Y-MSF Figures Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.

Which is your favorite Y-MSF figure?

1. Hedorah
6%
2. Gabara
11%
3. Godzilla 1962
10%
4. Godzilla 1967 w/Minya
5%
5. Varan
6%
6. Rodan
6%
7. Godzilla 1965
11%
8. Godzilla 1968
2%
9. Manda
13%
10. Megalon
30%

Total votes: 125

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Y-MSF Figures Discussion Thread

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Can not wait.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Definitely looks BETTER in those photos, I just think it would look even better less shiny.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

See, those two are a hell of a lot better than that Godzilla 1989. I really hope they actually release those guys, they look stunning next to Bandai's surprisingly limited Final Wars offerings (in the 6 inch scale, at least). My only real gripes would be that Hedorah's details seem a bit too soft (though it may be because I'm used to the Bandai Ultimate Monsters Hedorah) and Zilla is too tall, but I think they look as good as you could hope for.

By the way, how much has he been selling the Hedorahs for? He teased a Neo Hedorah repaint that I may have to go for, depending on how it ends up.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I think Zilla will look great with a proper matte detailed repaint. The new standard sized Hedorah (far right) however looks absolutely stunning in its sculpt and paint and I will definitely get one to replace my current YMSF Hedorah, which I always thought the eyes were off. Too big maybe? Too symmetrical?

The funny thing is I never really realized how much I disliked the YMSF Hedorah sculpt until I saw the new one.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

Post by {---HYPERZeTToN---} »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:18 pm See, those two are a hell of a lot better than that Godzilla 1989. I really hope they actually release those guys, they look stunning next to Bandai's surprisingly limited Final Wars offerings (in the 6 inch scale, at least). My only real gripes would be that Hedorah's details seem a bit too soft (though it may be because I'm used to the Bandai Ultimate Monsters Hedorah) and Zilla is too tall, but I think they look as good as you could hope for.

By the way, how much has he been selling the Hedorahs for? He teased a Neo Hedorah repaint that I may have to go for, depending on how it ends up.
Taking in retail price, shipping fee and PayPal's (tax) fee, you'll end up paying $73-$83 for one figure depending on which shipping option you chose (between small packet airmail and EMS)

IMO the retail price is fine but the overseas shipping cost sours it for me even though i've caved a couple times, and will do it again lol

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

{---HYPERZeTToN---} wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:21 am Taking in retail price, shipping fee and PayPal's (tax) fee, you'll end up paying $73-$83 for one figure depending on which shipping option you chose (between small packet airmail and EMS)

IMO the retail price is fine but the overseas shipping cost sours it for me even though i've caved a couple times, and will do it again lol
Thanks for the info! A little pricey, but these things always are.

He will say when the paint variants are available to buy, right? He posted the new variant I want but didn't say anything about availability.

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

Shenanigans wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:06 am
{---HYPERZeTToN---} wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:21 am Taking in retail price, shipping fee and PayPal's (tax) fee, you'll end up paying $73-$83 for one figure depending on which shipping option you chose (between small packet airmail and EMS)

Thanks for the info! A little pricey, but these things always are.

He will say when the paint variants are available to buy, right? He posted the new variant I want but didn't say anything about availability.
Yes, he always gives updates on when he's gonna sell new figures, but mind you, he lives in Japan so he usually puts em up for sale super early in the morning (all US timezones)

{---HYPERZeTToN---}
G-Force Personnel

New set of Showa Hedorahs just dropped

Skeletor, Singular Point v2 and Neo :Hedorah:

Secure yours now before they sell out

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Spider Hedorahs incomin.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Mistwalker98
Ronin

Post by Mistwalker98 »

Bio Goji is now on sale. Kinda torn if I'm going to get one or not.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I gotta say, they dont look nearly as bad as I thought they would. The prototype images weren't very promising at all. But, get a professional to repaint them and you might be able to get a good figure out of em. Im considering the closed mouth one.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

My local comic shop has so many grails on their shelves, I'm pretty sure my mom picked me up the YMSF Manda figure for Christmas. There was also Kumonga but ehhh Manda is nearer to my heart.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Wait they actually released Zilla? That's awesome!

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Not released yet, as far as I can see. My buddy who regularly chats with "YMSF Guy" says they should be on the way early 2022.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:52 am Not released yet, as far as I can see. My buddy who regularly chats with "YMSF Guy" says they should be on the way early 2022.
What about that new '64 Godzilla? That's one I'm really excited for.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Havent heard much yet, but seeing as its clearly not as far along as the Zilla or Hedorahs, Im guessing its still a few months out.

EDIT:
My opinion on this has totally 180ed. I still think the paint looks pretty bad, but in all honesty, sculpt wise, I think the closed mouth 89 at least looks superior to the Bandai 91, acknowledging the fact that I prefer the 89 suit over the 91.

The open mouth isnt AS BAD as I thought. Seems the original image had the sharpness dialed up quite a bit and gave it a weird look. Looks better here. Still not perfect.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Rodan's wings are meant to come off and can be replaced if need be; it's not like a barbell/ball joint that once it's broken, you're done for, right? I took mine out of the box I unfortunately have my figures in due to a lack of display space, and the right wing is incredibly loose and looks like it could fall off at any given moment. If it's just a matter of simply gluing it back in place, is there anything in particular I should use?
Last edited by Missingno. on Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:55 pm EDIT:
My opinion on this has totally 180ed. I still think the paint looks pretty bad, but in all honesty, sculpt wise, I think the closed mouth 89 at least looks superior to the Bandai 91, acknowledging the fact that I prefer the 89 suit over the 91.

The open mouth isnt AS BAD as I thought. Seems the original image had the sharpness dialed up quite a bit and gave it a weird look. Looks better here. Still not perfect.
The glossy finish on these really do kill them. The sculpts are fine, but that sofubi-esque gloss + spray combo just make the molds look worse than they are.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

The sculpts aren’t that good… But yes the paint hurts rather than helps an already weak sculpt.

One of the biggest problems I see with Y-MSF gojis is the skin texture almost always looks cheap and amateurish. It’s worse than what I could do myself (and having built a few Godzilla models, I actually have sculpted the skin texture with putty to fill seams). And I’m not a particularly skilled sculptor.