesn't have that. Then again, this might not even be a 500 figure, lol, I have no clue!
That's so weird lol, so far it does pop up as an Ebay link or two when I look up, "2017 Bandai Ultra Monster Series DADA". But I'm not too, "in the know" on the 500 line as you know. I assume all your other 500s have writing on the inside of the tags and imprinted feet vs labeled feet?

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:56 am
Thegarbagemonster wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:59 am Hey Ultra collectors, is this Dada I got a bootleg or not? It seems very suspicious that there's nothing on the inner tag there.
Spoiler:
That's so weird lol, so far it does pop up as an Ebay link or two when I look up, "2017 Bandai Ultra Monster Series DADA". But I'm not too, "in the know" on the 500 line as you know. I assume all your other 500s have writing on the inside of the tags and imprinted feet vs labeled feet?
I got my other ones second hand, so no tags. It's worth noting that all the video reviews of this Dada I could find on Youtube, even dating back to 2017, don't have any yellow stamp and most of them have different numbers printed on the left foot instead (Dada's left). The few with tags still attached in the videos also had just numbers on the inside. It's very strange!

It being a bootleg wouldn't bother me, the only reason I'm concerned is that if I heat it up to pop out the tag, if it's a bootleg it might give off fumes or something.

BTW, his feet actually are imprinted with all the text apart from the "2010" which is also the part that was different in all the reviews.
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Spoiler:
No man, this one is an official one. Bandai stopped with production of UM500S sofubis in 2016/2017 and rebooted the whole line as UMS. So now this line is the official and same name carrying successor of the old 6" line.
The yellow (sometimes also red) stamp on the foot indicates it as a Spark Doll which were produced during Ginga/Ginga S and X. Usually the UHS/UMS figs got nothing written on the inside of their tags.

So again, it's an official sofubi and no bootleg

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Dyrakro wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:40 am No man, this one is an official one. Bandai stopped with production of UM500S sofubis in 2016/2017 and rebooted the whole line as UMS. So now this line is the official and same name carrying successor of the old 6" line.
The yellow (sometimes also red) stamp on the foot indicates it as a Spark Doll which were produced during Ginga/Ginga S and X. Usually the UHS/UMS figs got nothing written on the inside of their tags.

Phew, that's a real relief! Thanks for weighing in with the info. I'm glad about that. It means I can safely take a hairdryer to this bad boy without fear, then. So hold on, this is number 80-something right? (Can't be bothered to refer back to the images right now, I'm busy). Does that mean they just continued with the same numbers despite switching lines, or did they pump out at least 80 figures in like 2 years?

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:11 am
Dyrakro wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:40 am No man, this one is an official one. Bandai stopped with production of UM500S sofubis in 2016/2017 and rebooted the whole line as UMS. So now this line is the official and same name carrying successor of the old 6" line.

Phew, that's a real relief! Thanks for weighing in with the info. I'm glad about that. It means I can safely take a hairdryer to this bad boy without fear, then. So hold on, this is number 80-something right? (Can't be bothered to refer back to the images right now, I'm busy). Does that mean they just continued with the same numbers despite switching lines, or did they pump out at least 80 figures in like 2 years?
The first is the case ;)
Bandai just continued with the numbering and the monsters from the first line. Though on a side not Ultraman X and Ultraman Orb's kaijus were part of a separate side line. Thus Kaijus like Kelbeam, Hyper Zetton Deathscythe or Mecha Gomora were later added with a number as they never got reissued as UMX/UMO sofubis. There are still some Kaijus like King Gesura, Houlinga, Renki or Empowered Bemular that weren't included in the regular line and are only available in the respictive season line. If you need some heads up on which one belongs to which or other stuff, just PN me. I'm glad to help others out in this haha

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Where is a good place to order the Singular Point Anguirus from?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Good luck.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Do the Ultra 500 Ultramen scale well with the typical 6 inch kaiju?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:27 pm Do the Ultra 500 Ultramen scale well with the typical 6 inch kaiju?
Yes, actually. Not perfect by any means, but they actually look A LOT better than the older, 6" Ultras that generally stood eye to eye, if not taller, than most same scale kaiju despite it being completely opposite in all the shows.

Added in 49 seconds:
Godzillakuj94 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:17 pm Where is a good place to order the Singular Point Anguirus from?
HLJ has him, Manda and the GodzillaTitanosaurusWhateverItIs on Back Order, so another shipment is due anytime. Do not resort to Ebay scalpers.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?