Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Re: Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

Post by Anguirus »

That is awesome! One can hope....

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

If they had a Gamera re-release before his foes, like Gigan before Final Wars Godzilla, I wonder what extras it might come with? Breath effects for the versions that lacked them?

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Dang, Gamera foes would be awesome.

Just got the Gigan re-issue in the mail today. He is simultaneously awesome and terrifyingly fragile! The extra accessories are really cool too. The articulation is a bit strange, but it’s an older figure so it makes sense the engineering wouldn’t be as refined as recent releases. The paint on the teeth is sloppy but everything else looks great. Overall a nice addition to the shelf.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I really thought the SHMA Mechagodzilla '21 was too big, but watching the "beam lock" scene again, it's a lot closer than I realized. There could be a little perspective stuff going on, but MG21 is huge.

Last edited by Poe Ghostal on Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Where is Gigan fragile, the swappable parts? Few things are more annoying than to have something that's SUPPOSED to come apart break in a way that it never goes back together...

I did go back and look at recent releases and there seems to be no pattern at all for 'extra parts'. Gigan's reissue came with the same as before (enough to make an entirely different version) plus the new cables, beam, and stand. Final Wars Godzilla didn't even come with a breath effect. SCV Ghidorah is going to have the same stands as before but that's it. Jet Jaguar got a helicopter pack, spear, and mini-figure, but Ultima just got a couple mini-figs and a spare head. Hedorah got an entire 2.5 extra figures and stands for two of them.

I wonder at this point if Rodan will come with battle damaged JJ heads and a new backpack or the like, or if he will just look like a mutated Amber Series toy.
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Platypus Prime wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:47 pm Where is Gigan fragile, the swappable parts? Few things are more annoying than to have something that's SUPPOSED to come apart break in a way that it never goes back together...
All the pokey bits of Gigan (spines, fins, claws, spikes, etc.) are made of a very hard and brittle feeling plastic. The pokey bits feel like they’d be very easy to accidentally snap off. And Gigan is almost entirely covered in pokey bits! To the point that it’s hard to find a place to hold him when posing.

But even so, it’s a really cool figure and lots of fun to play with. I haven’t tried swapping any parts yet, though the little claws that come off to attach the chains seem kinda tight. Guess I’ll find out whenever I try to use the chains at some point.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:48 am I really thought the SHMA Mechagodzilla '21 was too big, but watching the "beam lock" scene again, it's a lot closer than I realized. There could be a little perspective stuff going on, but MG21 is huge.

That is because Godzilla is crouching. MG is not that big.

https://imgur.com/a/9q4bxLJ

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

One thing you may want to try when parts-swapping is a hair dryer before pulling anything out, to soften the plastic a bit. I've done that for many 'pop apart' ones that didn't, and it helps minimize any risk.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

I’d be careful heating Gigan. All the spines and spikes are a very hard plastic that feels a lot like styrene (the kind of plastic model kits are made of). Styrene can be heated and shaped but it also has a tendency to shrink and curl if it gets too hot.

One time I accidentally shrunk a piece of a b-wing model beyond salvageability just trying to straighten it out with a hair drier. It suddenly shriveled up like a shrinky dink without warning.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Oh, I hadn't realized. Ugh, that might make any repairs tricky too, styrene is not the easiest thing to piece together cleanly when it snaps, either.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Toho is officially celebrating Gigan's 50th this year. So seems like a Showa MonsterArts could definitely be in the cards. At least if Hedorah is anything to go by.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I've been hesitant on Gigan both due to the thin parts and the fact that I have a lot of things that look like 'upright dinosaur' in body style already, but I'd love to see if they make a MonsterArts Megalon, it seems more possible now since he appeared with Gigan in a different movie and Hedorah's big evolution-pack makes me think the sky's the limit for what's possible now.
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

SP Rodan offically revealed!

Gotta be honest, wasn't super interested when announced but accurate wing fold articulation and the mini ones to make a flock have me MAJORLY interested.

Added in 11 minutes 23 seconds:
Also, the cheapest Monsterart at 4,590 Yen ($44) at MSRP, so def worth a pick up
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Cool-looking figure! The wing-walking is a nice feature, even if it's execution isn't the prettiest. The little Rodans are a nice touch as well, I'd like to get them to display with my Ultima but I don't think I'm interested in the main figure enough to justify a purchase.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I might actually consider it cause of the price.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Looks great! Fortunately, the better looking of the 2 main Rodan SP designs :P Pretty bizarre wing articulation, but I guess it can't really be helped. That's also astonishingly cheap.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Comparing the little ones to Ultima and the big one to them, Rodan is tiny. On the other hand, it would ALSO make a great 'Skull Island' pterosaur and chicks for any version of Kong to fight too if you repurpose your stuff however you feel like at the time like I do...

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

It's cheap. So I'm getting it.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Outside of Godzilla 2021 and Kong, this is probably the first figure to not cost around $100 or more in the last several years, no? Can't believe they didn't put him in a two pack or something, I never expected a solo release like this.

That said, it's actually very nice to have a smaller, cheap release again! Paint is a bit flat, but forgivable since its an animated character. Love the mini Rodans, too. I think its the first and only figure (or figures) of the SP Rodan, so a must-have for me. Looking forward to him and Jet Jaguar!

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Question: Are the wing parts connected with tiny ball joints? Then it could be so fragile