Custom Action Figures Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Re: Custom Action Figures Thread

Post by Petezilla »

That Zetton could have totally come from the new Shin Ultraman movie. And I sooo want a figure of that Bagan design for too long... Tamashii did the poster version MG, so maybe there's still a tiny bit of hope...
Size DOES matter!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:13 pm Did my own redesign of Zetton, and for the first time made a super articulated figure with swivel hinge joints. He's got 19-20 points depending on how you count it:

Also trying to crank out one more figure before I move, this one I think some of ya'll will really like:
Impressive work with Zetton's articulation! I'm guessing the figures you make are all 3D printed?
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Wow that’s cool! I’d love to know more about how you made the joints. Did you design them yourself or copy them from something else?

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

GigaBowserG wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:58 am
DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:13 pm Did my own redesign of Zetton, and for the first time made a super articulated figure with swivel hinge joints. He's got 19-20 points depending on how you count it:

Also trying to crank out one more figure before I move, this one I think some of ya'll will really like:
Impressive work with Zetton's articulation! I'm guessing the figures you make are all 3D printed?
Thanks! Completely designed in Blender and 3D printed.

Added in 1 minute 19 seconds:
canofhumdingers wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:12 am Wow that’s cool! I’d love to know more about how you made the joints. Did you design them yourself or copy them from something else?
Joints were completely done from scratch by mashing spheres and cylinders together in weird ways. I never download things from other sites to use in my models.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

That’s neat! Did you have any fitting issues putting the joints together? How well do they work? I’m just fascinated by the idea of designing and printing your own articulated figures!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Not sure if this was intentional but I like how Mephilas-y the eyes look.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

canofhumdingers wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:34 pm That’s neat! Did you have any fitting issues putting the joints together? How well do they work? I’m just fascinated by the idea of designing and printing your own articulated figures!
The whole joint system is a swivel/hinge system, with the wrists and ankles mimicking revoltech joints but without the clicking.

It was easier to put together than I though it would be. The trick is to have some flat pliers for the pin joints, and just squeeze them together. Most of them have held their tolerance and work pretty well as a PLA prototype (never sell them as toys in this plastic, it simply isn't strong enough for longevity). I really want him printed in resin at some point, and a buddy of mine who runs a toy shop is gonna paint one up for me with the classic Zetton colors. The wrists were hard to fit because the pins on the revoltech shaped joints kept twisting off, so I had to file down the pegs a lot. The hip joints I'm still working on, since the pins are too small and there isn't enough tolerance, so they get loose pretty fast. Problem is I can't make them much bigger since the pelvis area is so tiny. I've been experimenting with ball joints as substitutes, but with PLA they either won't snap in, or if they do snap in they wear down almost instantly.

It also depends how you print the parts, with most needing to be horizontal so that the swivel joints rings don't snap when you put it together, because of how the print is layered. It's difficult to explain over writing, but I hope I'm making enough sense.

I don't have the space for a resin printer, which would solve most issues, and it's also why even after two years I haven't been able to take commissions where I can ship figures to people. There are a few people on this site I had to turn down because I can't ship figures that will last, since PLA isn't really the best to paint and it's just overall very brittle.

Godzillaninja2019
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzillaninja2019 »

Any advice for working with blender or anything similar to to make a 3d articulation figure. Out of curiosity

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Godzillaninja2019 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:48 pm Any advice for working with blender or anything similar to to make a 3d articulation figure. Out of curiosity
Look up some sculpting tutorials and basic interface tutorials if you're brand new and memorize short cut keys, it will make your life so much easier. For joints play around with cylinders. It's a huge trial and error process but you'll get it if you just keep practicing. I want to be a toy designer for my career, so I try to do this stuff as much as I can.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:30 pm
Godzillaninja2019 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:48 pm Any advice for working with blender or anything similar to to make a 3d articulation figure. Out of curiosity
Look up some sculpting tutorials and basic interface tutorials if you're brand new and memorize short cut keys, it will make your life so much easier. For joints play around with cylinders. It's a huge trial and error process but you'll get it if you just keep practicing. I want to be a toy designer for my career, so I try to do this stuff as much as I can.
Do you have any special computer peripherals or is a mouse sufficient?
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Fermix wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:59 am
DirektorSplennic wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:30 pm
Do you have any special computer peripherals or is a mouse sufficient?
For Blender, a mouse works well enough, though after almost three years of doing this ive probably developed carpal tunnel (partially a joke). When I switch over to Zbrush at some point I'm getting myself a tablet. Blender also can support a tablet, but I have no idea how to set it up.

Godzillaninja2019
GPN Volunteer

dumb quistion have you ever heard of Monster Mash (Monster Mash is a new sketch-based modeling and animation tool that allows you to quickly sketch a character, inflate it into 3D, and promptly animate it. You can perform all interactions in the sketching plane. No 3D manipulation is required.)

ultrase7en
Samurai

Post by ultrase7en »

Are there any 3D modelers out there that has already created (or might be able to create) a Toho Frankenstein? I'd love to have a 3 3/4 inch action figure style or slightly larger fig/model.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

It’s still a work in progress, but I was very pleased with the results so far and wanted to share. A few years ago I bought a really cheap, beat up Bandai Mothra larva to go with my x-plus GTTHM display. I always planned to repaint it but only got started on it this week. I tried a new (for me) technique I’ve been dying to try with my airbrush: pre-shading. I’m amazed at how well it worked and how easy it was. I hope to finish her up next week when I have some more free time.

Washed and ready

Primed

Painted white and preshaded

A dry brush of yellow pre shade

A coat of gloss brown

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Made some more progress today. Put a base coat of flat black on the mouth, touched up the brown, and added some clear red and clear yellow sprays to add some variation. Hope to work on it a bit more tomorrow. All I’ve got left is to add some gloss dark brown to the mouth, add a pin wash to darken the crevices, clear coat it all and paint the eyes. Should be able to finish it by sometime next week.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Finished up Mothra today. Very pleased with how she came out!

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

This is my first custom job! I procured a questionably-sourced Shogun ReAction from China and decided to give it a Midnight Blue paint job (the lighting in these photos makes it look a lot brighter than it actually is). The figure came with an unpainted head but the 1200C body.

Really happy to have a more traditional coloured Godzilla in this scale. I have another one of these figures from China and am trying to figure out what to do with it. I kinda wanna give it a funky colourway!

I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

I would really like if someone made a custom MechaniKong figure that would complement Mezco and Neca's Kong figures.

Maybe the Gorilla Detector from Palisades' Muppet Labs Playset could be used as a base for MechaniKong's head?
Friends don't lie.

Godzillaninja2019
GPN Volunteer

I am kinda thinking of making a custom made figure of godzilla-1 or something similar to that design any advice what can be used for the based

G.H.B
Interpol Agent

Post by G.H.B »

Hey so I had an idea for making a custom articulated Kong figure that would scale well with the SHMA Godzilla 1964. Seeing how Jungle Lord is completely out of the picture, does anyone have any suggestions on what base figure I could use for this?