Godzilla: Unleashed (Wii)

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Godzilla: Unleashed (Wii)

Post by JVM »

Use this topic to discuss the Wii version of Godzilla: Unleashed, the third and final Godzilla game developed by Pipeworks Software, Inc. and published/released by Atari (formerly Infogrames) and serves as a sequel to their previous games, Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee and Godzilla: Save the Earth. Originally developed specifically for the Wii system, Atari later had separate teams independently develop versions for the PlayStation 2 and Nintendo DS that are only partially related to this entry, both of which were developed in around four or five months in full. The Wii version was announced in January 2007, and saw release twelve months later on December 5th, 2007, after a long hype campaign in between.

The game contains twenty-six total monsters, including all eighteen returning combatants from Godzilla: Save the Earth, two new original monsters, and six new Toho kaiju including Biollante, King Caesar, Varan, Titanosaurus, and MechaGodzilla (Showa) - these kaiju are spread across four factions that intersect within the game's new story mode, which contains roughly two dozen or more missions set throughout the game's nine "post-apocaltyptic" stages, and where the player's actions and decisions can change their loyalties to each faction after powerful crystals begin to break through the Earth's crust and create strange effects on major cities - and monsters - while the Vortaak aliens from the previous games return to harness the crystals' power for another invasion of Earth.

Unfortunately, the game's release was somewhat rushed, and the final version contained quite a few bugs, glitches and errors, which have made it a controversial game, and it received a lot of criticism both for these flaws and it's control scheme, which was specifically designed for the Wiimote and Nunchuck with motion controls, excluding the Classic and GameCube Controllers - many players found the scheme difficult, confusing or frustrating as a result. It sold poorly and was never released in Japan like the previous games. It retains the largest roster of playable characters in any licensed Godzilla game, and many members of the development team are currently working on a spiritual successor called Colossal Kaiju Combat.

Resources at Toho Kingdom:
Godzilla Unleashed (Wii) entry in Video Games section
Godzilla Unleashed entry in Project G section.
News Archive of development.
PAX Report from the News Archive. (August 2007)
Interviews section, containing five interviews.

Additional Resources
Original Monster Roster Vote
GameSpot News Archive, including six exclusive Developer Diaries
Development Blog at IGN

Related Threads[/url]
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee thread (both versions)
Godzilla: Save the Earth (both versions)
Godzilla Unleashed: Double Smash
Godzilla: Unleashed (PS2) version -- the original thread seems to be gone, but I remember starting one for it. Here's a new one, anyhow.
Last edited by JVM on Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Re: Official "Godzilla: Unleashed" Discussion Thread 2.0

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

My main problem with GU are the controls. It feels so awkward having to swing around controls, when I'm so accustom to hand-held controllers like the XBox 360 controller or the Gamecube controller. Plus, half the time, it didn't even recognize my actions. So all the controls manage to do are piss me off and make me not want to play the game.

Oh, and if anyone picks Destoroyah, then they can just whip the floor with my monster. That really doesn't make the game any fun (as well as the controls).
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

JVM wrote:I still feel it's a great game, better than the previous, even if it has a lot of errors and problems.
It's not a great game. It's a terrible game. You can still like it better than the previous ones, but that's a different thing altogether. I have no problem with people liking GU, just people thinking it's a fine game.

I believe it's phrasing like this that starts a lot of arguments, when there really isn't anything anyone should be arguing about.
bleep bloop

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

@GXG: Even Horn katana spamming can be beaten. I did it once. But I personally never have human players around, unfortunately.

I understand control complaints for the most part, although my Wii has always been fairly responsive. Hell, GU is usually more responsive than even Call of Duty Wii. Only real issue coming up is usually jumping vs. grabbing. But I can understand control issues. They have a steep learning curve, especially when yo play a lot of games.
Last edited by JVM on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Even Horn katana spamming can be beaten. I did it once. But I personally never have human players around, unfortunately.
Yeah, I know that it can be beaten. But, by the time I was told that, I just didn't care anymore. That glitch with Destoroyah really ruined the game for me, because anyone can spam it and beat almost everyone (even if it is possible to counter).
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

^ I understand. At least the AI doesn't abuse it, that would be a freakin' nightmare.

I mostly took advantage of Destoroyah to gain points before the cheats were out. Was dead useful in unlocking Godzilla 1954 and SpaceGodzilla.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Even if it's possible to counter, a glitch that asinine shouldn't be in the game.
bleep bloop

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

^ Won't deny that. Again, I blame scheduling.

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

On the issue of jumping vs. grabbing the simple solution is to grab by holding down on the d-pad
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:tl;dr is just l33tsp34k for "you talk too damn much."
I wrote: Fuck the Dave the isn't footings happen

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

(deleted)
Last edited by JVM on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soundwave
Yojimbo

Post by Soundwave »

It's not the best of the series (that honor is tied with G :!:AMM and STE) but it's not a bad game. The only reason I bought it was because of the new characters.
Formerly known as Alien8tor.
My name is Michael J. Caboose, and I... Hate... BABIES!
Red vs. Blue FTW!!!

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Tyler wrote:I've only played the PS2 version of Unleashed and it's pretty bad. There's no level of fun to it. I'd rather take it out and watch one of the movies, or play Save the Earth.
Agreed. The controls are fine on the PS2, but it's pretty much the same freaking thing in a different environment. If all of the monsters were on both consoles (MINUS Battra, since he's a re-skinned Mothra), it probably would've sold more copies.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

Showa Gyaos wrote:
Tyler wrote:I've only played the PS2 version of Unleashed and it's pretty bad. There's no level of fun to it. I'd rather take it out and watch one of the movies, or play Save the Earth.
Agreed. The controls are fine on the PS2, but it's pretty much the same freaking thing in a different environment. If all of the monsters were on both consoles (MINUS Battra, since he's a re-skinned Mothra), it probably would've sold more copies.
Oh and PS2 Obsidious was a reskinned Orga
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Battra and Obsidius shared animations with Mothra and Orga, but from a developing standpoint they did have unique skins, models and beam weapons, for the sake of some technical clarification.

Honestly though, I would never have expected Battra to be too unique. He could have been more different, but he's still a LOT like Mothra to begin with.

Gigan X3
Futurian

Post by Gigan X3 »

This game's awful, the graphics and roster is nice though, I also like the stages more so than STE's boring variations.
Chris55 wrote:
Biollante wrote:WHY DID THE TERMINATOR STEAL THE BIKER'S GLASSES IN TERMINATOR 2? IT SERVED NOOOOO PURPOSE, WHERE'S THE EXPOSITION?
He was going to kill the T1000 with SEXINESS

CheetoKamper
G-Force Personnel

Post by CheetoKamper »

Eh the game isn't that bad and at least we got another game there aren't exacly a large amount of Godzilla games you can find anymore. It's not the best but it's not as awful as most people say.
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

My issue with GU is that since the game doesn't feature online multiplayer it can get stale pretty fast, story mode can get repetitive and once you unlock all the unlockables there's not really any point in coming back to play the game IMHO.

Plus as GxG said the controls just feel ackward. I think with another six months in the oven the game could have been amazing.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

It needed classic controller/gamecube controller support
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »