Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Re: Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

Post by Executive Hamster »

God i cannot wait to get my ultima. Looks so damn cool.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Just got my G'04 order secured ~ :g2k:
Size DOES matter!

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Some new pics of MechaG here. Should be arriving fairly soon.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXItQC_BNbE/
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:58 pm Some new pics of MechaG here. Should be arriving fairly soon.

Wow he's gorgeous. I already loved the design, but damn he looks so nice. It seems from different pictures I've seen that the hydraulics in the legs actually work. I really hope they're the metal.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:58 pm Some new pics of MechaG here. Should be arriving fairly soon.

The true cause of his evil: no one reciprocated his high five 😔

Fantastic. Can't wait to get it.

RIP Evan.

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

I just had the oddest dream related to Godzilla in my entire life. I was dreaming that watching TV i saw something like an insect leg land on the tv, suddenly i noticed there is lots of them, and they are not just legs, they are abdomens heads tórax of orange leaf like color mantises, and they are like odly perfect, toy like.

I touch one leg and it flies and attaches next to the abdomen, then a head, and suddenly one of them is complete, it looks at me and I'm like no way that's impossible.

It flies and it lands next to my destoroyah, is around the same size and it clicks in my head and i scream "nanofuckingbots?!?"

The thing was like a kamacura designed in the heisei era. And i ran to hide in the bathroom from the killer insect toy. Then i woke up laughing at me saying something so dumb "nanofuckingbots" and wishing it was at least a real desing, it was really nice looking, an orange leaf mantis with a thick torax.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

the-killer-wc wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:38 am I just had the oddest dream related to Godzilla in my entire life. I was dreaming that watching TV i saw something like an insect leg land on the tv, suddenly i noticed there is lots of them, and they are not just legs, they are abdomens heads tórax of orange leaf like color mantises, and they are like odly perfect, toy like.

I touch one leg and it flies and attaches next to the abdomen, then a head, and suddenly one of them is complete, it looks at me and I'm like no way that's impossible.

It flies and it lands next to my destoroyah, is around the same size and it clicks in my head and i scream "nanofuckingbots?!?"

The thing was like a kamacura designed in the heisei era. And i ran to hide in the bathroom from the killer insect toy. Then i woke up laughing at me saying something so dumb "nanofuckingbots" and wishing it was at least a real desing, it was really nice looking, an orange leaf mantis with a thick torax.
Dude, make this into a movie. Seriously.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

the-killer-wc wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:38 am I just had the oddest dream related to Godzilla in my entire life. I was dreaming that watching TV i saw something like an insect leg land on the tv, suddenly i noticed there is lots of them, and they are not just legs, they are abdomens heads tórax of orange leaf like color mantises, and they are like odly perfect, toy like.

…What does this have to do with SH Monsterarts?

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Question: for those of you who have Biollante (OG or SCV), would you say she is worth every penny of approximately $300? I've had the OG 1992 Bandai Biollante for years and a MMS 6-inch Biollante in my collection, which both leave something to be desired in each of their respects. If I were to get the Monsterarts, I'd probably sell both figures to make space and reduce redundancy in my collection. I can afford her but want to make sure it is worthwhile if I am dropping that much cash on a figure.

On another note, I also just recently ordered 89 on a deal with Gamestop on Cyber Monday. Was hesitant for a long time about getting it because I think the NECA is charming despite its imperfections, but finally saw a deal that I couldn't really say no too. Additionally, my OG Monsterarts 94 Goji got some damage years back and a new Heisei model might be a good fit in my collection.

Thanks guys
Last edited by GodzillaXGomoraFight on Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:55 pm Question: for those of you who have Biollante (OG or SCV), would you say she is worth every penny of approximately $300?
If it were me personally, I'd buy her for that price. Considering what she normally goes for on the aftermarket, it's an okay price, and she's also one of my all-time favorite monsters. If I didn't already own her I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

BUT... at the end of the day we're still just spending money on a big hunk of articulated plastic, so whether or not you think dropping 300 dollars on that is up to you.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Naruto65
Futurian

Post by Naruto65 »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:55 pm Question: for those of you who have Biollante (OG or SCV), would you say she is worth every penny of approximately $300?
$300 now or $1000 later. It won't get better than what's available now as the SCV is just about dried up from retailers. Don't sleep on it to long.

You can get it here for $270 shipped. https://www.gaelhobbies.com/figures/blu ... =Biollante

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I look at it more like designing an art collection. I have tried several Ghidorahs for my Monster Shelf, and none worked well. What I wanted was something with the mold of the 2019 MonsterArts but the color of the classics. Then the SCV was announced and I sold my others to go for the one that I wanted. I'd say if it works for you, just go for what you want and skip the 'cheaper' substitutes, as if you keep getting more chasing what you really would like, you'll eventually spend the same or more anyway. Best to just cut to the end and SAVE money.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:55 pm Question: for those of you who have Biollante (OG or SCV), would you say she is worth every penny of approximately $300? I've had the OG 1992 Bandai Biollante for years and a MMS 6-inch Biollante in my collection, which both leave something to be desired in each of their respects. If I were to get the Monsterarts, I'd probably sell both figures to make space and reduce redundancy in my collection. I can afford her but want to make sure it is worthwhile if I am dropping that much cash on a figure.

On another note, I also just recently ordered 89 on a deal with Gamestop on Cyber Monday. Was hesitant for a long time about getting it because I think the NECA is charming despite its imperfections, but finally saw a deal that I couldn't really say no too. Additionally, my OG Monsterarts 94 Goji got some damage years back and a new Heisei model might be a good fit in my collection.

Thanks guys
I think its worth it! I loved my bandais for so long, but they didn't compare once I started collecting SHMA (then SHMA couldn't compare to X-Plus, and X-Plus couldn't compare to resin kits). And for a monster the sheer size of Biollante, with all her intricasies, I think I'd rather have the more detailed figure.

EDIT: I say that, but honestly some SHMA are better than their X-Plus counterparts. For example, I'd look at DesuGoji. I prefer it to the X-Plus Sakai because it has a more accurate facial sculpt, even though both are sculpted by Sakai.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Thanks for the insights guys and I appreciate the link Naruto. Platypus makes a good point about treating your collection like an art collection and from shadowgigan how collections change over time. The Bandai has served me well for a long time but at this point there are better figures out there nowadays. Shame that the figure has depreciated in value so much over the years , but at least selling my other Biollantes effectively makes the Monsterarts cheaper than what it is after netting.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

The point of selling to take down the cost a bit is a good one. I had a Comic-Con explosion Godzilla, and I just wasn't happy with it, or any of the other "burning" derivatives. Especially when I found a loose NECA Reactor Glow in a yard sale box that I thought looked much more interesting (I know, blasphemy...) so I kept Reactor Glow, and got SVC Biollante using money from selling the Comic Con one. Majorly cut down the out of pocket costs.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Thank you gents. Just confirmed purchase of my Biollante from Gael Hobbies (not only at $270, but free FedEx shipping as well). I slept on it and decided that you guys are right and it is basically now or never before it fully goes out of print. Selling some of my older figures off, although not immediate, will help in both creating space and in bringing down the cost.

2021 really has been an incredible year of Godzilla collecting and might be one of the best I've seen in my lifetime. In total, purchased a whopping dozen figures in comparison with only a handful in prior years! Really goes to show you we are in a new glory age of Godzilla and merch.

If anyone wants any more vintage figures, keep an eye out for some listings to pop on eBay within the next few weeks or months or DM me here if interested. Would rather sell a bunch of these to a collector who really wants them rather than put them in the toy box lol.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I completely agree with you regarding the collecting explosion. It isn’t like the old days. It’s like a Kaiju arms race!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:49 am If anyone wants any more vintage figures, keep an eye out for some listings to pop on eBay within the next few weeks or months or DM me here if interested. Would rather sell a bunch of these to a collector who really wants them rather than put them in the toy box lol.
If it's no trouble, shoot me a PM when you decide to sell. I might be interested in some things!
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

shadowgigan wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:33 am I completely agree with you regarding the collecting explosion. It isn’t like the old days. It’s like a Kaiju arms race!
Yea I mean the last time I remember a ton of merch dropping from Japan was back in 2004 for the 50th anniversary. This year is way different though because I feel like many companies are now creating new figures and merch across all price points. Really no better time to be a fan!

I'll PM you at some point soon Ultraman Goji once I have the list of figures I want to sell finalized and I start snapping some pictures of them for sale. Not sure if we have a thread here within the toy forum about selling figures.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:31 pm I'll PM you at some point soon Ultraman Goji once I have the list of figures I want to sell finalized and I start snapping some pictures of them for sale. Not sure if we have a thread here within the toy forum about selling figures.
We don't, and I don't think Arbok will ever allow it but I don't see the harm in selling through PMs and advertising purely in signatures if needed.