Super7 Godzilla Line

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Havoks
Interpol Agent

Re: Super7 Godzilla Line

Post by Havoks »

I will say, by looking at the photo given, and really look at the sculpt, it does seem to be a retooled or recolored Bio-Goji.
:terrestris:

JetJaguarPaunch
Samurai

Post by JetJaguarPaunch »

Havoks wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:32 pm I will say, by looking at the photo given, and really look at the sculpt, it does seem to be a retooled or recolored Bio-Goji.
Definitely. The hips might be a bit wider? Not the worst thing in the world if that's what it ends up being, but odd considering the differences.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

I can understand from the business perspective that the differences between the suits aren't enough to warrant getting brand new molds made. I just really think that the figure should come with a decent number of accessories to make up for it.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Wait, they're just retooling the 1989 figure into Burning Godzilla? Even Bandai at their cheapest wouldn't do that.

That's hilarious in such a tragic way.

Man, if this is what they're doing so quickly out of the gate my expectations for whatever they do when get to the Showa era have dropped significantly.

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

I mean, Bandai at they’re cheapest issued out baldly sculpted and painted figures. I’d rather take retooling over that lol.
:terrestris:

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Havoks wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:46 am I mean, Bandai at they’re cheapest issued out baldly sculpted and painted figures. I’d rather take retooling over that lol.
Yeah you kind of misunderstood my point. Even if they wanted to be cheap, Bandai wouldn't take a 1989 Godzilla figure and turn it into Burning Godzilla. Maybe a slightly later Heise Godzilla, but not 1989.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:13 am Wait, they're just retooling the 1989 figure into Burning Godzilla?
From what we can see, the torso looks the same as G89. It's very hard to tell, but the head seems to be positioned differently than the G89 render, so I'm not sure if it is a different sculpt. Probably not if I were to guess.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:13 am Wait, they're just retooling the 1989 figure into Burning Godzilla? Even Bandai at their cheapest wouldn't do that.

That's hilarious in such a tragic way.

Man, if this is what they're doing so quickly out of the gate my expectations for whatever they do when get to the Showa era have dropped significantly.
People are making assumptions based on a teaser pic.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I'm not judging anything till I see a model. It's not a criticism of anyone, it's just a reality of the industry that the best plans and prototypes may not work entirely according to plan. Look at what happened with the Simpsons, Krusty lost his cigarettes and that had a NUMBER of reasons from licensing issues to the convolutions of Federal No Smoking Advertising laws (there is actually a section prohibiting cartoon characters, Transformers ran into a similar situation years ago when they showed a character, Kup, with a cigar as a homage to the A-Team and a lot of trouble followed). There's also the question of teaser vs. physical, like the Aurora model kit being ported to a recolored Shogun. I was very impressed by Rose Biollante, and I look forwards to seeing ReAction Jet Jaguar and Burning Godzilla. But I'll see what actually happens, then I'll plan from there.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:34 pmPeople are making assumptions based on a teaser pic.
Yeah, too early. I assumed they dropped official prototype photos only to realize it is a promo pic made to resemble the monitor of Godzilla's increasing temperature. For all we know it could have been weeks of planning or whipped up in one hour. I'd wait until we see the full prototype.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:13 am Wait, they're just retooling the 1989 figure into Burning Godzilla? Even Bandai at their cheapest wouldn't do that.
Bandai, at their cheapest, rereleased the exact same figure, no retooling whatsoever, as the 92, 93, and 94 suit, so IDK what you are talking about here.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:18 pm
Bandai, at their cheapest, rereleased the exact same figure, no retooling whatsoever, as the 92, 93, and 94 suit, so IDK what you are talking about here.
Because the 92-95 suits have minor differences that even g-fans sometimes have a hard time telling the differences.

Heisei had the 84 look, the 89-91 look and then the 92-94 look that he could be generalized as.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I disagree. Those suits looked pretty distinct from each other, especially the 94.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:14 pm I disagree. Those suits looked pretty distinct from each other, especially the 94.
The changes from 92-94 are minor unless you really look at them side by side and study the suits where as the 89 or 91 you can tell are different from the 94.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Oh give me a break. Anyone could tell the difference between the 1989 and Burning Godzilla. The 92, 93 and 94 suits have their differences but they're not night and day the way those other other two suits are.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Yeah, kind of agree here. Saying all the Heisei Godzilla designs look very similar is like saying "haha, it doesn't say what you think it says, I'm saying any race and not what you thought look the same".

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:05 pm Yeah, kind of agree here. Saying all the Heisei Godzilla designs look very similar is like saying "haha, it doesn't say what you think it says, I'm saying any race and not what you thought look the same".
No said they all look the same.

I said Heisei Godzilla basically has his

84 look
89-91 look
92-95 look as Burning Godzilla is just the 94 suit with glowing patches.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

I think the point we can all agree on is that G89 is an unusual choice to repaint into BurningG (the first time its been done, maybe?) It's also just a teaser image for the figure, which may have extensive retooling from the waist down or might be a different mold altogether.

Honestly I'm more excited for the Destoroyah figure and can't wait to see what it looks like.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

REGARDLESS, studying the image closer, I find that the Super7 burning Godzilla looks more like BioGoji than their actual biogoji prototype images. Perhaps the burning Godzilla is based on a newer biogoji prototype. Its definitely got a taller head, which you would expect for Biogoji and not burning godzilla. But maybe its posed facing slightly more forward so it could be just that.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Mon May 30, 2022 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Fermix wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:22 am I think the point we can all agree on is that G89 is an unusual choice to repaint into BurningG (the first time its been done, maybe?)
Nah, Diamond Select beat them to the punch by several years. In fact they did it twice (both the bust and the full body banks)