Mezco Godzilla Toys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
goji89
Sazer

Re: Mezco Godzilla Toys

Post by goji89 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:44 pm ^per the preorder page, shipping is free in the lower 48.
Oh, well then nevermind, guess $450 is worth it because free shipping.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

goji89 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:04 pm
canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:44 pm ^per the preorder page, shipping is free in the lower 48.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:28 pm
goji89 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:04 pm
But, but, I said it sarcastically.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Now for the important question: When does the matching light up Biollante with a six-foot vinespan and silly-string sprayer in the mouth for $950 go on sale?

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:55 pm Now for the important question: When does the matching light up Biollante with a six-foot vinespan and silly-string sprayer in the mouth for $950 go on sale?
Now we're asking the important questions here.

That huge beach would cost a grand with 5 points of articulation.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Not really feeling it. Looks kind of like the Mondo 89, which I regret buying.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:19 pm Not really feeling it. Looks kind of like the Mondo 89, which I regret buying.
Why? It looks good to me.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

goji89 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:22 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:19 pm Not really feeling it. Looks kind of like the Mondo 89, which I regret buying.
Which one?

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:40 pm
Which one?
D'oh... forgot to say which one lol.

The mondo 89. Why regret it? Did it not tickle your fancy upon arrival hmm?

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

goji89 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:43 pm

Which one?

Yeah. I don’t know why I was expecting X-Plus detail, but I was. Sucks because I had the chance to get the T’s Facto 89, but bought the Mondo because it was bigger.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:55 pm
goji89 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:43 pm

Which one?

Yeah. I don’t know why I was expecting X-Plus detail, but I was. Sucks because I had the chance to get the T’s Facto 89, but bought the Mondo because it was bigger.
Bigger don't mean better Hondo.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

I’m kinda torn on this Mezco. It is expensive, but comparing it to the typical going-prices of large scale figures from x-plus or even older bandai figures, it’s really not OVERpriced IMO. Especially seeing as those usually have less articulation and less or, more often, no electronics. And the size would make it an impressive centerpiece.

But the sculpt, while not bad at all, leaves something to be desired. Yuji Sakai and his contemporaries have really spoiled us with the work they’ve done for x plus, monsterarts, etc. when it comes to capturing not just the essence, but every last exacting tiny detail of each unique suit.

However, more than the sculpt or price, what really gives me pause is the sheer quantity of stuff coming out. Specifically the ‘89/‘91 suit. I’ve already got the SHMA ‘89 as well as the new Sakai X-plus ‘91 on preorder. And I’ve also got the old bandai 14” G91 plus several smaller candy and capsule toys of the 89/91 suit.

It’s a blessing and a curse to have so many options X_X

I think I’m gonna stick with the SHMA and Sakai ‘91, but I have to admit the thought of cancelling those two and instead getting this one giant figure is at least a little bit tempting.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

^^Congrats on the Sakai!

Another thing I don’t like about this figure…the seams. I get its unavoidable on an articulable figure, but still.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Im not going to lie, in terms of sculpt, its honestly better than basically every xplus 89 that has ever been made outside of Yuji Sakai and the gigantic. I honestly believe that most xplus sculpts that aren't by Sakai leave something to desire. Plus, the figure was sculpted by Dopepope, and I love his work so that makes me want to buy it more. And he has done a great job here, it feels very similar to the original Bandai big scale 91. I definitely wish the price was lower, but I don't think its super unreasonable if you are an xplus collector.....which I am not, but I digress.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Based on the product photos, the Mezco figure is articulated at the jaw and the base of the neck, and both arms have shoulder, bicep, and wrist swivels. Both legs have swivel joints at the hips but the knees and ankles appear to solid and posed in a semi-walking position, and the tail appears solid as well. As the product listing mentions 10 points of articulation, the above list is probably all there is.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Yeah, I have seen on other boards where some have tried to claim it's an 'upsized' Monsterarts Kou Kyou Kyoko Godzilla, but just the much more 'intact' body sculpt without the cuts for the joints shows that's clearly not the case (Music Box Godzilla has ten points of articulation in the arms alone, there's even four points of articulation PER LEG). Ultimate 89 is an entirely original work, and while it may be a bit much for me I really look forwards to the Youtube videos showing off the features! The lack of some joints may be annoying to some, but as someone who has a few Titan class Transformers of similar size, there is a point in scale with 'action figures' where the extra articulation becomes a weakness, not a strength. At this size having good solid ankles and no opportunity for the tail to droop under its own weight is probably an advantage.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Platypus Prime wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:44 pm The lack of some joints may be annoying to some, but as someone who has a few Titan class Transformers of similar size, there is a point in scale with 'action figures' where the extra articulation becomes a weakness, not a strength. At this size having good solid ankles and no opportunity for the tail to droop under its own weight is probably an advantage.
And that advantage goes far beyond just durability! More articulation means significantly increased production costs (mold tooling, test runs, product assembly steps, QC issues, etc), which will only push the retail price further upwards.
Last edited by G1985 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

G1985 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:37 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:27 pm It's getting tiring seeing every Godzilla collectible being some blatantly expensive figure/statue.
This x100. I feel as though I've been priced out of my own hobby!
Honestly, I think companies are looking at X-Plus and SHMA resales on E-bay, which (IMO) indicates a clear demand for high priced, highly detailed "premium" Godzilla collectibles. Given so-called collectible boom in general, it makes sense. I'm trying to be more selective with my purchases these days.

LiamNeesons
Samurai

Post by LiamNeesons »

I can see ‘89 in there but I don’t think the sculpt is completely accurate at all. But that is kind of Mezco’s MO: figures that resemble or look like versions of them. Whether it’s a style choice or just plain inaccuracies, they’ve never been able to “nail” a sculpt for any of their figures.
Last edited by LiamNeesons on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

In their superhero lines I’ve seen the term “Mez-flair” used to describe the artistic liberties they like to take with their figure designs.

Over all I’d actually argue this is pretty accurate to ‘89. It’s just not entirely “realistic” (if you can use that word to describe a giant radioactive dinosaur). Like, there’s a subtle cartoonish-ness to the sculpt or something.

Still, the more I look at it the more I kinda want it…. I keep looking at my 1/4 scale Batman figure from Neca and trying to imagine a Godzilla that big. And in my imagination it is awesome.