General Gashapon/Small Figurine Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Re: POST YOUR GASHAPONS !!!

Post by vastatosaurus »

I got Aqua Mothra.

I think this could be one of the best of all HG series.
Last edited by vastatosaurus on Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Wow thank you for the pics! And yes I agree, it looks beautiful. Really happy to see a relatively obscure form of Mothra get some love. Here’s to hoping Daghara is next!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

The translucent wings are a very nice touch, makes me hope mine will arrive soon. Hard to believe this is only the second Mothra in the D+ line. I would really be happy if Bandai throws in another Mothra version in the next few sets, preferably one that hasn't been in HG form yet such as Rainbow Mothra (I prefer the teal color pattern from RoM II but the RoM III isn't bad), Eternal Mothra, or even Mothra 1961. Heck, even Lightspeed Mothra looks like it was meant to be made out of plastic.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Got the Godzilla vs. Kong set. Its better than I thought it'd be, though certain aspects feel a little rushed/lazy, like just reusing all the old effects pieces. And I really don't like Kong's figure, needing that damn rock to even stand. I want to see a better Kong in a more neutral, natural stance. Still, the other figures are great, especially Mechagodzilla.
darkcancer wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:43 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:10 am
Petezilla wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:47 pm
What really works wonders VS the warpage problem with these is (very) warm water. As can be read a few posts above, I got the Skeleton Gashapon set and the Ghidorah wing bones were spread in all directions, like an ancient toothbrush. I put the pieces in a sink filled with 40+ °C water and left them in there for a while refilling the sink with hot water when it had cooled down. After like an hour or so the wings were bend back into their original intended shape. Directly afterwards I put them in the freezer for like 30 minutes. They are still in shape today.

The same method worked with the HG D+ Ghidorah 2019 from the 1st set, which had the wings bend almost into a wing-walking position. Now the wings are nicely spread out like on the advertisement pictures.
Hmm, It's the same thing with my Kong with axe figure. I'll try what you recommend with spares, but I could easily see the reverse happen when it winds up warping the figure worse.
I can confirm the hot water method works. I do it with almost every set I get, but for shorter time than Peterzilla does.
This only seems to work with newer stuff, in my experience at least. I was able to fix Kong's bendy axe with ease using just a hairdryer, but some of the older figures I got have bendy issues that I haven't been able to fix, like HG-7's King Ghidorah 1964. But that one was probably stuck in a capsule for a decade or more, so that's probably why its stuck the way it is.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Any talk of a next set? We've gotten all the sets that have been hyped up for months, and now suddenly there's no news.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

I haven't heard anything and I try to check 1-2 times a week for new news. I think 06 and 07 ended up being released so close together due to production/COVID issues. Normally its between 4-6 months for sets and those 2 were only two months apart.

I'm thinking the next D+EX and 08 will be announced pretty close together, probably both for early 2022 (guessing D+EX03 would be released sometime around March-April, no reasonable guess for D+08). Now these guesses are based on very little evidence and patterns of 2 so take them with a grain of salt.

What I think is plausible (and also hoping for) is Final Wars Godzilla & Hedorah thanks to the new short, or even a Hedorah evolution set (makes sense for the EX) for the anniversary and all the other Hedorah items being announced recently. Once again, this is based on nothing solid and is pretty much just my wishful thinking haha, but its fun to conjecture!

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

My guess is that the next set may be 2004 or 1995 themed. The 1995 Burning Godzilla is more often than not one of the early releases of any Godzilla toy line, yet he's missing from the D+ series so far.
Size DOES matter!

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

These were revealed a month ago but evidently slipped under the radar: Gamera 2 set! Next spring.

Interesting that there's no queen Legion, but maybe they'll do some big premium version. The Konami Legion is enough for me. Always happy to see more figures of the soldier Legions too, I have a movie prop of that guy. :)

They're also doing what appears to be tiny models of vehicles. All of these are from Godzilla vs. Destoroyah.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Who’s doing those model kits and where can I find them?!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:26 am They're also doing what appears to be tiny models of vehicles. All of these are from Godzilla vs. Destoroyah.

Sorry for the double post. I should’ve quoted you the first time. Does anyone have more info on these kits? I’m really interested in them but without know what they’re called or who makes them I can’t find them anywhere.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:46 am
Shenanigans wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:26 am They're also doing what appears to be tiny models of vehicles. All of these are from Godzilla vs. Destoroyah.

Sorry for the double post. I should’ve quoted you the first time. Does anyone have more info on these kits? I’m really interested in them but without know what they’re called or who makes them I can’t find them anywhere.
They're Bandai gashapons, but no details are available yet.

https://twitter.com/gashapon_tkst/statu ... 4986678273

These could certainly be useful if they're cheap enough, though I'm hoping for more exciting choices too, like the 60's Maser Cannon.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Cool, thanks. I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled. I’ve been diving deep into model building recently and I’ve been eyeing a number of accessory sets (military vehicles and bases, japanese buildings, etc.) that are in scale with some of my Godzilla figures. I’d LOVE to build some kits of actual Toho vehicles!

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

So they announced "Gashapon HGX", apparently a new line for next year (and thankfully not some overpriced "premium" crap). Not really sure if there's anything meaningful difference between this new line and the standard gashapons. Burning Godzilla has been revealed. Translation says something about "luminous unit"; I've seen some light-up Ultraman gashapons, so maybe that's what these will be? Not sure though.

https://twitter.com/gashapon_tkst/statu ... 2792852484

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I wonder if those gashapon GvD vehicles are in the same scale as the SHMA ones?

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

So apparently the nice HG D+ (with Diorama base) series is over already then...?
Crap, I really liked those and got all of them so far. I never collected Gashapon figures before, but these got me into that realm. I will likely never use that new lightup-feature anyway, so I'd rather liked the HG D+ line to continue instead, but... oh, well...
Size DOES matter!

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

I don't think the HG D+ line is over, I suspect the HGX line might be parallel or possibly limited line. I don't see there being too many options for kaiju that light up. I mean Burning Godzilla is an obvious choice, but next to that I can only see maybe some Mechagodzilla's with the eyes, maybe Mothra with eyes, and possibly a SpaceGodzilla or Destroyah with a glow effect. Not too many kaiju really had a glow going on, and even he HGD+ EX02 Biollante already has the light up function. They could always just make any kaiju glow with a light though, nothing is really limiting Bandai to screen-accurate lighting for kaiju.

I do still expect there to be HG D+08 announced in the future though.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Hmm. Interesting turn of events. I kind of hope we see a light up SpaceGodzilla. Not sure how to feel if HG D+ is over, but it would explain why we haven't heard any news on a set yet.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

^But we just got a really good SpaceGodzilla. Burning Godzilla is cool and all, and I’ll pick it up, but as mentioned the other stuff was fine. Plus, I’d assume this is going to be more expensive.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:13 pm ^But we just got a really good SpaceGodzilla. Burning Godzilla is cool and all, and I’ll pick it up, but as mentioned the other stuff was fine. Plus, I’d assume this is going to be more expensive.
Yeah, well, no such thing as too much SpaceGodzilla.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Thinking about it: what would be cool is the flying form on a stand! I don't think many figures exist of the SG flying form.