Custom Action Figures Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Re: Custom Action Figures Thread

Post by DirektorSplennic »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:I'm back in business! Turns out the reason my printer didn't work was because of a single loose screw. Found this out a few days ago after I bought and replaced a ton of stuff trying to fix it.
How big are those?
These ones were 3 inch scale, but soon after I printed 6 inch ones. They're almost identical but with more separate parts and clearer detail. I'll some of my recent 6 inch stuff later today.

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla Vinyl Mania »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:I'm back in business! Turns out the reason my printer didn't work was because of a single loose screw. Found this out a few days ago after I bought and replaced a ton of stuff trying to fix it.
How big are those?
These ones were 3 inch scale, but soon after I printed 6 inch ones. They're almost identical but with more separate parts and clearer detail. I'll some of my recent 6 inch stuff later today.
So you had a screw loose?? :)
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Godzilla Vinyl Mania wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: How big are those?
So you had a screw loose?? :)
*sigh* yup.

Added in 15 days 22 hours 36 minutes 58 seconds:
Here's some stuff. 6 inch scale Godzilla and Kong 62 are the highlights. The mushroom man is named Fungalar and if you don't say hi to him he'll cry. Also I have by boi Tempus Rex printed as two figures.

Added in 3 days 3 hours 37 minutes 33 seconds:
I made a bust of Singular Point's Godzilla design, based off that sketch released a while ago:
This design has really grown on me.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Figured I'd post this here as well, Photon Collectibles MUTO set, custom painted by me.

____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Wow! That paint job looks sick!

Here's another image dump, I did this figure a while back (I think I posted the digital model a few months ago)
My GMK Poster Goji!

And as a little bonus here's something I cooked up last night, the Jaw Titan, from Attack on Titan season 4.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:15 pm Wow! That paint job looks sick!

Here's another image dump, I did this figure a while back (I think I posted the digital model a few months ago)
My GMK Poster Goji!

And as a little bonus here's something I cooked up last night, the Jaw Titan, from Attack on Titan season 4.
Thank you!!! Fantastic job on that Poster GMK Goji, i really dig how ferocious he looks! Actually you and Photon Collectibles are some of the 3D designers who inspired me to go and order a 3D printer!

I decided on a Resin printer since they seem to print a bit smoother and more durable than the (plastic?) spool kind. Ended up going with an Elegoo Mars Pro, since they're aesthetically pleasing and seem to have some preferable qualities over the Photon series. It's coming this Sunday, so until then I have to figure out how to sculpt/slice pieces on Blender and Chitu, fit joints, and get myself familiar with the hardware.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:15 pm
DirektorSplennic wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:15 pm Wow! That paint job looks sick!

My GMK Poster Goji!

Thank you!!! Fantastic job on that Poster GMK Goji, i really dig how ferocious he looks! Actually you and Photon Collectibles are some of the 3D designers who inspired me to go and order a 3D printer!

I decided on a Resin printer since they seem to print a bit smoother and more durable than the (plastic?) spool kind. Ended up going with an Elegoo Mars Pro, since they're aesthetically pleasing and seem to have some preferable qualities over the Photon series. It's coming this Sunday, so until then I have to figure out how to sculpt/slice pieces on Blender and Chitu, fit joints, and get myself familiar with the hardware.
That's awesome I was an inspiration! I need a resin printer at some point. I'm starting to doubt if I can sell anything pla since it isn't nearly as durable as the resin stuff. Just be cautious of touching uncured resin with your bare hands. That stuff is toxic, but obviously the printer's manual will tell you all that.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

It’s not just the durability. The print quality of resin is just orders of magnitude better than filament printers.

Gotta say I’m a smidge jealous. I want a resin printer and an airbrush so bad. But we bought a new house this summer and boring stuff like getting (very much needed) new carpet, having dead trees removed before they fell on the roof, and buying the kids Christmas presents have taken precedent...

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Direktor Splennic you taking commissions yet? Your skill is there already.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:11 am Direktor Splennic you taking commissions yet? Your skill is there already.
That seriously means a lot man, but I'm still not quite ready yet. When I am though I will make it clear across multiple platforms.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

So I can't take much credit here until my paint job on this guy is done but, here's my print out of DopePopes EPIC Titanosaurus model. Scaling on slicer applications are an absolute mess since there is no mm to inch translator, and the mm they use don't line up with the mm you find online. It's super weird.

Anyway, the size of him is completely custom on my part, as you can print out his models in any size (depending on printer size, mine being a Mars Pro). I decided on him being a good head and a half taller since I always remember Titanosaurus as being quite the lanky character. His stats say he's about 10 meters taller than Godzilla too so, I felt a bit comfortable giving him a good bit of height.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I think I need a 3D printer....
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Maritonic wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:40 pm I think I need a 3D printer....
One of the best decisions I've ever made honestly. A bit of a mess when you first start out, but once you get the hang of it it's like you have your own little elf making whatever you want. I personally use a resin printer since it prints stronger and with less need for a sand-down, but the sky is the limit between Filament and Resin prints.

Added in 2 minutes 3 seconds:
It's funny that whole Titanosaurus cost me $5 in resin, and about $23 from Dopepopes Gambody site for the file.

I'm also printing out his Monster X and Spacegodzilla, but the print times for individual pieces can be incredibly tedious, 12 hours for a pair of legs, 10 hours for a head and 2 arms, etc etc.

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

I never got my Ender 3 Pro to print stuff properly, even with an upgrade kit. I more or less ended up giving up on it.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Beast Blood wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:47 pm I never got my Ender 3 Pro to print stuff properly, even with an upgrade kit. I more or less ended up giving up on it.
Yeah tbh that's why I couldn't push myself to get a filament printer, the printing process seemed very hit and miss without upgrades and internal improvements.

Resin Printers rely on UV heated resin, which I think is a bit more preferable.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Jesus, I need a resin printer.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Redid my custom 75 from last year. Image
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

With every print this Mars Pro proves its worth, I think 3D STL files are the future for affordable yet accurate obscure kaiju in the six inch scale honestly. Dopepopes Monster X model head print done, torso currently printing. Outside of some little spots that need some apoxie sculpt, this thing is spot on with the details.

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

That custom ‘75 update is a massive improvement! Nice job!

You guys are killing me with the resin prints. I finally broke down and bought myself an airbrush last week. A resin 3-D printer is the one other major hobby tool I want but have yet to get.

But I’m also trying to build a home theater in the basement and every dollar I spend on other hobbies is one less dollar I have to spend on that project...

Mixtape Nostalgia
Yojimbo

Post by Mixtape Nostalgia »

I am still in the concept stage but I am planning on doing a custom shin figure.