Super7 Godzilla Line

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Fermix
EDF Instructor

Re: Super7 Godzilla Line

Post by Fermix »

Jomei wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:42 am
InfiniteHollywood wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:29 am
Jomei wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:37 pm
That said, I think these small recent ones are moderately cool. The glow ones seem worth having. Shame the '57, despite being a super exciting idea, isn't more differentiated sculpt-wise from the '54.
Honestly the 57 is quite unique from the 54. The only pieces they share are the body and tail.
Technically true but visually they don't differ nearly enough IMO. Big missed opportunity on the '57.
I was thinking the same thing. I think the bodies might actually be unique molds just looking at the digital renders, but they are so close to being the same that it effectively doesn't matter.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

Fermix wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:00 am
InfiniteHollywood wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:53 pmShowa has a lot of repeat monsters in films, especially chronological. That makes it hard to theme a 2 figure wave IMO. Likewise I don’t believe they will do every version of Godzilla from Showa, just like they’re not going to do every Godzilla from Heisei.

The monsters rarely changed much in Showa films. Sometimes they did. But that’s irrelevant to the Godzilla suits which pretty much changed every film. I suspect they will do more “catch all” versions of the Showa Godzillas when they get to them. But with the other monsters, one is as good as any.
I've thrown together a list of what I imagine the waves could look like based on what we've seen so far. I've done my best to try and put monsters together in a thematic sense (e.g., Rodan '56 and Varan '58 together since they both had a standalone movie, Gorosaurus and Baragon '65 together since they both fought humanoid monsters, etc.) Spoiler tagging for those who don't care
Spoiler:
Heisei
Fire Rodan and Destoroyah*
Spacegodzilla and Moguera
Mothra (Imago) and Battra (Imago)
Godzilla Junior and King Ghidorah*
Battra (Larva) + Mothra (Larva) and Star Falcon + Land Moguera w/ crystal effects
Mecha-King Ghidorah* and Accessory Pack
Biollante (Beast Form)*

Millenium
Godzilla (99) and Orga
Mothra (01) + Baragon and Megaguirus
Godzilla (01) and King Ghidorah*
Godzilla (02-03) and Kiryu*

Showa
Mechagodzilla (74-75) and King Caesar
Godzilla (73-75) and Titanosaurus
Jet Jaguar and Megalon
Anguirus and Gigan
Minilla + Mothra Larva and King Ghidorah*
Rodan (56) and Varan (58)
Gorosaurus and Baragon (1965)
Godzilla (64-66) and Mothra
Gabara and Kamacuras
Manda (68) and Kumonga
Godzilla (68-72) and Hedorah

*denotes a wave with at least one deluxe figure
Love the list! Especially that showa portion. Just sucks knowing the actual release won't be anywhere as good.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

Jomei wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:42 am
InfiniteHollywood wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:29 am
Jomei wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:37 pm
That said, I think these small recent ones are moderately cool. The glow ones seem worth having. Shame the '57, despite being a super exciting idea, isn't more differentiated sculpt-wise from the '54.
Honestly the 57 is quite unique from the 54. The only pieces they share are the body and tail.
Technically true but visually they don't differ nearly enough IMO. Big missed opportunity on the '57.
This is true. But the reality is there just isn’t that big of difference in those suits. And the figure does reflect some major changes. I mean the head looks almost nothing like the 54 head. I just think the ReAction format doesn’t really give you enough room to really define the features to be so different that they’re instantly and drastically different to the eye.

When you look at them up close they’re quite different. But in a shelf they almost look the same. But again, I think that’s more about the format than the execution.

Not the Mezco will ever make one but I suspect if they did they would be able to bring out the differences a bit more given their hype detailed sculpts.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I feel like Super7 should have been smarter than putting the 54 and 57 Godzillas in the same wave. There are differences but they look incredibly similar. I wonder how well the 1957 figure has actually sold. If I was a casual fan picking up a few of these things and I had no idea of the significance of the 57 suit I probably wouldn't buy it.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:38 pm I feel like Super7 should have been smarter than putting the 54 and 57 Godzillas in the same wave. There are differences but they look incredibly similar. I wonder how well the 1957 figure has actually sold. If I was a casual fan picking up a few of these things and I had no idea of the significance of the 57 suit I probably wouldn't buy it.
Does a casual know the importance only 54 and know to get that one over 57?
Last edited by miguelnuva on Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:13 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:38 pm I feel like Super7 should have been smarter than putting the 54 and 57 Godzillas in the same wave. There are differences but they look incredibly similar. I wonder how well the 1957 figure has actually sold. If I was a casual fan picking up a few of these things and I had no idea of the significance of the 57 suit I probably wouldn't buy it.
Does a casual knkw the importance only 54 and know to get that one over 57?
Lol OK I'll simplify it.

Would a casual fan pick up both or just either of them since they're so similar?

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

'57 probably will go over casual fans heads, but 1/6 figures being geared towards more dedicated collectors seems like an okay ratio to me
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Well, I lucked out and found most of these (sans Jet Jaguar) at my local FYE. Picked up Godzilla '57 and Rodan, and they're both pretty fun. A bit pricey (even at $14.99), and Godzilla's neck is a little fat for such a skinny suit, but they're fun little desk toys. I'll probably pick up the rest some other time. I hope we can get at least one more wave that can include the likes of Anguirus, Gigan and, assuming size won't be an issue, King Ghidorah.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:32 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:13 pm
Does a casual knkw the importance only 54 and know to get that one over 57?
Lol OK I'll simplify it.

Would a casual fan pick up both or just either of them since they're so similar?
I agree with them only getting one of them because they look similar, I'm just saying I don't know if 54 would hurt 57 or vice versa. I think its more a first come first serve. Maybe them being out at the same time is helping with casuals as they make sure they get at least one Goji? Interesting point you bring up about the two so similar at the same time.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Just saying it would suck if releasing two similar Godzillas in the very first wave would scare Super7 away from doing obscure deep dives if they don't think it will sell.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:58 pm Just saying it would suck if releasing two similar Godzillas in the very first wave would scare Super7 away from doing obscure deep dives if they don't think it will sell.
I wouldn't worry about one figure striking out. Super7 is a company built on figures with niche audiences and it seems to be working out very well for them.
Last edited by Fermix on Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

If their audiences are niche super-fans, they should do more to differentiate the niche variations.

Yes, the differences among Showa suits can be subtle, but if you're putting out a '57 at all, that means you're targeting the maniacs like us who know what that is and what it looks like. So... make it look like that? :pelops2:

:rimshot: <- me contuining to beat this drum
Last edited by Jomei on Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Jomei wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:39 am If their audiences are niche super-fans, they should do more to differentiate the niche variations.

Yes, the differences among Showa suits can be subtle, but if you're putting out a '57 at all, that means you're targeting the maniacs like us who know what that is and what it looks like. So... make it look like that? :pelops2:

I haven't seen a lot of reference material for the '57 suit, is it dramatically different from the '54 suit IRL?

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Fermix wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:48 am
Jomei wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:39 am If their audiences are niche super-fans, they should do more to differentiate the niche variations.

I haven't seen a lot of reference material for the '57 suit, is it dramatically different from the '54 suit IRL?
It's essentially a continuation of the 55 suit, with some removed features that pave the way for the 62 suit. It is literally a missing link.

(Image won't post on mobile for whatever reason)

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Fermix wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:48 am

To be clear, I said subtly different, in the way most Showa suits are from each other, not dramatically in the way G2k is from BioGoji.

Other toys have been able to differentiate it better.

To be fair, this style of toy is not much for details, and maybe it looks more distinct in person. I'm giving an impression based on what I've seen, but I do think they could have done a little more.
Last edited by Jomei on Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

Jomei wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:36 pm
Can anyone give me some backstory for why Godzilla is trying to smooch the Phantom of the Opera's neck?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

DrBreakfastMachine wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:19 pm
Can anyone give me some backstory for why Godzilla is trying to smooch the Phantom of the Opera's neck?
I wish there was some, but unfortunately nobody's been able to come up with a solid explanation for it.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Best of my knowledge. If someone knows more, I'd be happy to hear it.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Funny enough, Outrun Collectibles is the only Canadian store I know of stocking the ReAction figures and they just sold out of G57. Based on this extremely damning sample size of 1, it seems to be doing alright with audiences

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

Jomei wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:40 pm
Best of my knowledge. If someone knows more, I'd be happy to hear it.
Thanks. Fascinating stuff even if details are scarce.
Last edited by DrBreakfastMachine on Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.