Custom Action Figures Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Re: Custom Action Figures Thread

Post by DirektorSplennic »

HERE WE GO!
I'm really proud of this one. I'm out of filament but when I get more I'll show him printed. Now I just gotta make his axe.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:10 pm HERE WE GO!
I'm really proud of this one. I'm out of filament but when I get more I'll show him printed. Now I just gotta make his axe.
Well done as usual. I was curious, since you're in the know. Are there any 3D printers that can also paint the model once it's done?
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:42 am
Well done as usual. I was curious, since you're in the know. Are there any 3D printers that can also paint the model once it's done?
There's actually a weird answer to that. The only printer I've ever seen print full color objects is a special type HeroForge uses for their custom miniatures. I have no idea what the thing is called and I guarantee it's a few thousand dollars, but it's genuinely one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Here's a stupid uestion..... can you add articulation to these or nah?

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

goji89 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:47 pm Here's a stupid uestion..... can you add articulation to these or nah?
I can add vinyl style articulation. I've done a few like that with Godzilla 62, Kong 62, and a few others. Check out my instagram posts (e.sculpts) if you're curious. I don't have the images on hand now.

Edit: Or go back a few pages on this thread, I forgot I posted them here.
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:50 pm
goji89 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:47 pm Here's a stupid uestion..... can you add articulation to these or nah?
I can add vinyl style articulation. I've done a few like that with Godzilla 62, Kong 62, and a few others. Check out my instagram posts (e.sculpts) if you're curious. I don't have the images on hand now.
You can? Damn.

I'll check it out thanks.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

That King Kong render looks totally brilliant!

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Direktor, have you had any interest in doing OG Pacific Rim kaiju? We never did get any toys of Onibaba or Slattern.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:40 pm Direktor, have you had any interest in doing OG Pacific Rim kaiju? We never did any toys of Onibaba or Slattern.
The amount of filament needed to make a Slattern in scale with the NECA stuff would make my wallet cry.

Seriously though I've almost never considered it, which is weird since the first Pacific Rim is one of my favorite movies period. My thought process for what figures to make mostly stems from me looking at my shelf and determining what characters I want that I don't have (with a few exceptions like Mothra and Godzilla 62), and don't feel like dropping loads of money for. Like when I made my 56 Rodan it was solely because I just really wanted it on my shelf, and it turned out to be one of my best models. I have a few Uprising kaiju but I guess I've never had the hunger for more PR kaiju, which still is weird considering how much I love the movie.

What I plan to do in the very near future is to open up commissions exclusively for original kaiju designs that people would submit to me. Since they're designs from the customer, I have no problem with just giving them the file, which if they have a printer they can just print out, resin or FDM. It'll give me a way to dip my toe into commissions, and save on filament costs and shipping (hatchbox filament is so hard to find now and the best colors are skyrocketing in price). Really all I need to do is determine a set price and I'm good to go.
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Slight pic spam, skimmed it down to 8 from 25 pics lol. These pics were taken before I touched up some minor paint scuffs.

Added in 3 minutes :
Awesome work on Corn Cob!
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

look at that beautiful piece of crap. Ah man that is stunningly painted for it being trash. My God man you out did yourself in painting that turd. Again you should give it to me so I can throw it away for you. Again, beautiful work on that painted turd bro.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

goji89 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:00 pm look at that beautiful piece of crap. Ah man that is stunningly painted for it being trash. My God man you out did yourself in painting that turd. Again you should give it to me so I can throw it away for you. Again, beautiful work on that painted turd bro.
Ay thanks man you know me, always painting up pretty garbage from the daily dumpster dives :lol:

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Photon Collectible’s Parisite set repaint. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Figured I'd sculpt this little dude since it's been a long time coming! Ever since KSI came out I've been a huge fan of the Spore Mantis, due to how unique the design is.. I mean a Mantis tree? How cool is that? I'm surprised he didn't get more props from the fans. I will add, this was originally going to be a 3D print but due to the entire body collapsing on itself due to the resin being too thin, I had to sculpt his little tree banana body myself, AND insert the head and legs into the right placement myself, plus the paint job :lol: .

So as far as I'm concerned this was a through and through custom recovery.

THE SPORE MANTIS

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

godzilla1541 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:23 am Photon Collectible’s Parisite set repaint. ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Man, I have got to tell ya. I've watched your progress from early on to now, and you have single handedly become one of my favorite customizers in the fandom. You should feel very proud of how far you've come.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:37 am Figured I'd sculpt this little dude since it's been a long time coming! Ever since KSI came out I've been a huge fan of the Spore Mantis, due to how unique the design is.. I mean a Mantis tree? How cool is that? I'm surprised he didn't get more props from the fans. I will add, this was originally going to be a 3D print but due to the entire body collapsing on itself due to the resin being too thin, I had to sculpt his little tree banana body myself, AND insert the head and legs into the right placement myself, plus the paint job :lol: .

So as far as I'm concerned this was a through and through custom recovery.

THE SPORE MANTIS

Wow, that looks beautiful! It's always great to see the forgotten, obscure characters getting some love.

Phenomenal job! Looks like it could be a real figure! :D
Last edited by Shenanigans on Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Shenanigans wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:06 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:37 am THE SPORE MANTIS

Wow, that looks beautiful! It's always great to see the forgotten, obscure characters getting some love.

Phenomenal job! Looks like it could be a real figure! :D
Thank you so much!! I totally agree, obscure characters deserve figures too :lol:

Added in 27 minutes 22 seconds:
Back with the rapid fire customs lol, this time with a 3.75" Shin Godzilla's Hellspawn that only ever made it to concept art. This design along with my paint job kinda gives it an animated look, which brings to mind the idea of seeing these guys in a one off anime but anyway:

I tried to keep the Shin G DNA in there, while still adding the skeletal appearance we see towards the end of the film. (The paint job isn't completely done, as u can see by the grayish toes)
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

The more I see the more I want to see you paint one of my models. Dear lord that's good.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:37 pm The more I see the more I want to see you paint one of my models. Dear lord that's good.
Lol thank you so much! I'd be open to it, other than college classes life is treating me pretty easy so far.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Ooooh, glad I found this thread. Definitely will be following this closely. Love the Mutos.