Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by darthzilla99 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:02 pm Image

Good...
God...
What's the big deal? It's just mid transformation for these toys, no different than a half transformed transformer toy.

I don't see why everyone is making a big deal out of these. You don't have to buy these and these are targeted to kids. Plus these have transformer custom potential.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

darthzilla99 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:22 amI don't see why everyone is making a big deal out of these. You don't have to buy these and these are targeted to kids. Plus these have transformer custom potential.
I feel like we are witnessing the phenomenon that Brian Flynn mentions when he talks about the variety of lines that Super7 creates. He mentions that when he makes merchandise that seems obscure (Godzilla glassware or T-shirts, as an example), you'll see a sizeable group of people come out swinging saying stuff to the effect of "why would you make this instead of the thing that I care about?". Too many people are looking at these transforming kaiju toys as though they are the target audience. I WISH I had these as a kid. I think they're awesome even though they don't have a place in my collection, and that's okay!

If it came down to getting either another batch of scene-specific repaints or these, I would pick these 1000%. They are wacky, they are introducing new ways to have fun with these characters, and I hope that a lot of kids love them as much as I would have loved them decades ago.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

ElijahSky
Monarch Researcher

Post by ElijahSky »

Years down the road these will probably end up novelty items for the collecting community. Though I do find the Kong with sunglasses and a headset charmingly stupid, I'm definitely going to pass on these. Not really my kind of thing. I'm waiting for new monsters to be added to the classic and MonsterVerse lines.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I like these figures. Would have been fun to play with as a kid. It’s not just about us guys! Lol

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

I really like that Kong face sculpt. Wish some of their regular figures had it. And no, I don't mean Johnny Cool Shades, just the regular one.

Kong seems better than Godzilla. Legendary's clunky chunk Godzilla design and the clunky weapon additions just don't spruce it up enough. But I dig the translucent dorsals.

Gojira95
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojira95 »

New King Ghidorah

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Anyone else having a hard time finding these anywhere?

WarpedBandicoot99
Samurai

Post by WarpedBandicoot99 »

At the moment yes, but it's understandable because seeing as how I'm in the UK I won't see these until sometime in July.

There are only three stores in total in my town that sell GVK stuff, one is still on wave 1/2 which could be because they're an independently owned place.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Picked up the atomic blast Godzilla for a song on Amazon. Nice figure all told.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Wow, that Ghidorah actually looks pretty awesome, as far as the sculpt goes. Don’t love the classic Jurassic park toy style battle damage, but with a little customization and paint that could be a great figure.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I don't understand why they did the battle damage like that. Wouldn't a decapitateable head be better?

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:48 pm I don't understand why they did the battle damage like that. Wouldn't a decapitateable head be better?
It's a nostalgia nod to the old Jurassic Park figures. Why? Who knows. But kids seemed to like that "play feature" back then, and it probably scratches a few collector's itch for some nostalgia even if it's a different property.

Likewise, with all the Godzilla stuff out there, maybe Playmates is literally doing it the way Kenner originally did which was to sort of make sure that their stuff was distinctive.

I will say I like that the Playmates stuff is easily attached and stays in well.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Oh yes, it will be mine. Who am I kidding? Probably two or three will be mine.

Last edited by G1985 on Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Hmm. Tough choice. Get this and customize it or wait to see what Hiya Toys comes up with…

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

canofhumdingers wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:37 pm Hmm. Tough choice. Get this and customize it or wait to see what Hiya Toys comes up with…
I'm probably gonna get both, but only if I see this guy in the wild. I can't pass that up for $9.99.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

One thing to be aware of, some paints don't like the rubbery plastic. I'm not sure why, but one attempt I made at painting a Playmates figure had the paint literally flake off like it was shedding its skin, even though the paint in question was FOR plastic. Another time I had the entire surface go sticky and gross and it never got better, even after multiple coats of sealant. You may want to test whatever you use on a place that won't show if it goes wrong, like the underside of a foot or something.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Yes, the type of paint used and the material it’s going on both matter. It’s also very helpful to prime things before painting. Using anything solvent based will likely do great harm to soft plastics and rubber.

Water based acrylics are usually the safest choice for the base coat in that case. Once it’s sealed up with a quality primer and base coat of less threatening paint, you can *usually* use anything you want over the top, but not always.

In short, make sure you research what types of paint are recommended for the material you’re painting. And agreed, it’s a great idea to test an inconspicuous area if you’re unsure.

Oh, and if using techniques like filters or washes, it’s often helpful to put on a gloss coat first and then use a different type of paint for the wash (such as acrylic gloss coat and then an oil or enamel paint wash). That way the paints and their solvents don’t react with each other. Then you can put a flat clear coat to seal it if you don’t want the glossy look.
Last edited by canofhumdingers on Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:33 pm
canofhumdingers wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:37 pm Hmm. Tough choice. Get this and customize it or wait to see what Hiya Toys comes up with…
I'm probably gonna get both, but only if I see this guy in the wild. I can't pass that up for $9.99.
I will definitely be picking up the Playmates KG at that price. While I'd like the Hiya Toys version, given a $50+ price it will depend on whether they nail both the proportions and the scaling.

But if someone really wants my money, all it will take is a pair of MUTOs. Deliver on those, and the completist in me will get pulled into buying the rest of the line.
Last edited by G1985 on Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

God I would have loved those Titan Tech figures as a kid.

I gotta give Playmates credit for being unpredictable. I never thought they'd do lesser-known showa critters like Gorosaurus, dip in GSP designs, or do this wild Trendmasters shit, yet here we are.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Godzilla Ultima coming from Playmates!

Picture on Ultrazillas Facebook page