General Gashapon/Small Figurine Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
UltramanGoji

Re: POST YOUR GASHAPONS !!!

Post by UltramanGoji »

I don't collect gashapon much anymore but I'd love to own a miniature replica of Godzilla's skeleton. Where does one usually get these?

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I finally got started on the little vehicles sets. I decided the rocket launcher truck looked easiest to paint so I started with it. Got the primer and base olive drab coats done so far. If I have time tomorrow I hope to paint most of the details. Then I’ll do just a little weathering/panel line detailing.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:28 pm I finally got started on the little vehicles sets. I decided the rocket launcher truck looked easiest to paint so I started with it. Got the primer and base olive drab coats done so far. If I have time tomorrow I hope to paint most of the details. Then I’ll do just a little weathering/panel line detailing.

Wow, those look a hell of a lot better. Just a little change like that in color, made them look way less cheap and more in-line with the quality of some of the other Gashapons.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:28 pm I finally got started on the little vehicles sets. I decided the rocket launcher truck looked easiest to paint so I started with it. Got the primer and base olive drab coats done so far. If I have time tomorrow I hope to paint most of the details. Then I’ll do just a little weathering/panel line detailing.

What's the grid size on that mat you're working on? Are those 1/2" squares?

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Thanks, yeah I almost always find a painted surface looks better than straight plastic.

As for size, I don’t remember off the top of my head, but yes probably 1/2 inch. The trucks are quite small. About the size of an old micro machine or N scale model railroad vehicles. Unfortunately I got called in to work today and don’t know when I’ll have time next to work on them (or measure them).

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Glad I checked this thread, otherwise I would have never known about that Toho Super Weapons set. I just bought one mainly for the Super X's, and even though I can see they will not scale too well with my SHMA's, I just haven't been able to justify buying the first SHMA Ultimate Weapons set at the price it usually goes for. I'd basically be paying around $200 just for the Super X2 piece it has, and I can't bring myself to do it. This will do in the meantime
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

I just realizd that the GashaPon Godzilla Skeleton EX Set (the new one with the glow-in-the-dark Godzilla Skeleton) is already out in Japan since about one month... :shock:
Size DOES matter!

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

Where are finding your gashapons at? I've had some issues tracking those down.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

How do the Super7 reaction figures scale with these?
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

I knew going into buying the set that these vehicles would not be very big, but the scaling against 6 inch figures actually isn't all that bad. For the most part, they fit right at home alongside the SHMA maser tanks. The biggest scaling deficiency is with the Super X's, mainly the SX2, but I can't complain at all because these figures aren't meant to line up with standard size figures. Overall, I got what I was looking for, and I honestly may grab a couple more of these sets just for the ground vehicles. The missile launcher truck in particular scales the best with the larger figures/supplementary SHMA vehicles.

Pictures!
Spoiler:
Directly next to Y-MSF Rodan
Resized Image

However, with a bit of perspective, the above can be turned into this
Resized Image

Compared to SHMA masers
Resized Image

Super X family (SX3 is from SHMA)
Resized Image
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

^yeah, as I posted on the last page, the super X’s scale more accurately with 4 inch figures but the ground vehicles scale better with 6 inch figures (particularly 6 inch Showa or 50m monsters).

The rocket launcher is tough to pin down. It might actually scale best with 25 or 30cm x plus Showa kaiju…. It certainly looks of similar size to N-scale model railroad vehicles, which just so happen to scale exactly with 30cm tall figures of 50m monsters.

In related discussion; I made a little more progress on painting the rocket launchers. Got all the tires painted and even tried my hand at painting the holes in the launch tubes. That was quite a challenge as they are basically pin prick sized dots! My pointer finger for scale…

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

I finally managed to finish the rocket launcher trucks. They were quite the challenge to paint given the tiny size. They are about 1 inch long and 1/2 inch wide. I probably put more effort in than their size warrants (I may skip the panel line wash on the mazer tanks) and I had some issues with the flat clearcoat, but overall I’m quite happy with how they turned out.

With 25cm x plus figures

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Took some pics with better natural light.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

These have been trending on social media lately, so here's my full set. Love these.

XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Acevolts
Ronin

Post by Acevolts »

Hello!

I'm new here and was hoping to build a Godzilla collection with as many characters as possible in a (relatively) consistent scale. After doing some research, Gashapons looked like a relatively cheap and fun way to do it. I saw the "Godzilla Final Wars Pack of Destruction Gashapon Figure Set" on Amazon and figured that would be a good place to start.

Does that set scale decently with later and earlier Gashapon figures? I figure Biollante and Destoroyah probably don't, but the rest? I plan on making my collection would be a blend of old and new, with some of the recent high grades and some of the older ones. I'd love to see some comparison pictures too if anyone is willing to help get me started.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Acevolts wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:20 am Hello!

I'm new here and was hoping to build a Godzilla collection with as many characters as possible in a (relatively) consistent scale. After doing some research, Gashapons looked like a relatively cheap and fun way to do it. I saw the "Godzilla Final Wars Pack of Destruction Gashapon Figure Set" on Amazon and figured that would be a good place to start.

Does that set scale decently with later and earlier Gashapon figures? I figure Biollante and Destoroyah probably don't, but the rest? I plan on making my collection would be a blend of old and new, with some of the recent high grades and some of the older ones. I'd love to see some comparison pictures too if anyone is willing to help get me started.
If you're referring to this set:

https://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Final-D ... e904010ad0

...you're better off looking elsewhere. It's insanely overpriced on Amazon.

But as for the actual content, I don't own it but it's probably not in the same scale as what's commonly called the "High Grade" series. If you're looking for figures to match up with that scale, you might want to look for something else. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on it can help you out more.

Acevolts
Ronin

Post by Acevolts »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:32 am

If you're referring to this set:

...you're better off looking elsewhere. It's insanely overpriced on Amazon.

But as for the actual content, I don't own it but it's probably not in the same scale as what's commonly called the "High Grade" series. If you're looking for figures to match up with that scale, you might want to look for something else. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on it can help you out more.

Thank you, that is the set I'm referring to. I would have posted a link to it but I'm not sure how to do it in a way that this forum allows. I would be very interested in the scale difference between figures from that set and regular high grades.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Those figures are smaller than the High Grade sets.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

The figures from that set are pretty small, noticeably smaller than Gashapons unfortunately. If nothing else, most of the characters from that set already have Gashapons, with the only exceptions being the 2004 versions of King Caesar, Anguirus, and Minilla. Here's a quick comparison between a couple pairings:

If you want any other comparison pics with specific characters, feel free to ask; I have most of the Gashapons. The Gashapon line is a great lineup though; I think between that line and the Iwakura line, you can collect a good majority of the Godzilla characters at a roughly 3" scale.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Acevolts wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:20 amI'm new here and was hoping to build a Godzilla collection with as many characters as possible in a (relatively) consistent scale.
Have you considered Super7's new ReAction line? They are recent, retro-stylized figures that are a lot of fun to collect and are fairly accessible.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!