What Toy Did You Just Buy?

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Re: What Toy Did You Just Buy?

Post by Platypus Prime »

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:29 pm Nice display! Are those all 3D prints you did or did you order them somewhere?

I liked the previous SCV Ghidorah, but I don't think it works on that design as well. But he definitely is a commanding presence on the shelf!
The buildings are a mix of old model kit recycling, and Eyepop Designs on ebay. I found out about them here, and now I have a whole setup. They take some time to ship, but do great work! They use multiple scales so always check the scale of the buildings (they always have a measurement in their pictures) to make sure it works for you!

https://www.ebay.com/usr/eyepopdesigns? ... 3561.l2559

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Shit almost forgot the Pero2 Nendoroid is dropping before the end of the month. Hopefully he can wait till I get paid next week.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

That little doggy is mine now! :mrgreen:
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Recently got Mondo's 12 inch Pulgasari from a local toy shop. We got in a bunch of vinyl pieces and after seeing the iron bull in person I needed it. It is GORGEOUS.
The face is the best part. He looks furious. Everything is top notch on this guy.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:56 pm Shit almost forgot the Pero2 Nendoroid is dropping before the end of the month. Hopefully he can wait till I get paid next week.
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:57 am That little doggy is mine now! :mrgreen:
How'd that one turn out? I've been looking forward to the Nendoroids (still waiting on Mei to be released), haven't seen much yet.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Hasn't arrived yet but should be here in a couple days.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Executive Hamster wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:33 pm This figure is way better than I thought. For some reason I was under the impression that the sculpt for it was really poor and way worse than the MMS version. And yeah, the MMS version IS better sculpted, but not by much. Its still a super strong sculpt and I MUCH PREFER the tentacles here, as well as the much better paint colors. I love that sorta olive-peridot green color that occasionally pops up on old Bandai figures- the large scale 95 Gamera also comes to mind- and this is definitely going on the favorite figures list.

Sweet. I've put off getting one of these over and over and should probably just pull the expensive trigger since I love Biollante and that era of Bandai.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Not a huge chibi buyer, but I can't resist the more obscure kaiju in any form.

Chibi Megaguirus, Armor Mothra and Dagarha.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Nice. Love the bright colors on those.
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Oh hell yeah. One of the highlights of that show, and Nendos are pretty pristine.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Kind of just went nuts...

SHMA Jet Jaguar SP - Pre-order finally came in.

Sega Godzilla & Kong 2021

SHFA Ultraman Trigger Dark

SDCC Godzilla Reaction Glow in the Dark trio

Marusan black and red Hedorah

SDCC Mondo Cherry Blossom Glow in the Dark Jet Jaguar

And 7 special color Ultra 500 releases:
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

While I was a little lukewarm about the JJ pin I got, I'm 100% on board with my first dip into xplus with the JJ Deforeal

If this line was made for any character, its 100% JJ, just works so darn well. Probably my only xplus for a while, but I do really like it.
He Jock it Made of Steel

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Just placed what I believe is my first order from Mandarake. I’ve known about the store for a long time but I don’t believe I’ve ever actually placed an order. I didn’t think I’d ever bought from them at all but then I remembered I actually went to their store in the Nakano Broadway Mall the one time I got to go to Japan over a decade ago (man I wish I could go back!).

Anyway, I’ll be curious to see the condition of the items. I bought several Bandai figures that are all mint with tags but the condition on the site says “damaged tag”. Will be interesting to see what they consider damaged (they’re all new figures produced within the last year or two). I also grabbed a really cheap copy of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah Completion. That one says a condition of C+ but even if it’s kinda beat up it was only $15…

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

In my experience, "damaged" for Mandarake is generally good condition anywhere else, unless the damage is super specific (as in, cracks or broken parts, yellowing plastic/vinyl, cigarette smoke, etc). I've always found them to be super reliable with pretty good deals, although their stock of vintage/"stylized" stuff has been starting to dry up and increase in price a little.

And Nakano Broadway is the bomb. There were a few Mandarake-run shops in there, but I recall several family businesses with great items hidden throughout as well. I checked so many things off my want list when I lived near there.
Last edited by Creature22 on Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Just paid for the Hedorah 3-pack via BBTS, it/they are on their way!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Creature22 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:06 am In my experience, "damaged" for Mandarake is generally good condition anywhere else, unless the damage is super specific (as in, cracks or broken parts, yellowing plastic/vinyl, cigarette smoke, etc). I've always found them to be super reliable with pretty good deals, although their stock of vintage/"stylized" stuff has been starting to dry up and increase in price a little.
That’s what I was inclined to believe about their descriptions. I am interested to see what kind of condition they consider “C+” for a book. But I’ll know soon enough!
Creature22 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:06 am And Nakano Broadway is the bomb. There were a few Mandarake-run shops in there, but I recall several family businesses with great items hidden throughout as well. I checked so many things off my want list when I lived near there.
Dude that’s awesome you got to live there. I can’t imagine how much debt I’d be in if I had regular access to that mall! Yeah the whole place was incredible. I’ll never forget walking into this tiny little dvd shop. It was around the time Toho had just recently begun releasing Blu rays of their catalogue. I was excited to grab the new Blu Ray of Gojira (‘54). The merchant was this old man sitting there watching the brand new Rodan disc on his little tv while he manned the shop. When he spoke to me I couldn’t understand his words, but it was obvious he was complaining about the (poor) quality of the transfer and the wire removal!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Mandarake shipment arrived! Caught up on a few of the MMS releases. Everything was packed superbly. I’m laughing about their damage descriptions. “Damaged tags” means factory fresh with an easily removable Mandarake price sticker. The “heavily damaged box” of the candy toy meant it had been meticulously opened and the box preserved so well you wouldn’t even know it was opened at first glance. The book, at “C+”, is in absolute mint condition. Like, it’s in better shape than the GvBiollante completion I bought new in person at a Kinokuniya for 4 times the price! The only issues really are there’s a minor paint rub on the tip of Gigan’s tail and the candy toy is really sticky because it was still sealed in its bag after however many years (nothing that some soapy water won’t fix). But both problems are par for the course and not anything specifically Mandarake’s fault. Heck, the vinyl figures were each individually bagged, then wrapped carefully in a pile of bubble wrap, then packed in even more bubble wrap.

All that’s to say, very happy with Mandarake! They’re definitely on my shortlist of places to shop Godzilla now.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Ordered my Mei Nendoroid. She's just too adorable to pass up.

Gojirasaur
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojirasaur »

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:31 am Mandarake shipment arrived! Caught up on a few of the MMS releases. Everything was packed superbly. I’m laughing about their damage descriptions. “Damaged tags” means factory fresh with an easily removable Mandarake price sticker. The “heavily damaged box” of the candy toy meant it had been meticulously opened and the box preserved so well you wouldn’t even know it was opened at first glance. The book, at “C+”, is in absolute mint condition. Like, it’s in better shape than the GvBiollante completion I bought new in person at a Kinokuniya for 4 times the price! The only issues really are there’s a minor paint rub on the tip of Gigan’s tail and the candy toy is really sticky because it was still sealed in its bag after however many years (nothing that some soapy water won’t fix). But both problems are par for the course and not anything specifically Mandarake’s fault. Heck, the vinyl figures were each individually bagged, then wrapped carefully in a pile of bubble wrap, then packed in even more bubble wrap.

All that’s to say, very happy with Mandarake! They’re definitely on my shortlist of places to shop Godzilla now.
I've had two Mandarake experiences, and I don't know if I should form an opinion based on those alone, but they were just like yours. The grading was laughably conservative. If there's anything that had scared me from ordering from them the last few years, it was that the grading was accurate. Right now, I am considering revising my view of their common "may crack" additions to old Macross toys from Yamato. I know such things can happen, but it's not rampant, and I'm starting to think all I've passed over were virtually immaculate.

Returns from the USA are cost-prohibitive, so that's still a consideration, but yeah, they have been panning out so far.