Mondo Godzilla Collectibles

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Re: Mondo Godzilla Collectibles

Post by canofhumdingers »

Geez the regular paint ‘84 is also beautiful. And also SOLD OUT. :sigh: :mad: :mad:

I guess it went on sale today? !@#% you Mondo. This is exactly the kind of bs that is ruining this hobby.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:54 pmThis is exactly the kind of bs that is ruining this hobby.
Lol.

Ya'll really need to stop acting like this is anything new. Exclusives and very limited runs have been a thing for DECADES.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:54 pm Geez the regular paint ‘84 is also beautiful. And also SOLD OUT. :sigh: :mad: :mad:

I guess it went on sale today? !@#% you Mondo. This is exactly the kind of bs that is ruining this hobby.
It's not always their fault though, depending on the license for each color way which im sure if how its sold buy. Like, 300 per color way of this sculpt. Max of 1500 copies. Whatever legal shit. They have to follow the set limited rule, not their fault.

Same thing goes with stuff like Garage Kits, even if produced by massive companies, the damn Bagan kit is like limited to 150 because "Toho said so".

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Just because it’s a practice that’s gone on for many years doesn’t make me like it anymore. Not to mention “that’s the way it’s always been” is an incredibly poor justification for, well… almost anything really. It’s frustrating as heck when they make things so impossibly hard to get (for whatever reasons). I didn’t like it 20 years ago and I don’t like it now.

And I swear it’s only gotten worse over the decades (particularly as everything has moved online). I don’t have any empirical evidence to support that claim. It’s just my personal experience.

Anyway, I’ll stop my old man ranting. Now get off my lawn!

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

I picked up the New Hedorah Variant! Wanted the Goji too, but it sold so fast.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Limited releases are garbage malpractice for consumers Always .
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LiamNeesons
Samurai

Post by LiamNeesons »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:17 pm Limited releases are garbage malpractice for consumers Always .
Totally agree. I refuse to play that game. I don’t understand what’s so hard about letting everyone have a shot at getting the figures. Is it just to brag about how fast they sold?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

So, can I expect this thread to devolve into non-stop bitching about how limited these figures are every time there's a release?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Till they fix the business model, yes sir.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:33 pm Till they fix the business model, yes sir.
Lol.

I guess we should never have convention exclusives either, right? Not just from Mondo, but from any company. Fuck that. Sorry, but no. Part of collecting is actually collecting the hard to get stuff. It's part of the chase. I guess Y-MSF should stop doing their awesome, limited run repaints of their molds too. e_e

I am beyond happy when someone sees something I got that was limited and now sold out. That's part of the fun for many collectors, including myself. There's PLENTY of lines that aren't as limited as stuff like this. X-Plus has had G'85s. Marmit has had G'85s. And I'm pretty sure there's more. ​I'm annoyed I missed this G85 as well, but that's my fault. Not Mondo's.

There's nothing wrong with their business model. They are making money. That's the business model. They're exclusives and extremely limited runs. Just because you're not fast enough on the draw doesn't mean the business practice is broken.

And as an add-on, what *IS* broken with this scene, and I won't say it doesn't/can't happen with Mondo, is when scalpers use bots to eat them up. THAT is wrong.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:

LiamNeesons
Samurai

Post by LiamNeesons »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:26 pmAnd as an add-on, what *IS* broken with this scene, and I won't say it doesn't/can't happen with Mondo, is when scalpers use bots to eat them up. THAT is wrong.
I mean, I thought that’s what we were talking about. That’s what I was talking about. Any time I see something in “The Drop”, I just ignore it because I know they’re getting scooped up in a minute or two and being sold on eBay for 2-3x retail.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LiamNeesons wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:50 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:26 pmAnd as an add-on, what *IS* broken with this scene, and I won't say it doesn't/can't happen with Mondo, is when scalpers use bots to eat them up. THAT is wrong.
I mean, I thought that’s what we were talking about. That’s what I was talking about. Any time I see something in “The Drop”, I just ignore it because I know they’re getting scooped up in a minute or two and being sold on eBay for 2-3x retail.
Well yeah, that's the issue with these releases. Until big business fixes their security, they need to refrain from these business models. It doesn't work.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Yes, but not ALL of them. Last time I looked, there were only a handful of the previously released 85's on E-Bay from scalpers. And now Mondo added a "one per household" safe guard for this release, which will also help prevent bot purchases. This is something that companies like NECA have yet to do when they put new stuff up. I don't collect their TMNT stuff, but the NECA groups I'm in almost always become a circle jerk of bitching when stuff gets sold out in seconds because of this. And NECA refuses to fix it.
_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:01 pm
Well yeah, that's the issue with these releases. Until big business fixes their security, they need to refrain from these business models. It doesn't work.
They are getting money and they sell like wild fire. Tell me again how releasing limited releases isn't working. You honestly just sound pissy that you can't pull the trigger fast enough.

Quote of the Year:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Lol without engaging in that fun behavior, I'll just be the bigger person and say I've been a huge collector for 18 years. I know the ins and outs of the hobby, so if I see an issue within the community, I feel I should say something. Whether you agree or not, is up to you, you can always choose not to respond.

I'm thinking a bit larger than "Business makes money, business is satisfied, 4 people are happy with their purchase, 1000s pissed about the lack of authority against scalpers and outdated business models. What of it, it works."

The grand majority of collectors don't want to wake up at 5am on a Tuesday, lose out to bots, while big business pats itself on the back for selling out in 2.6 seconds. That's a fact. This isn't a Mondo-only complaint, but for some consumers these kind of business models are the straw that break their interest in the hobby. It's tedious, unrewarding and unneeded.

Mondo is known for being exclusive so that's that, but due to COVID, countless scalpers have been sitting at home with trigger fingers and bots. Not a single one of these businesses have upgraded their security systems to handle the bots, not a single company has upgraded their stock to make sure they make as many sales as they can excluding bots.

Yet Hasbro, NECA, Mezco, Mcfarlane, etc are all taking full advantage of the current state of the world to make everything some kind of store or online exclusive, while upcharging $10-$20 for the exclusivity, without making sure it's fair-game. Scalpers are reciprocating by buying out full stock, be it PS5s, sneakers, figures, you name it, to fill the belly of the beast.

Don't take me for someone slow to the draw, I've gotten numerous preorders in, but I know for a fact that it's a garbage business model that sadly will continue, due to an influx of new collectors who don't know they're being played like fiddles.

Great on whoever actually gets their hands on this stuff, exclusivity is cool when it gives everyone a real chance. I just find it funny how its easier to buy imports these days than actual native content.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:26 am, edited 5 times in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I didn't really collect anymore but i still run my Godzilla Collectors Group on FB, where we have somewhere in the neighborhood of 6k members. Every time something Mondo comes out for pre-sale, maybe one or two people will post to say they got it, while EVERYONE else will complain they weren't quick enough, no matter what they did. Minutes later, someone else will post a screen shot of a dozen or more eBay scalpers already selling the items. It's definitely a broken system and while I agree that those scalper bots are the problem, I also agree that it's something Mondo themselves needs to step in to correct.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Obviously I’m in the camp who opposes these super hard to get, ultra limited releases. I’ve come to three conclusions as to why.

1. Collecting is a hobby. It’s supposed to be fun and enjoyable. An escape from the negative things in this world. These blink or you miss it preorder practices absolutely suck the fun and enjoyment out of it. That’s just my opinion, but clearly I’m not alone in it.

2. The rarity of these items is artificially generated and therefor completely hollow. These items didn’t become rare through the natural progression of time like, say, an original Bullmark figure. Whether it be from a licensing stipulation, a choice by the manufacturer, or what have you; these collectibles come with a manufactured “scarcity” deliberately baked into the release. Perhaps it’s to “justify” a higher retail price or drive up demand but whatever the reason it’s fake scarcity and it’s a cheap shot IMO.

3. And that leads directly into my third point. So you have something “rare” that others don’t. Why do you* care? Why does that add value to the item? Isn’t it enough to have something cool that you truly enjoy as part of your collection? Does it really make it that much better to know that others out there can’t also enjoy the same thing? I used to fall prey to the “rare” hype myself but in the last few years I’ve realized it was ridiculous to feel superior or happy about having something others can’t. It’s just childish. “Bragging rights” are worthless.

*I’m not trying to direct this at anyone specific, it’s a generic/hypothetical address
Last edited by canofhumdingers on Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I was with ya until the third point. I'm lucky enough to own some of the rarest of the rare Bullmark Toho figures and their rarity is ABSOLUTELY part of their appeal. I don't necessarily feel that way about everything that's rare or limited, but with the incredibly old, super rare items I actually take great pride in owning them. I'm definitely not ashamed to say that.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

That’s fine. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me and that’s probably a good thing. But in cases like really old stuff you mention, the rarity is genuine and not artificially forced. I personally don’t have any bullmarks or whatnot but I do have a few things (not all Godzilla related) that are reasonably old and rare. For me I see it more as a responsibility and (for lack of a better word) privilege to own and care for them. It’s a privilege to get to own and enjoy something that’s (now) uncommon but the rarity itself is not really part of the appeal. But it’s also a responsibility to make sure I properly keep and maintain it so as to not accidentally make it even more rare.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Totally agree with you both

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:55 am Lol without engaging in that fun behavior, I'll just be the bigger person and say I've been a huge collector for 18 years. I know the ins and outs of the hobby, so if I see an issue within the community, I feel I should say something. Whether you agree or not, is up to you, you can always choose not to respond.
Yes. You have every right to not like limited releases. But you're the one who straight out said "Yep" when I came in asking if I should expect the same, constant whining about Mondo whenever a release is dropped.

That door of "feel free not to respond" swings both ways.
I'm thinking a bit larger than "Business makes money, business is satisfied, 4 people are happy with their purchase, 1000s pissed about the lack of authority against scalpers and outdated business models. What of it, it works."
Being pissed about scalpers is one thing. Being pissed about limited releases is another.
The grand majority of collectors don't want to wake up at 5am on a Tuesday, lose out to bots, while big business pats itself on the back for selling out in 2.6 seconds. That's a fact. This isn't a Mondo-only complaint, but for some consumers these kind of business models are the straw that break their interest in the hobby. It's tedious, unrewarding and unneeded.
Then simply don't support the line. You can't even lose out to bots with this release because of the "one per household" safeguard. No matter what, there's ALWAYS going to be scalpers. Facebook groups are full of them - Just ask Gregory Cordaro.
Mondo is known for being exclusive so that's that, but due to COVID, countless scalpers have been sitting at home with trigger fingers and bots. Not a single one of these businesses have upgraded their security systems to handle the bots, not a single company has upgraded their stock to make sure they make as many sales as they can excluding bots.
Valid point. And it sucks. But that's not just Mondo. And as you said, that's not even on limited releases, or even online orders. There's been proof of people buying ENTIRE stocks from stores for NECA items, for example, just to throw them up online for two or three times the price.
Don't take me for someone slow to the draw, I've gotten numerous preorders in, but I know for a fact that it's a garbage business model that sadly will continue, due to an influx of new collectors who don't know they're being played like fiddles.
The only people getting played like fiddles are the people that support scalpers. And there's already been dumbasses in this fandom that spent $40+ on Playmates Toys.
Great on whoever actually gets their hands on this stuff, exclusivity is cool when it gives everyone a real chance. I just find it funny how its easier to buy imports these days than actual native content.
Ehhhhh. Depends on what exactly we're talking about. We're in a day when we can go to Wal-Mart and find Rodan, Jet Jaguar and Gorosaurus toys. That's a pretty... mind blowing thing, at least for me.
canofhumdingers wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:02 am
3. And that leads directly into my third point. So you have something “rare” that others don’t. Why do you* care? Why does that add value to the item? Isn’t it enough to have something cool that you truly enjoy as part of your collection? Does it really make it that much better to know that others out there can’t also enjoy the same thing? I used to fall prey to the “rare” hype myself but in the last few years I’ve realized it was ridiculous to feel superior or happy about having something others can’t. It’s just childish. “Bragging rights” are worthless.

*I’m not trying to direct this at anyone specific, it’s a generic/hypothetical address
Same reason sports teams value trophies, I imagine. Bragging rights are worthless, yes. But still fun to have. I don't have any of the super old and rare stuff that's long OOP like Legion does (and he and I have gone head-to-head more than once on our difference of opinions for vintage stuff... But I do have a 1970's Popy Baragon), but in the ernd, it's simply nice having unique, rare items in your collection. For example:

Every Y-MSF in this image is a limited run version. I have yet to see anybody else really post having these variations.

And on the opposite spectrum, I've seen plenty of people have limited RIC X-Plus and convention exclusives and have been filled with envy because I want them to. Not just because I think they look cool, but because of how limited they were.

I think we can all agree that scalpers are shitty human beings, however.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year: