Knockoff Godzilla Toys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Re: Knockoff Godzilla Toys

Post by Shenanigans »

Last year I discovered a very interesting bootleg figure. Rarely do bootlegs ever actually add anything to a collection, but every now and then you'll find something new that isn't just a copy of an existing figure, like that S.H. Monsterarts Showa Ghidorah. This one isn't *quite* so unique, but still worth getting IMO:

Mini Rainbow Mothra! It's based on the Bandai USA 6" figure, but it's only half the size.

With a wingspan of 5", it's almost perfect for 3" Scale figures like Gashapon figures. It's funny, because I collect 3" figures wherever possible, as most Godzilla and Toho monsters have 3" figures between Gashapon and Iwakura and the like. But it's always bothered me that Rainbow Mothra never received a proper 3" figure through any official sources, or at least none that I'm aware. Now there's a surprisingly good stand-in from an unlikely source.

Here it is with the ROM trilogy Mothras:

And here it is with all of the Gashapon Mothras:

It's surprisingly decent for a bootleg figure; paint is pretty crisp. Still looks kind of glossy and cheap, and though I wish the wings were painted to the edges, you can hardly complain. Even the underside is fully painted - unlike some authentic Mothra figures!

It comes in a lot of 8 mini bootlegs, including a super tiny version of Bandai's 8" King Ghidorah 2001! Look up "Godzilla 8pcs" to find it on Ebay or Aliexpress, should be able to find the set cheap enough if anyone else cares to grab one. I thought it was worth it; fills a hole in my 3" collection.

Now all we need is a good 3" Showa Mothra... ;)

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Holy crap, those look amazing.

I'm gonna grab that set for sure, especially for the FW Anguirus. Wanted a gashapon sized one of those for ages.

RIP Evan.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Holy crap, those look amazing.

I'm gonna grab that set for sure, especially for the FW Anguirus. Wanted a gashapon sized one of those for ages.
I should warn you that it's a little bigger than Gashapon sized. Most from this bootleg set, including the Anguirus, Kiryu, Godzilla, and Rodan, are copies of the Battle Box/Shokugan mini Bandai figures, same size and all. They're roughly 4" scale, a bit too large for Gashapons if you're picky like me, but the size difference might not bother you. Here's a reference photo between the authentic one and the Gashapon Showa Anguirus -

If you're getting the set for the Anguirus, I'd recommend finding the authentic one; Bandai reissued it recently and it can be found in lot of different stores nowadays, from Target to Walgreens. I think they're pretty cheap.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I was looking on Ebay, just to look and found this!

And there's a good version!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:I was looking on Ebay, just to look and found this!

And there's a good version!
Actually really cool! Dig the coloring on the second one!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Found some new Godzilla vs. Kong bootlegs, and uh... they're something all right.

"SLOTH LOVE CHUNK!"

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Shenanigans wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:18 pm Found some new Godzilla vs. Kong bootlegs, and uh... they're something all right.
https://i.imgur.com/knnd1ZK.jpg

"SLOTH LOVE CHUNK!"
Jesus Christ that kong does look like fricken sloth.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Hahaha, wow.... already?? The Godzilla ones look kinda cool, actually. I like the poses on them.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Several months ago, I located and acquired a bootleg that has been one of my 'holy grails' for a long time - this mythical and awesome two-headed Godzilla figure:

Resized Image

Resized Image
Last edited by G1985 on Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

G1985 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:47 pm Several months ago, I located and acquired a bootleg that has been one of my 'holy grails' for a long time - this mythical and awesome two-headed Godzilla figure:

Resized Image

Resized Image
Where. In God's name. Did you find that?

Actually, I'm guessing Ebay. Is there anything on it that identifies exactly what it is? I've wanted one for ages.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:07 pm Where. In God's name. Did you find that?

Actually, I'm guessing Ebay. Is there anything on it that identifies exactly what it is? I've wanted one for ages.
I wanted one for a long time, too - and I'd searched through a LOT of haystacks before I finally found the needle in a haystack. Paid a ridiculous chunk of money for it too, thinking if I didn't snatch it up then and there I would never stumble across one again! Unfortunately there are no markings anywhere on the figure to tell when it was made or who made it.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Might have been posted before but this Godzilla 1998 bootleg appeared on my ebay. It looks pretty cool, but it stupid expensive.
The description says its “THE RAREST COLLECTIBLE EVER MADE OF THIS USA GODZILLA! IN NEAR MINT CONDITION - AWESOME HUGE FIGURE! ”

Then there is this one, not sure if its a bootleg or a repaint

Bootleg X plus as well

Also found this one interesting

These are all currently being sold on eBay.
And I guess I should mention that I actually own a bootleg
I got this GMK King Ghidorah for free with my eBucks. Pretty funny that even a bootleg GMK King Ghidorah still looks leagues better than the ugly Bandai America figure.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I don't know if this is a knockoff or not, it's from the mid 1980's and was the first Godzilla I ever had, found at a book fair in the first grade. There's no markings anywhere on it, it's one of those things that hangs on clothes or a pencil by the forelimbs. Anyone have any idea what it is? It's held up very well over the years, and I now use it as my 'little Godzilla' to my musical one.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Here's a GINO bootleg I would love to own. I grabbed this picture a LONG time ago, and I don't recall from where. Anyone know anything about this one?

Resized Image

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Oooh, that looks awesome!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Bootleg Funko figures

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Fucking hell.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I genuinely thought you stretched the images. The fuck are those glorious things?

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

We got some WIDE boys here

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:20 pm I genuinely thought you stretched the images. The fuck are those glorious things?
What are they? Airpod cases, apparently.

Why do they exist? I have no answers.