Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
UltramanGoji

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'd say hair tie instead of rubber band around the ankles. You don't want the rubber to degrade and ruin the figure.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:51 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:44 pm
SpaceG92 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:35 pm I heard some people stuffed the lower part of Ghidorah with newpaper to stop them from bowing in and some people rubber banded the legs to get them to stand up straight and many trips to the fridge to get it to set that position. Personally I never had Keizer but just parroting what ive seen other people do.
I've had one of my ex's hair ties around Keizer's legs for a few years now to keep them from splitting. They were warped when I first got it (from our local lord Arbok) years ago, and this trick has fixed it and prevented them from splitting again.
Thanks guys! Okay so rubber band/hair tie around the legs and many trips to the fridge. As far as the wing goes, I assume that’d be the easiest part to fix, but also the hardest one to keep standing. Maybe I could stuff newspaper into the wings too?

Since it’s a rather old release it’ll probably be difficult finding figure fixes on YouTube.
I never used the fridge trick myself. I just always keep the tie around the legs which keeps them from splitting without compressing them together for the opposite problem. I don't think they're 100% back in proper shape with my method, but he stands well and the legs aren't as split wide open as when I got him. I'm not sure I'd risk the same thing with a rubber band, which is a lot tighter and also could leave that rubbery smell on the vinyl (not sure if would or not). The threat of "compressed" legs made me look for anything that was the general size of the regular leg distance without adding too much pressure that they'd compress. Found the tie on my bedroom floor ( ;) ) and thought about it for a second before giving it a try. Best thing I got out of that relationship.

I usually have a Zilla in front of him so you can never see the legs/tie anyway.

I have no idea how to fix wing sag without stands. My DesGhidorah has the same problem. Gravity just isn't a friend to big floppy things, ya know.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Does anyone know of or have comparison photos of the newly released Megaguirus and the original one from the bubble pack? Also, any suggestions on stands for flying MMS figures? These guys take up a lot of space on the shelf, and this could help.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

KingKaiju wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:49 am Does anyone know of or have comparison photos of the newly released Megaguirus and the original one from the bubble pack? Also, any suggestions on stands for flying MMS figures? These guys take up a lot of space on the shelf, and this could help.
I can do one for the Theater Exclusive Megaguirus. Same sculpt, just bizarre color choices.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:54 am
KingKaiju wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:49 am Does anyone know of or have comparison photos of the newly released Megaguirus and the original one from the bubble pack? Also, any suggestions on stands for flying MMS figures? These guys take up a lot of space on the shelf, and this could help.
I can do one for the Theater Exclusive Megaguirus. Same sculpt, just bizarre color choices.
That works! I'm just interested to see this new compared to the original.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

KingKaiju wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:58 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:54 am
That works! I'm just interested to see this new compared to the original.
Here ya' be. The original is a bit bigger and has separate legs, which is the biggest different, sculpt wise.

Quote of the Year:

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Man! The orignal still holds up really damn well!! New one looks good too, but that original is a solid solid figure!

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Man, HLJ Japan is no joke! I was out of luck from AC and Showcase Daikaiju for Battra, so I went there and decided since I was paying $50 for shipping that I might as well buy multiple figures. So I ordered Battra, Megaguirus, Legion, and Super Gyaos on Wednesday, and they arrived yesterday afternoon! Battra scales really well with the recent BioGoji release AND both seem to scale really really well with the 8" Battra Larva! Megaguirus looks great too!

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

OGMechaMothra wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:20 pm Maruzen Toy has listed preorders for the following Bandai Movie Monster Series figures releasing later this year.
Movie Monster Series Mechagodzilla 2002 11/5
Movie Monster Series Evangelion Unit 1 11/5
Movie Monster Series Evangelion Unit 2 11/5
Movie Monster Series Gamera 1996 11/26
Movie Monster Series Rodan (Gojiban edition) 12/24
Movie Monster Series Angilas (Gojiban edition) 12/24

Added in 5 minutes 8 seconds:
Shin Ultraman figures/spoilers:
Spoiler:
MOVIE MONSTER SERIES: ZOFFY & ZARAB are live on HLJ
I see 2002 Mechagodzilla and the 2 EVAs have leaked online and they are the EVAs and not the Mechagodzilla re-released.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

OGMechaMothra wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:48 am
OGMechaMothra wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:20 pm Maruzen Toy has listed preorders for the following Bandai Movie Monster Series figures releasing later this year.
Movie Monster Series Mechagodzilla 2002 11/5
Movie Monster Series Evangelion Unit 1 11/5
Movie Monster Series Evangelion Unit 2 11/5
Movie Monster Series Gamera 1996 11/26
Movie Monster Series Rodan (Gojiban edition) 12/24
Movie Monster Series Angilas (Gojiban edition) 12/24

Added in 5 minutes 8 seconds:
Shin Ultraman figures/spoilers:
Spoiler:
MOVIE MONSTER SERIES: ZOFFY & ZARAB are live on HLJ
I see 2002 Mechagodzilla and the 2 EVAs have leaked online and they are the EVAs and not the Mechagodzilla re-released.
Link?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I just want a photo of that Varan, damn it.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:31 am Link?
Here you go:

Also a picture of the new Mechagodzilla:

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Creature22 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:38 pm Also a picture of the new Mechagodzilla:
As happy as I am to finally see 2002 Kiryu in the MMS line, I must say the complete and utter lack of paint on the body is so fucking lame. Predictable perhaps given Heavy Arms 2003 Kiryu, but still disappointing. Looking at my original MMS 6" Kiryu with all the black paint where all the joints are, its like night and day.

Generally these releases have been moving in the right direction over the last few years, but alas Bandai has yet to return to the quality of yesteryear.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I miss when Bandai figures didn't LOOK like toys for preschoolers.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Finally received Kaiser, "fixed" the wing with some sponge material stuck into the wing shoulder closest to the body, to expand the hollow vinyl, hopefully resulting in a permanent fix, along with heat and cold-water. The legs are no where near as bad as i thought they'd be, but they are benefitting from the hairband (thanks again MM and SpaceG!)

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Yeah, even as someone who doesn't mind newer Bandai figures, that's just unacceptable. Oh well. I have my 8 inch.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I dont care about Evangelion. Was never going to buy those Bandais anyway. But if they were something I was looking forward to I'd be incredibly disappointed. And Kiryu is so bland.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I'm a fan of Evangelion, but I feel like the EVA units are an odd choice for the line, especially with how many figures of them are already out there. The Angels would have been a much more fitting addition, but maybe they'll add a few of them later.

It's evident that Bandai's budget only allows so much paint/color choices per wave compared to what they were probably given in the 1990s and 2000s. And if one character in the wave is given more attention to detail, it's at the expense of the others being released alongside it (seemed to be the case with Megalon and Battra).

I can forgive the smaller size and softened features (material cost and increasingly strict safety standards can't be helped), but the paint has always been an area where it's clear they can still knock it out of the park. I think it could be more easily forgiven if they switched to a glossier base vinyl. The flat matte colors they use probably add to the "cheap" factor more than anything.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The glossy vinyl and metallic paints really helped the older Bandais stand out. The original Megalon is no better than the new one in terms of sculpt. But the copper paint and glossy deep green vinyl makes the figure pop. Aside from the few silver accidents, last year's Megon is just a matte black lump on my shelf next to the far more colorful Jet Jaguar.

Really annoying how they save their best paint apps for limited Godzilla Store variants and tend to phone in the mass market retail stuff.

I'm dreading that Varan. Calling it now. It's gonna be a matte tan toy with minimal accents modeled after the moth-eaten prop from Destroy All Monsters. I hope I'm wrong.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:37 am The glossy vinyl and metallic paints really helped the older Bandais stand out. The original Megalon is no better than the new one in terms of sculpt. But the copper paint and glossy deep green vinyl makes the figure pop. Aside from the few silver accidents, last year's Megon is just a matte black lump on my shelf next to the far more colorful Jet Jaguar.

Really annoying how they save their best paint apps for limited Godzilla Store variants and tend to phone in the mass market retail stuff.

I'm dreading that Varan. Calling it now. It's gonna be a matte tan toy with minimal accents modeled after the moth-eaten prop from Destroy All Monsters. I hope I'm wrong.
Agreed. This is more or less where I stand on the current stuff; I think the sculpts are good and the paint apps are a mixed bag, but that matte base vinyl really kills the effect for a lot of them. It bugs me that the production photos tend to show a darker/glossier figure and then what we get is generally a few shades lighter and flat. Imagine if the latest Daimajin was molded in a glossy dark brown or if Godzilla 1991 had a glossy black like the original 8 inch release. The glossy vinyl made it a lot easier for Bandai to make a lot out of a little. I often wonder what made them make the switch.