Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
SpaceG92
Keizer

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by SpaceG92 »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:24 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:04 pm Can I ask...what would you do with the figure if the arms could move? When it comes to Gamera vinyl figures, moving arms don't really amount to much because the only way that looks right is when it's in the neutral pose.
I don't know moving parts on these things just made them funner to play around with. I just prefer they move a little. Moving pieces certainly better than nothing isn't it? I always enjoyed ones with moving arms or legs more than the static ones. It's why I never bought an Ultraman or Baltan vinyl because their legs didn't move.
To be 100% honest. I've seen customs with leg swivels, both horizontal and nice diagonal cut. and it kinda looks weird. I'm not used to seeing it I think. This is coming from a guy who really only likes Neutral Posed figures for the reason of adding more possibility with articulated cuts.

I like more cuts on a figure. Not only does it give play-ability but gives nice posing options. Going to stroke my own idea's some more, but expanding vinyls with more cuts in more places would be baller. Imagine a MechaGodzilla 1975 but with more cuts. Imagine some pegs in his mouth so he can open and close his mouth. Diagonal cuts on his elbows so he can salute. As well as knee cuts and diagonal hip cuts so he can assume a crouching position. In all, maybe +7/8 more articulation cuts on a figure. While it breaks the mold and adds a nasty seam sometimes, I like what Bandai Creations did with their Burning Godzilla's tail giving it an additional cut and when posed right from the front gives him a nice tail flail. For sure this will probably increase their cost but for a more "dynamic" line I can see it being appreciated.

Yadda yadda small parts warning, kids ripping them apart at stores, kids EATING the arms and what not. Blah, control your damn kids. Can always give them a very weak glue seal and have them "popped" loose to avoid that or make them in closed in a tight box or blister.

On the same note, what abomination of a diagonal cut they did on GMK Ghidorah's tail is NOT what i'm talking about.
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I find it amusing how much people care about articulation on a Bandai figure. 99% of the time you are going to play around with it once then put it on your shelf in a neutral pose. The only articulation that really changes how the figure looks is the head articulation and arms. You can't do much with the legs cause otherwise it won't stand, and usually the only think moving the tail does is break the sculpt. Even with the head and arms, the difference is minimal. People usually don't get mad about XPLUS lacking articulation, and they should know what to expect from Bandai.

I understand if someone wants to pick it up and fidget it a bit, sure. But not being able to do that RUINS the figure? No way. Bit of an overreaction there. Unless they start using ball joints and adding ankle joints and such, articulation on Bandai figures is kinda pointless.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I'll happily trade a little articulation in a Bandai if it means a better sculpt/pose. It does seem a bit odd Bandai opted not to cut Gamera's arms; but the figure looks so nice so far that I wouldn't complain.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Bandai Gamera 96/99s should be able to morph their arms into wings and take flight. If not worst figure ever, 0/10.
Last edited by tbeasley on Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Rody wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:08 pm I'll happily trade a little articulation in a Bandai if it means a better sculpt/pose. It does seem a bit odd Bandai opted not to cut Gamera's arms; but the figure looks so nice so far that I wouldn't complain.
Yeah, it's a nice figure overall and very affordable. I think it was a weirder choice that they glued the tail down; the suit had a very blocky design so the locked arms don't surprise me. If it were one or the other, I don't think people would be as nitpicky.

At the end of the day, it is what it is. If you bought it to display, which a majority of us did, it really doesn't take away too much. I can't say how it fairs as a toy but it almost feels like the Gamera line has been aimed at a slightly older crowd. I'm not sure how popular he is with Japanese children as it stands.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

A friend found the Playmates Bandai Gorosaurus for me today. I love how his head has the perfect joint for a 'snap' pose with the Kong of your choice. However, while I know it's not intentional, I noticed something weird in how 'real' therapods have the bird like legs, large head, and horizontal body. Godzilla generally has a much larger lower body, flat feet, and a smaller proportional head.

Gorosaurus looks like an odd transition between the two, the large head is still there, the body is partially upright, and the feet are flat. It's like a therapod was halfway to becoming Godzilla. New personal canon for my monster shelf...

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Man you guys are not gonna like the Shin Ultraman Specium figure

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Just got my G3 Gamera and Iris.

They are easily the best MMS figures I've ever had.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Those are indeed nice looking!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Prior to these figures I never realized how different 95 and 99 Gamera looked. Gamera 96 is an edgier, literally, version of the 1995, whereas the 99 one went in a different direction.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Though both characters have many designs, in my own head, Gamera 95 is similar to Godzilla 89 in that's how I usually 'picture' the character. Meanwhile, Gamera 99 is similar to Godzilla 2000 for me, spikier and more feral looking. Both are great, and both appeal to me in the same way.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Interestingly, it seems like Godzilla 2000 and Gamera 99 are also the fan favorite of their respective suit designs....and both are designs that I really don't like too much (for mostly the same reasons), but that's beside the point XD.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

It's hilarious how much bigger the 95's head is than 99
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Well, this just became an instant favorite in my collection:

Beautiful colors.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Hedorah the Sherbet Monster! He reworked his image when he found out 'smog' carried negative connotations...

I love the way it seems to light up. Does it actually glow or is that just the color itself?
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Platypus Prime wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:00 pm Hedorah the Sherbet Monster! He reworked his image when he found out 'smog' carried negative connotations...

I love the way it seems to light up. Does it actually glow or is that just the color itself?
It doesn’t light up or anything, but there’s a light to the right of them the photo. It is a really bright Orange however. Other than that, it’s just a special re-color of the recent MMS Hedorah figure that’s been unveiled/released.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Actually both recent MMS Hedorah special variants are repaints of the old 2007 mold. The upcoming standard MMS will use a completely new model.
Size DOES matter!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Petezilla wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:02 am Actually both recent MMS Hedorah special variants are repaints of the old 2007 mold. The upcoming standard MMS will use a completely new model.
You mean this one?
https://godzilla.store/shop/g/gGSG0680067/

Yeah I see it now. Oh well, cool all around, I'm glad to have both.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Took some pictures of the Gamera 3, Legion, and Iris figures. I've had Legion for a few months now and it is definitely my favorite of the bunch. Gamera definitely is lacking in articulation but otherwise figure very solid. Enjoy.

https://imgur.com/gallery/VBLv2Mm

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Got my Iris, Gamera, and BioGoji today. Fucking fantastic!! The MMS is getting back to where it used to be. I definitely need to grab Gyaos and Legion too. BioGoji's proportions are just fucking fantastic. Looks exactly like the 91 suit, except for the eye color. My Iris' leg is a little weird though. His right leg angles in, so he leans on his right leg and right tentacle with his left leg up. I may have to heat up his tentacle and try to pull it down so he's on both feet.
Last edited by KingKaiju on Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.