Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:29 pm While it will be nice to have a new Bandai Megalon, I guarantee if this came out in 2002 it would have had more attention to detail in the sculpt and paint.
I don't entirely disagree with you, but I got my SP Manda in the mail two weeks ago, and I cannot get over it. It's the best looking MMS figure as far as paint detail, sculpting, etc I've seen in a really long time. I quit MMS when they started to just drop repackaged Bandai Creations figures, but these SP bois just pulled me back in. Have you got your hands on the 95 Gamera from last year? That thing stands shoulder-to-shoulder with my SHMA Gameras. It's a thing of beauty.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I put a few pics of Gamera back on page 238/239 because I was surprised at how well he works. I got a Jet Jaguar (American) for my birthday, and he also scales well with music-box Godzilla too. At this point my monster shelf is a weird hybrid of SHMA, MMS, NECA, and "whatever else does the job".

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Im not saying all the Bandais look lower quality. Some are just fine. But I don't think the level of consistency the toys had achieved between, say, 2001 and 2007 is really there any more.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I'd definitely agree with that. While Jet Jaguar looks spot-on, and the Mothras and Gamera are really great, Ghidorah only made it onto my shelf because it was the cheapest way going to set up what I wanted. I will replace him as soon as I find one both better and not $250+ for a toy with known joint problems.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:29 pm I remember about a 20 years ago when Bandai would put out figures like MGll, Titanosaurus and Godzilla 74. Gorgeous toys that could be had for practically lunch money if you made sure to buy them when they were brand new. For the most part that level of craftsmanship has disappeared from the retail line. While it will be nice to have a new Bandai Megalon, I guarantee if this came out in 2002 it would have had more attention to detail in the sculpt and paint.

The retail Bandai line should have evolved to look like the Premium line that they're wallet raping consumers for. Instead collectors are paying about $30 for toys that don't look as nice as items sold 20 years ago, and $100+ for figures that are good but not spectacular.
Well put! This is more or less what I've been driving at a bit in this thread myself. I look at some of the previous MMS-series releases on my shelf, especially those of that early-mid 2000's range, and still marvel at how gorgeous some of them are (and how cheap they retailed for!). I still can't get over how beautiful the paint highlights are on the likes of Titanosaurus, or Hedorah, or even Rodan 2004 (one of the reissues at least). Even the incredibly simple paint wash of the Godzilla: The Ride figures are demanding premium prices, it seems.

They'd never release anything with even half this paint these days -

Meanwhile, just a couple years ago they couldn't be bothered to paint Gigan's fins properly on the reissue. Or most of his body, evidently. Pretty embarrassing.

I think this year's offerings have been a massive improvement over the last few years, but I do wish we could get back to what we used to have there without the real good stuff like Frankenstein & the Gargantuas being regulated to that "Premium" line horseshit. Or even those "Heavy Paint Version" releases that have been an absolute joke.

Now with all that being said, I've made peace with it all, the decline in quality. It seems like the quality with a lot of toy companies has gone down in the last decade or two, though prices certainly haven't. But it is what it is. I'm satisfied with what we've been getting this year; definitely a step up in both quality and quantity, at least in comparison to what's been released since Godzilla 2014. I've made peace with it some years ago, and because of that I'm actually pretty excited for all the releases we're getting now! :D

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The level of detail is still very much there even if the paint apps are not.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:05 pm The level of detail is still very much there even if the paint apps are not.
Oh yeah, for sure. Its rare that Bandai misses the mark with a sculpt (though it does happen). Some have pointed out that Gorosaurus and Megalon have a few "off" details like Goro's snout being too short or Megalon's horn being too big, but I think they still fully capture the characters in question (whilst also paying homage to the older releases) so it doesn't bother me personally. The minute details in the scales and bumps and all are also still great.

I do love this line a lot, for all my little quibbles. I actually should be getting the SP Anguirus and Manda in this week! :)

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

If you don't get it, look up the MST3K Jet Jaguar Song! And also, you kids get off my lawn.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Man that Titanosaurus. MMS Titanosaurus is a figure I’ve been seeking out for a looong time. That and some sort of Megagurius figure.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:56 pm Man that Titanosaurus. MMS Titanosaurus is a figure I’ve been seeking out for a looong time. That and some sort of Megagurius figure.
Can't go wrong with the 6" figure from the Godzilla x Megaguirus blister set, if you can ever find it for a decent price. The legs are a little awkward but its a gorgeous figure (though mine has a big scratch on one eye).

I'm a little surprised they never reissued Titanosaurus. They've been showing a lot of love for Showa lately, a reissue could always be on the horizon.
Spoiler:
Perhaps Godzilla Aquatilis rejuvenated interest as well?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Still holding out for a Salunga.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Adeno
Monarch Researcher

Post by Adeno »

Finally got Movie Monster Series Godzilla "The Ride", I love him! I hope they make a Monsterarts version!

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

The weirdo fan inside of me made me hesitate on the ride figure, just because it's not in a movie. But, I said "screw it" and grabbed one. Good thing too, since it looks like AC capped on their orders. Ya know, in a world of X Plus and SHMA, there's something really nice about just good ole solid MMS figures.
Last edited by KingKaiju on Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

So, considering a new Daimajin related property is coming out, maybe a Daimajin MMS is possible?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:56 pmThat and some sort of Megagurius figure.
Theater Exclusive one is pretty nice. Not very accurate, color wise, but it really pops.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Heads up, for anyone interested in the ride vinyls, CD Japan has Godzilla or Ghidorah for just under 40 bucks a pop. They're proxy shopping, and I think you can only get one or the other, but pretty good deal nonetheless.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

KingKaiju wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:49 pm The weirdo fan inside of me made me hesitate on the ride figure, just because it's not in a movie. But, I said "screw it" and grabbed one. Good thing too, since it looks like AC capped on their orders. Ya know, in a world of X Plus and SHMA, there's something really nice about just good ole solid MMS figures.
I thought the same thing with USJ King Ghidorah but really glad I did as its one of my favorite designs. Also for the people getting Godzilla ride figure are you getting KG as well? I was going to pick Godzilla up but I don't know if I want KG to go with him or not and wanted to know what peoples opinion of him were.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:22 pm Nice to have confirmation Neronga will indeed retain is camouflage ability.
We already knew that.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

DoubleDam21 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:23 am Also for the people getting Godzilla ride figure are you getting KG as well? I was going to pick Godzilla up but I don't know if I want KG to go with him or not and wanted to know what peoples opinion of him were.
For me, nah. I only want the Godzilla to complete my collection of Godzilla designs. No interest in the Ghidorah as the design doesn't appeal to me.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:01 pm So, considering a new Daimajin related property is coming out, maybe a Daimajin MMS is possible?
Has Bandai ever touched Daimajin before?

I'd certainly be down for it, I could use a good Daimajin in my collection. New design looks killer as well.
DoubleDam21 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:23 am
KingKaiju wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:49 pm The weirdo fan inside of me made me hesitate on the ride figure, just because it's not in a movie. But, I said "screw it" and grabbed one. Good thing too, since it looks like AC capped on their orders. Ya know, in a world of X Plus and SHMA, there's something really nice about just good ole solid MMS figures.
I thought the same thing with USJ King Ghidorah but really glad I did as its one of my favorite designs. Also for the people getting Godzilla ride figure are you getting KG as well? I was going to pick Godzilla up but I don't know if I want KG to go with him or not and wanted to know what peoples opinion of him were.
I actually just secured my Godzilla: The Ride figures today; hate paying so much, but like many others, I'm just in love with the Godzilla design and needed a figure of it. Its a movie-worthy design.

I also chose to get Ghidorah too, partly to go with my "Shin Ghidorah" from the USJ ride. If you're on the fence, I'd say it really depends on how you feel about the design and Ghidorah in general. I'm not crazy about it but I like certain aspects enough, and its neat to be able to compare all the Ghidorah designs over the years through these figures.