Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by Executive Hamster »

$15 doesn't seem bad. Depending on the size of course. I feel like that's probably how much you'd pay for like a Jurassic Park figure.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:14 am $15 doesn't seem bad. Depending on the size of course. I feel like that's probably how much you'd pay for like a Jurassic Park figure.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174772787248?h ... SwIT1go11T

It's about an inch and a half tall.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Got the Battle Mechagodzilla yesterday. My brother switched the spines with the orginal version and I like them both better.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:30 pm Got the Battle Mechagodzilla yesterday. My brother switched the spines with the orginal version and I like them both better.
Any pictures...?

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:24 am On a related note, why are the old 2005 Kong Playmates toys so expensive on the aftermarket? I was thinking of nabbing some of the sets that come with humans to use in a display with my NECA Kong, but no way I'm spending that sort of money on them.
For my own NECA Kong, depending on the 'scale' I'm trying to suggest, I have used either a little DnD mini, or a repainted Pirates of the Caribbean figure. In both cases I was looking more at 'what did I already have on hand because I'm cheap' than accuracy, but they work well enough.

Besides, Kong changed sizes depending on whatever he happened to be standing next to all the way back in the original movie, so if anyone notices discrepancies in sizes in my pictures that make no sense, they're not a mistake on my part, they're a HOMAGE...
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:41 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:30 pm Got the Battle Mechagodzilla yesterday. My brother switched the spines with the orginal version and I like them both better.
Any pictures...?
No yet but soon.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

With the announcement about the Apple+ Godzilla/monsterverse series, do you think playmates will make figures on this series since playmates is using the monsterverse packaging now?
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

That'd be nice, but there's no telling at this time. It might depend on how much variety we get in monsters.

...So, I finally took advantage of Rodan being on Amazon, and he arrived the other day. I'm happy to have him...

Image Image

...But to be quite honest, this figure looks like a bootleg. Yeah, it's obvious that the figure is modeled off of the old Bandai figure, which I guess is a neat callback; but it just looks so off that it seems more like something trying to avoid getting flagged as a blatant imitation of a legit product. It's a weird figure.
I'm happy Playmates is doing these classic figures, but they still have a lot of improvement to make.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Rody wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:12 am That'd be nice, but there's no telling at this time. It might depend on how much variety we get in monsters.

...So, I finally took advantage of Rodan being on Amazon, and he arrived the other day. I'm happy to have him...

Image Image

...But to be quite honest, this figure looks like a bootleg. Yeah, it's obvious that the figure is modeled off of the old Bandai figure, which I guess is a neat callback; but it just looks so off that it seems more like something trying to avoid getting flagged as a blatant imitation of a legit product. It's a weird figure.
I'm happy Playmates is doing these classic figures, but they still have a lot of improvement to make.
I didn't know Rodan had those colors on his back! I'll have to watch the original 1956 film again when I get the chance and check it out.

I take it those colors were gone by the 1960s.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I don't think he did; I'm pretty sure that's just a (crude) copy of the color scheme seen on the Bandai from '89.

http://www.clubtokyo.org/site/showVaria ... er=SHOW:31
Last edited by Rody on Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Nope, Rodan had those colors. Not sure if the suit had it but at least one of the flying props actually did.

But I guarantee no one at Playmates knew that. This figure is clearly copying the Bandai. You'd think something made 30 years later would actually be superior.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:46 am Nope, Rodan had those colors. Not sure if the suit had the but at least one of the flying props actually did.

But I guarantee no one at Playmates knew that. This figure is clearly copying the Bandai. You'd think something made 30 years later would actually be superior.
There is a Star Wars movie joke in this post.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Lol yes, I suppose that applies to Star Wars as well.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Prequels or sequels? Cause I will defend the prequels with my life....
....don't answer that, actually. I've already derailed too many threads this week XD....

I actually don't think Rodan looks too bad. All three 56 Rodan figures that come to mind are pretty good really. Im super excited to get my YMSF soon, and I already have the Bandai, so I dont think I will get it. BUT being on Amazon that price isnt bad at all, so maybe....

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Executive Hamster wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:25 pm Prequels or sequels? Cause I will defend the prequels with my life....
....don't answer that, actually. I've already derailed too many threads this week XD....

I actually don't think Rodan looks too bad. All three 56 Rodan figures that come to mind are pretty good really. Im super excited to get my YMSF soon, and I already have the Bandai, so I dont think I will get it. BUT being on Amazon that price isnt bad at all, so maybe....
The ST.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

darthzilla99 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:02 pm With the announcement about the Apple+ Godzilla/monsterverse series, do you think playmates will make figures on this series since playmates is using the monsterverse packaging now?
My guess is no. Since it may be a year or more before the series comes out, and even longer for another movie, I think the Playmates "MonsterVerse" line will consist of assortments featuring one or two new sculpts (kaiju from KOTM and 2014) with several GvK repaints added in. I'd bet Playmates will put any Apple-based figures under its own branded line, after episodes are released for streaming.
Last edited by G1985 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

The new figures look awesome! Burning Godzilla, black MechaGodzilla, a new Ghidorah, and Wow a Terrestris figure!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Don't post pictures or links or anything helpful...

Added in 2 minutes 40 seconds:
Terrestris is an inspired but welcomed choice. Someone on the Playmates team has to be a Gorosaurus mark at this rate. The new Shin is also a marked improvement on their initial offering. It looks really phenomenal. I might even grab it for my Godzilla display.

Ghidorah also looks really friggin' cool. Depending on how he scales, might grab him.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:45 pm Don't post pictures or links or anything helpful...

Added in 2 minutes 40 seconds:
Terrestris is an inspired but welcomed choice. Someone on the Playmates team has to be a Gorosaurus mark at this rate. The new Shin is also a marked improvement on their initial offering. It looks really phenomenal. I might even grab it for my Godzilla display.

Ghidorah also looks really friggin' cool. Depending on how he scales, might grab him.
Sorry! They weren't my pictures to share. Next time I will.