Mezco Godzilla Toys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Re: Mezco Godzilla Toys

Post by the-killer-wc »

I just want to see it next to their giant mezco kong. If good enough im sure they'll make a nice giant display set.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

It may also be that 89 just doesn't have quite as exciting a texture map as some others, comparing my musical Monsterarts Godzilla with my Special Color G2000, also Monsterarts, it's obvious how much smoother and less 'jagged' both the spines and the skin are on '89.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Mezco 18" Godzilla figure is up for preorder: https://www.mezcotoyz.com/ultimate-godzilla

$450
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Sorry but I don't think that figure is worth $450 dollars even with the size.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Fermix wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:24 am Mezco 18" Godzilla figure is up for preorder: https://www.mezcotoyz.com/ultimate-godzilla

$450
Happy to see that the Jakks 2014 is still the bigger beast, but that is one impressive chunk of plastic even at that price.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

$450 for that? Lol no thanks.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LiamNeesons
Samurai

Post by LiamNeesons »

Mezco are out of their minds. I was intrigued by this figure too but for $450? No thank you.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

It's a pretty penny for sure but is the price really that unreasonable when compared to things like X-Plus? This guy is way bigger, is articulated, and features electronics. It seems within the ballpark of where the collector price point would be. Am I out of touch?
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Fermix wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:15 pm It's a pretty penny for sure but is the price really that unreasonable when compared to things like X-Plus? This guy is way bigger, is articulated, and features electronics. It seems within the ballpark of where the collector price point would be. Am I out of touch?
I don't think you are. Consider that the Gentle Giant/ Toyami Shogun Godzilla ran about $300.00 when it was released back in 2015. I'd say the Mezco (which is about the same size) is reasonably priced, although it's priced in a ballpark that I can't afford.

https://www.kaijubattle.net/godzillatoh ... -exclusive
Last edited by G1985 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Fermix wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:15 pm It's a pretty penny for sure but is the price really that unreasonable when compared to things like X-Plus? This guy is way bigger, is articulated, and features electronics. It seems within the ballpark of where the collector price point would be. Am I out of touch?
Yes. The only thing it has going for it is the size. It has10 points of articulation only, a light up feature with no sound. Take Hasbro Lab Galactus which is roughly the same with lights and greater articulation that has articulated fingers. The sculpt is not X-plus material looks closer to a Neca, and with limited articulation it's basically a statue and just bragging rights. Is it the worst? No, but it isn't $450 worth.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

goji89 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:03 pm
Yes. The only thing it has going for it is the size. It has10 points of articulation only, a light up feature with no sound. Take Hasbro Lab Galactus which is roughly the same with lights and greater articulation that has articulated fingers. The sculpt is not X-plus material looks closer to a Neca, and with limited articulation it's basically a statue and just bragging rights. Is it the worst? No, but it isn't $450 worth.
This.

It's getting tiring seeing every Godzilla collectible being some blatantly expensive figure/statue.

Yes there's playmates but they're like a massive gap beneath things like Monsterarts, and those are gapped in size/price by X-Plus, Spiral Studios are their own little carved niche for those with a ton of disposable income.

And the one-off lines we see typically run above $80-$450. With Mezco and Mondo taking up spots in that range.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:27 pm It's getting tiring seeing every Godzilla collectible being some blatantly expensive figure/statue.
This x100. I feel as though I've been priced out of my own hobby!

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Ya'll should have seen this coming. It's Mezco. They make good stuff, but the prices are lethal.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Oh man. Am I going to get it? Yeah, I think I will. Goddamn. Its just too damn cool. Do we know what suit it is? My guess back when it was announced was 89, and it still kinda looks like an 89, but from certain angles the head looks off and the neck too short.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

G1985 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:37 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:27 pm It's getting tiring seeing every Godzilla collectible being some blatantly expensive figure/statue.
This x100. I feel as though I've been priced out of my own hobby!
Was anyone around in the early to mid 90s? We didn't have to deal with anything like this. You could buy a ton of items without breaking the bank. It was nice.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

I guess I'm just curious what price point everyone was expecting when an 18" tall articulated Godzilla with electronics from Mezco was announced.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I have collected Transformers since I was six, buying and later selling off ones when I had issues of space. But in the last few years, between the constant remakes of the same characters and dropping Quality Control along with rising prices, I've been sticking to what I have rather than buy new stuff. I figure, even if my nephew wants to borrow stuff (and anyone who has a toy collection and a little boy living next door and does NOT expect them to collide is delusional) it's cheaper to stick with what I have than buy something that does not work as well at a higher price than what I originally paid.

I don't get nearly as much Godzilla stuff, but I do see the point about super-expensive items, especially if they don't match what you already have. The new Mezco looks amazing to me, but I have a light-up music playing sound-making Godzilla already that has more posability, more features, and fits on a shelf, and I got it on clearance. So I begin to run into the same problem of "what does it bring to me that I don't already have?" For me, it doesn't work. But for someone else in a different situation, I imagine this will be a great centerpiece.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Fermix wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:31 pm I guess I'm just curious what price point everyone was expecting when an 18" tall articulated Godzilla with electronics from Mezco was announced.
Not $500

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Fermix wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:31 pm I guess I'm just curious what price point everyone was expecting when an 18" tall articulated Godzilla with electronics from Mezco was announced.
$450 plus shipping is NOT an ideal price point.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

^per the preorder page, shipping is free in the lower 48.