General Gashapon/Small Figurine Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
sphyrna18
Ronin

Re: POST YOUR GASHAPONS !!!

Post by sphyrna18 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:58 pm
sphyrna18 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:58 am Does anyone know if each vehicle/small Destroyah capsule contains both final Destroyah parts pictured or do they contain one or the other? If they contain both Destroyah parts, that may make this set a little easier to get, but if each capsule only contains one Destroyah part, with two options per capsule, that will make it nearly impossible to get a complete Destroyah I would think.
Pretty sure whatever is lumped together as one, (two parts) will be in there and it won’t be random what parts you get with what minifigure.
Well, that's a relief! Thanks for the reply!

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

Post by {---HYPERZeTToN---} »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:09 am Anyone who wants these and also wants to make it easy on themselves...

Showcase Daikaiju just announced they'll have these sets. $50 for the Godzilla/Destroyah set and $25 for the vehicle set (their wording).
I had a feeling this would be the case, they always come in clutch with the HG sets

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

So here's something that came out of nowhere. Outside of my screening of Shin Ultraman, there were blind mystery boxes. They contain Gabora, Neronga, and three poses of Ultraman. I got 4 out of the 5, and they're rather nice figures at 670 a piece, which is expensive for a blind bag.

You can see them all here:

Here's a closer version of Neronga and Gabora:

Sorry for the darkness, but you can tell they're unpar in quality with some of the better recent high-grade figures.
They also scale well with the other high-grade Godzilla stuff. While not a spoiler for Shin-Ultraman, you can infer a lot from what I'm going to say, but according to the pamphlet:
Spoiler:
There's going to be a second series of these.
Here's where the conspiracy comes in:
While they were in boxes, and you had to partially assemble them (for example put their heads and tails on, noticeably they already had limbs attached. To demonstrate what I am talking about, look at this figure of Neronga:

When I pulled each figure out of the box, Neronga was separated into three pieces, the torso, tail, and the head. Weirdly, it looks like the arms and legs were originally separated pieces, and for whatever reason you had to only put on the tail and head. What I'm guessing happened, was that these were originally intended for a much earlier release as Gashapons, which are generally released around the release of their media. However, because Shin Ultraman was so delayed, they opted to put them into blind-bags instead. I don't have solid proof, but if you're expecting Shin Ultraman Gashapons, they exist, but are blind boxes instead.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Are these made by BANDAI or another company?
Size DOES matter!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Petezilla wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:43 am Are these made by BANDAI or another company?
A company called Character Contents Production. No Bandai logos. Is this the big distinction between Gashapons? Are gashapons a sort of Bandai only thing?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:50 am
Petezilla wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:43 am Are these made by BANDAI or another company?
A company called Character Contents Production. No Bandai logos. Is this the big distinction between Gashapons? Are gashapons a sort of Bandai only thing?
I believe BANDAI (sort of) 'invented' GashaPon figurines or at least somehow hugely characterized these kind of items. Originally GashaPons were small toys (mostly made of parts to build-up) which were sold in capsules randomly via vending machines (its still that way today). The term 'GashaPon' was derived from the sound these machines made when used to receive a capsule from them. BANDAI later strayed from this with webshop releases like an Ultraman Tiga anniversary set including a giant Gatanozoar vinyl figure, which released under the GashaPon brand for whatever reason, but... BANDAI-logic ~

However, I'm not sure whether the term/brand is related solely to BANDAI, but I think there are experts on here who may correct me if I got something wrong.
Size DOES matter!

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

"Gashapon" is a Bandai registered trademark for their gacha style toys. Gachapon is a more general term. You can see on the displays that go in the machines and on the insert papers that come with each figure, there is a blue-silver-orange "Gashapon" logo on Bandai products.

On an unrelated note: prototype version of the HGX Burning Godzilla next to HG D+04 Godzilla 1994 for size comparison

Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

I know this set and the idea behind it clearly isn't for everybody, but I still dig it. Mind you, Destoroyah could've been painted better, but I still like how it came out. Good sense of scaling here, better than most Gashapon sets.

https://twitter.com/mun123563/status/15 ... 4660545536

The Toho Super Weapon set is also available, and the vehicles were made to go with those from the Destoroyah set. Good for army-building, as one person here demonstrates:

https://twitter.com/suzukiokaji/status/ ... 72/photo/1

Last edited by Shenanigans on Sun May 22, 2022 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

^ I just managed to obtain both complete sets. Thanks for the heads-up! :Destoroyah:
Size DOES matter!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Where’d you find ‘em? I see the Godzilla/Destroyer set on ebay but I’m struggling to find the vehicle set, which is the one I really want.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Petezilla wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:24 pm ^ I just managed to obtain both complete sets. Thanks for the heads-up! :Destoroyah:
Sorry for my impatience. I should’ve quoted you the first time. Would love a lead on where to find the vehicles set.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

canofhumdingers wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:30 pm
Petezilla wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:24 pm ^ I just managed to obtain both complete sets. Thanks for the heads-up! :Destoroyah:
Sorry for my impatience. I should’ve quoted you the first time. Would love a lead on where to find the vehicles set.
I use a japanese middleman, who buys stuff directly from various japanese sites/stores. There are plenty of online services like that for overseas customers to choose from, too.
Last edited by Petezilla on Mon May 23, 2022 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Size DOES matter!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I won’t blame you if you bought/invested in the set for completion sakes, but this is the first thing in a while im going to skip, unless I come across it in the wild. The movie monsters Destoroyah seems like a good and cheap alternative, and there’s already been some good mini figs in the past. I think the military stuff and super X are actually way cooler than the Destoroyah or burning Godzilla itself.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:08 am I won’t blame you if you bought/invested in the set for completion sakes, but this is the first thing in a while im going to skip, unless I come across it in the wild. The movie monsters Destoroyah seems like a good and cheap alternative, and there’s already been some good mini figs in the past. I think the military stuff and super X are actually way cooler than the Destoroyah or burning Godzilla itself.
100% Aagreed. How many damn gashapon Burning Godzillas do we need now?
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Tue May 24, 2022 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

It’s cool that they really focused on making the various monsters the correct scale with each other. But yeah, I’m not interested in the monsters. I haven’t been into gashapon in general for a while now.

But the vehicle set…. With all those showa era weapons? I need four or five of those sets! I’ll probably have to settle for just one or two. But man…

I know they’re not the same size but I lost the “closed nose” part of the Super X 2 from the Toho machine chronicles sets forever ago and I’d love to have a super x 2 that can be displayed with the fire mirror open or closed again. Plus I think this one will scale better with the SHMA G’89. The machine chronicles one looks good, but it’s clearly too large.

Added in 2 hours 11 minutes 1 second:
Soooo….. the Godzilla Store “forcing” me to learn how to use Buyee might be a problem…

I just ordered 5 sets of the “Ultimate Toho Super Weapon” gashapon set off Yahoo!japan auctions.

But geez, they were only $9 a set. I know shipping and fees will add to the price but it’ll still be a bargain. And I’ve wanted an army of little Toho vehicles like this for SO long. Though I’m not sure what I’ll do with 5 Super X and Super X 2…. I might build a version of each with weapons/fire mirror opened and closed but glued in place so I don’t have to worry about losing swappable parts.

Will definitely be treating these like tiny model kits and painting them up as detailed as I’m capable on such tiny pieces.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Gamera 2 set finally revealed. August release.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Yay! The packet from Buyee came pretty quickly. I got five complete sets of the vehicles. I plan to build and paint them like model kits but I couldn’t resist putting together one set straight out of the box quickly to check them out. They are quite small but also not all the same scale. The maser tank and A-cycle light ray seem to be the same scale. The missile truck seems to be a slightly larger scale (maybe?). And the Super X’s are a very small scale. But this is because they are “box scale” meaning they’re all roughly the same size as each other to fit in the same size package (capsule). I think the trucks/tanks work fine with 6-8 inch scale figures but the super x’s are definitely more the size for pairing with 4 inch figures.

Below are some pictures of them along with the regular SHMA BioGoji, a Bandai MMS Burning goji (both 6 inch scale), and a Hyper G’84 (4 inch scale). Also the Toho machine chronicles Super X’s for comparison.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

After seeing you pictures, I think I'll pick up a set. Also, I'm glad the next Gamera set is finally coming out. I was hoping the Legion Soldier would look good an I'm definitely looking forward to it.

On an unrelated note, there seems to be another skeleton set coming out. I didn't get the first one but I'm sure some people will be interested.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Oooh… a glow in the dark Godzilla skeleton is quite tempting indeed!

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

That I'll ghat ~ :godzilla2021:
Last edited by Petezilla on Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Size DOES matter!