Custom Action Figures Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
shadowgigan
Futurian

Re: Custom Action Figures Thread

Post by shadowgigan »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:48 am Started this guy months ago and finally got around to finishing him a few weeks back.

Here's another redesign, this time of Godzilla 1954. I basically tried to make the original suit more modern and beefy (A lot of Shin features like the gills and ribcage) while retaining everything that made the 54 suit, well, the 54 suit. Shoulders are a little broad but they've grown on me.
Dude this is awesome! Do you use ZBrush to sculpt?

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:10 am
DirektorSplennic wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:48 am Started this guy months ago and finally got around to finishing him a few weeks back.

Here's another redesign, this time of Godzilla 1954. I basically tried to make the original suit more modern and beefy (A lot of Shin features like the gills and ribcage) while retaining everything that made the 54 suit, well, the 54 suit. Shoulders are a little broad but they've grown on me.
Blender still. I plan to try and transition to ZBrush maybe this summer.

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

That's a very cool Godzilla design! Reminds me a little of the 1984 poster art as well. I'd enjoy seeing a design like that in the next Toho film.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

That looks great!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:38 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:10 am

Blender still. I plan to try and transition to ZBrush maybe this summer.
*downloads Blender*

OrnithopodaistheBest
GPN Volunteer

Post by OrnithopodaistheBest »

Hoo boy! This is a really wonderful blend between the old and the new! Really digging your customs :)

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

great design. Are you going to paint it? Its kinda hard to see all the details right now, but I'm sure its as brilliant as your other sculpts.
He Jock it Made of Steel

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:36 am great design. Are you going to paint it? Its kinda hard to see all the details right now, but I'm sure its as brilliant as your other sculpts.
Eh I don't paint really ever, but I feel it'd look really good painted.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:59 pm
Jetty_Jags wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:36 am great design. Are you going to paint it? Its kinda hard to see all the details right now, but I'm sure its as brilliant as your other sculpts.
Eh I don't paint really ever, but I feel it'd look really good painted.
You don't paint? What kind of bullshyt is that? You just gotta man, you just gotta paint that masterpiece.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

^Agreed, that epic design deserves some paint.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

NickMockoviak
GPN Volunteer

Post by NickMockoviak »

Quick question: what brand(s) of paint and finishes do y'all use for your customs? Right now I'm using Vallejo for my paint, but no finishes like Mod-Podge. Anyone got a brand that they like?

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Here is my Godzilla Ultima sculpt. I've really grown an appreciation for this design after attempting to make it. His shovel jaw was fun to sculpt.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Not exactly 'custom' but I tried to repaint the old Pirates of the Caribbean figure as a Poster-Color style 1933 Ann Darrow. Mixed results...my plan now is to claim any sloppy paint, scuffs, or generally lousy outcome is the effect of being attacked by dinosaurs while being drug through the bushes by a giant ape, and it took several hours of work to make it so accurate. No one will notice!

Last edited by Platypus Prime on Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

In a few days I'll be getting this 8 inch Destoroyah done up by Walter (@Walterthe_only1 on instagram).
Also, according to some other users on TK, the Banpresto 1954 I bought a while ago might actually be a custom

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Finally giving custom action figures a try, anyone point me to a good paint brand? I got all set up to do a more accurate repaint of the Amber Collection Lost World Raptor only to discover my paints from work were JUST as quality as you could expect from the dollar store lol.

No real preference other then having a good vibrancy and being semi-cheap.

RIP Evan.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I use Tamiya acrylic model paints for most things these days. But they’re not cheap. I used to use the cheap apple barrel acrylics from the craft section if Walmart or hobby lobby. They are cheap, but the quality is pretty poor. Bottom line: you get what you pay for. If you’re serious about painting figures or kits, it’s worth paying more for quality paints (and brushes/tools!)

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

So, question for the repainters on here. Do you guys prime your figures before repainting, and if so what’s a good cheap brand to start with? Also, what color do you go with and how do I determine between something like black or grey?
Last edited by KingKaiju on Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Got the Destoroyah finally a few days ago. Looks too fuckin awesome!

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:25 pm Got the Destoroyah finally a few days ago. Looks too fuckin awesome!
If Bandai could've painted the wings like that, maybe the figure wouldn't have gotten so much (deserved) flack. Very nice!