Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by OGMechaMothra »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:00 pm Of course, it's always nice to support a smaller US dealer who is doing it specifically for the community. Out of all the US options for this stuff, this site is still the best there is, especially considering there are some lunatics out there price gouging the crap out of these toys.

Agreed. I will support them if something isn't on sale through HLJ. Thanks again for the information.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:10 am Ok, so it has been a looooong time since I've posted here, but ocassiinally I'll pop into the toy and media threads since a lot of interesting discussion happens there. But I haven't felt the need to post again until now.

I see a lot of people here worrying about where and how to order/preorder new Bandai figures, and sites like HLJ seem to be mentioned often. But is anyone here aware of the website Showcase Daikaiju? It's an American dealer run by someone who has been in the business of selling these types of toys for decades. Prices are EXTREMELY competitive, he stocks all new Bandais, shipping is within the US and the dealer is easily accessible via Facebook and will answer all concerns. Megalon is up for preorder and he even plans to add the theme park figures to the site.

Why buy from somewhere like HLJ and pay to ship from Japan when a great user friendly option exists in this country? Give it a try guys.

https://showcasedaikaiju.com/
Didn't realize Showcase had pre-orders for these. Do they charge immediately or are they "order now, pay later"?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I believe it's order now, pay later. I used PayPal to preorder the Jet Jaguar and Megalon and nothing has been deducted from my account yet so...

And yeah, he said he does plan on adding the theme park figures, but they're not available for preorder yet and he's not sure what they'll cost when they are.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Awesome. I'll place an order for Megalon and the new Jet Jaguar. I've bought from Sean and co. at G-FEST multiple times, they're great dealers.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Executive Hamster wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:29 pm 2021 seems to be the year of MMS finally coming back to the greatness it once was.
Absolutely - we got a little taste in 2020 with Gamera, but 2021 is the big comeback. It's like the early to mid-00's all over again.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:57 pm
Executive Hamster wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:29 pm 2021 seems to be the year of MMS finally coming back to the greatness it once was.
Absolutely - we got a little taste in 2020 with Gamera, but 2021 is the big comeback. It's like the early to mid-00's all over again.
And yet...not a single thing all the new Bandais are from is a legit theatrical film made by Toho. Crazy.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

True, character selection could be better - there are plenty of classic kaiju that need the 6" vinyl treatment (and I still think they should reissue more Memorial Box pieces, seems like easy money). But the quality is back, and there are plenty of new molds to behold, so I'm optimistic.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Wait hold the fuck up...........Legion1979 has come back?

I really need to stop drinking.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:24 pm Godzilla Fes is not the same as G-FEST, no.
With all the rapid-fire new release news, I think this may have gotten lost in the shuffle.

So what is Godzilla Fes?

Xenagoji7802
Samurai

Post by Xenagoji7802 »

Wow I just watched ShinRobjira's review of MechaG 2021 and it looks AMAZING. Definitely gonna pick that mechanical beast up. No way I'm getting the SHMA lol, too pricey for me.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:16 am
UltramanGoji wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:24 pm Godzilla Fes is not the same as G-FEST, no.
With all the rapid-fire new release news, I think this may have gotten lost in the shuffle.

So what is Godzilla Fes?
G-Fes is a yearly Godzilla celebration that Toho holds in Godzilla square. It's usually around Godzilla's birthday. They usually have special guests, figures and food.

However, because of corona, they've recently sent it online. Last year they had a small one that showcased some toys, some hints to upcoming projects and not really much else. I suppose at that moment putting it online means they can make it more international. And this year because of Godzilla vs. Kong and Godzilla SP they are doing it earlier, in may.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:14 pm
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:57 pm
And yet...not a single thing all the new Bandais are from is a legit theatrical film made by Toho. Crazy.
O_o I legit had to do a double take here. History aside, welcome back. And yeah, I still chuckle at "Movie Monster Series" titles for the SP crew and Godziban stuff.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Welcome back, Legion1979!

While I still primarily use HLJ for my Bandai purchases, due to the affordable shipping rates, I CAN vouch for Showcase Daikaiju as a reliable seller. I've purchased some neat items at good prices from the site before, and I've been very satisfied each time.

...Yeah, it IS a bit ironic that half the new MMS figures aren't from feature films at all, and another third are from films which are decades old now; but it certainly pleases me to see the line so active again. I do wish the new Megalon was at least a LITTLE more dynamic in pose - the arms joints look next to useless. It looks pretty good otherwise, though, and it's been a long time coming.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:29 pm True, character selection could be better - there are plenty of classic kaiju that need the 6" vinyl treatment (and I still think they should reissue more Memorial Box pieces, seems like easy money). But the quality is back, and there are plenty of new molds to behold, so I'm optimistic.
I mean hey, we still got that (probably) Gorosaurus to be revealed. That plus Megalon and Jet Jaguar is three classic kaiju that are at the very least rare in 6th inch scale.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:29 pm True, character selection could be better - there are plenty of classic kaiju that need the 6" vinyl treatment (and I still think they should reissue more Memorial Box pieces, seems like easy money). But the quality is back, and there are plenty of new molds to behold, so I'm optimistic.
In recent years we've gotten Biollante, Megalon and Gorosaurus, as well as some re-issues of older Showa monsters you might not expect. I won't say too much, but seeing as some of the releases are based on older monsters, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Titanosaurus or other Showa monsters someday.

But at this point, what do you all consider monsters that are in desperate need of MMS treatment, that are feasible?
Kamacuras
Kumonga
Megagurius
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon May 17, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:26 pm
In recent years we've gotten Biollante, Megalon and Gorosaurus, as well as some re-issues of older Showa monsters you might not expect. I won't say too much, but seeing as some of the releases are based on older monsters, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Titanosaurus or other Showa monsters someday.

But at this point, what do you all consider monsters that are in desperate need of MMS treatment, that are feasible?
Kamacuras
Kumonga
Megagurius
Kamacuras
Kumonga
Ebirah
Showa Mothra
Showa Rodan
Showa Ghidorah
Baragon
Varan

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Ebirah is a big one for me, that Y-MSF figure is so expensive, but he's one of my favorite Kaiju so I feel like I need him. I think they should reissue the original Godzilla Collection line up in 6 inch scale. I especially want to see what bandai could do for an updated Ghidogoji sculpt. On that note Id like to see all of the heisei suits that never got their own figures get one, as well as more memorial box reissues, but I digress.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Executive Hamster wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:41 pm Ebirah is a big one for me, that Y-MSF figure is so expensive, but he's one of my favorite Kaiju so I feel like I need him. I think they should reissue the original Godzilla Collection line up in 6 inch scale. I especially want to see what bandai could do for an updated Ghidogoji sculpt. On that note Id like to see all of the heisei suits that never got their own figures get one, as well as more memorial box reissues, but I digress.
Ebirah, oh yeah. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but Ebirah got 2nd place in the figure contest (I think, this is based on the MMS contest a few months ago and the final results aren't public). Hopefully, rather than just make Gorosaurus (the presumed winner), they'll do an Ebirah figure too. But hey can wait, I'm behind on the MMS series!

Btw, when I went to the store the other day, I saw both the Gabora and Neronga Shin Ultraman figures. For those curious, they'd fit right in alongside a Godzilla collection because of their quality and how monstrous they look.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Man, Showcase Daikaiju has sneakily been the real MVP for years. I was able to get some classic figures from that site for far better prices than I would have on Ebay, Amazon, or even Godzilla Facebook groups.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

https://twitter.com/godzillasoul/status ... 9334256640

What I would give to be there...

https://twitter.com/godzillasoul/status ... 9892999172

I love when these figures have that nice paint wash over them; it really makes a world of difference, IMO, let the detail really pop. I honestly wish they would do this with more figures, though I suppose it may drive the price up a bit.
Spoiler:
In particular, Godzilla Amphibia really could've used this. It just looks too plain to me when compared to the official art.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Tue May 18, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.