Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters / Kaijuu Daikessen (SNES)

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters / Kaijuu Daikessen (SNES)

Post by BlankAccount »

I'm honestly surprised no one is making a Godzilla fighter right now. Mortal Kombat 9 and Street Fighter 4 made a new fighting game boom, so they are popular right now, the timing is prefect since the market is shifting away from shooters to fighting.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

Living Corpse wrote:I'm honestly surprised no one is making a Godzilla fighter right now. Mortal Kombat 9 and Street Fighter 4 made a new fighting game boom, so they are popular right now, the timing is prefect since the market is shifting away from shooters to fighting.
I think with both fighting games and Godzilla becoming more popular again, we can't be too far off from another fighting game with Toho's Titans duking it out. I just don't think it will be a 2D fighter even if that would be incredibly awesome.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Showa Gojira wrote:
I think with both fighting games and Godzilla becoming more popular again, we can't be too far off from another fighting game with Toho's Titans duking it out. I just don't think it will be a 2D fighter even if that would be incredibly awesome.
If we get one and it does well, I would hope it causes other game companies to look into making new IPs that explore the kaiju genera. It's really sad very few games explore the genera and most of them are Godzilla. I love the big guy but damn, I wouldn't be opposed to more Gamera or new IPs. Even the Pacific Rim fighter was decent.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

Living Corpse wrote:
Showa Gojira wrote:
If we get one and it does well, I would hope it causes other game companies to look into making new IPs that explore the kaiju genera. It's really sad very few games explore the genera and most of them are Godzilla. I love the big guy but damn, I wouldn't be opposed to more Gamera or new IPs. Even the Pacific Rim fighter was decent.
A Giant Monster fighting game is what I want most, but a free roaming one would be pretty awesome too. Chances are slim to none but a sequel to either King of the Monsters 2 or War of the Monsters would be amazing!

My only gripe with the Pacific Rim game was the lack of four player fighting, other than that it was damn good for an Xbox live arcade game. As crazy as it would be I would also love to see a Pacific Rim game where two players controlled a Jaeger at the same time, like Mario Kart Double Dash, but as a fighting game! Gamera has hardly got any love video game wise, the last one I remember hearing about was a rail shooter on the PS1 where you didn't even play as Gamera.

Ultraman on the other hand has had it pretty good. The SNES and Super Famicon games, Taiketsu Hero on the GBA, and all the Fighting Evolution games (Which are really fun!). I really wish the combat in the PS4 Godzilla game was more like it was in the Ultraman FIghting Evolution games, they were made by the same company, and it would have made the game a hell of a lot better. I still wish we could get a game that crosses over all these kaiju since we likely won't see it in a movie anytime soon. No, City shrouded in Darkness doesn't count, you don't even get to control the Giant Monsters!
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I'd like to see NRS tackle the genera. Imagine X-Ray attacks done on kaiju. If anything can survive that, it's monsters.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

Living Corpse wrote:I'd like to see NRS tackle the genera. Imagine X-Ray attacks done on kaiju. If anything can survive that, it's monsters.
They seem preoccupied with Mortal Kombat and Injustice but I would love to see that. MK9 and MKX are two of the best MK games yet (two of my favorite games for sure) and a 2D Godzilla game by them would definitely be amazing. Still not sure if I would rather have a 2D or 3D Godzilla fighting game though, 2D fighters are ton of fun, but 3D allows for four players and building destruction.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Showa Gojira wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I'd like to see NRS tackle the genera. Imagine X-Ray attacks done on kaiju. If anything can survive that, it's monsters.
They seem preoccupied with Mortal Kombat and Injustice but I would love to see that. MK9 and MKX are two of the best MK games yet (two of my favorite games for sure) and a 2D Godzilla game by them would definitely be amazing. Still not sure if I would rather have a 2D or 3D Godzilla fighting game though, 2D fighters are ton of fun, but 3D allows for four players and building destruction.
Godzilla would be cool, but I'd like to see them do make a new kaiju IP. Most things kaiju don't get any higher than PG-13 or Teen. I guess a Gamera or Pacific Rim would also be cool.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

Living Corpse wrote:
Showa Gojira wrote:
Godzilla would be cool, but I'd like to see them do make a new kaiju IP. Most things kaiju don't get any higher than PG-13 or Teen. I guess a Gamera or Pacific Rim would also be cool.
Considering even Primal Rage didn't get higher than a T rating I don't think we really need a Giant Monster game that is rated M. I would rather the focus be on good gameplay than being overly edgy and violent. Mortal Kombat's gore has never been a selling point with me, I like it for the characters, story, and awesome gameplay.

Anybody else wish they released this game a little later so we could have had Spacegodzilla or Destroyah as the final boss? I feel like Super Mechagodzilla wasn't the best choice and they chose him because he was the newest Godzilla enemy at the time.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Do we need it M rated? No. Would it be cool to get one? FUCK YEAH! Which is why I said a new IP, cause that shit won't fly with Godzilla or Gamera.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

So I recently downloaded a ROM for this game on my phone and I'm having quite a lot of trouble using Godzilla's atomic breath or any other attack like that with any other monster. I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right but it never works. Is it hard like that on the actual console too or could it just be my emulator?
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I just started playing this game seriously on my SNES today and I can make a few observations.

1. We got the wrong game back in the day. There were two Godzilla games released for the Super Famicom, this and Super Godzilla. The inferior game got ported to the Super NES. Of course, the inferior game was 1MB less in size, making it cheaper to produce.

2. This game not very fun unless you play on real hardware with a CRT. The combos are not the most difficult to pull off, but the lag induced by emulators, LCD displays and wireless controllers does not help. Don't even bother if you only have a keyboard.

3. The two controller of the Turbo CD and the three button controller of the Sega Genesis really hurts when it comes to fighting games. Even though the SNES has four face buttons and two shoulder buttons, it is still better. If the Turbo CD game supported the six button controller, the gameplay would be a lot more competitive with the SNES. Unfortunately the six button pad for the NEC consoles was not released outside of Japan.

4. Godzilla: Kaijuu Daikessen for the Super Famicom is 2.5MB, Godzilla for the Turbo Duo CD is 395MB. Naturally it will sound much better and have more varied graphics when it has over 100x the storage space available to it.

5. Practice the moves in the VS mode and get them down before trying the normal mode.
Last edited by Great Hierophant on Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Living Corpse wrote:Do we need it M rated? No. Would it be cool to get one? FUCK YEAH! Which is why I said a new IP, cause that shit won't fly with Godzilla or Gamera.
It would totally fly with Ultraman though.
Godzilla

Justemporary
Yojimbo

Post by Justemporary »

I'm just going to leave this here. Been revisiting this game again and finding it a lot of fun. Playing it on the real thing is still the best though. Emulation doesn't cut it. I have another vid I uploaded to interest a friend. I might consider making a breakdown video for each character but haven't decided yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBfy5tyKAp8

Added in 4 hours 22 minutes 38 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTMSsbSKez0

A link to part 1 of my character breakdowns. I didn't think it would be this beefy or that I had nearly 2 hours of things to discuss about this relatively obscure fighting game. I hope people in the future stumble upon it. The sparse number of comments in the videos between me and a friend fill in some gaps from the vid but nothing tgat hasn't been mentioned in this thread. Time to move on from this game officially. Though I'm sure I'll return. Like how Godzilla does. All the best everyone.

ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

This is honestly my favorite Godzilla game. Mostly because I'm a fan of fighting games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

My favorite character has to be either Megalon or Heisei MechaGodzilla.
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

ZeppandonConfirmed wrote:This is honestly my favorite Godzilla game. Mostly because I'm a fan of fighting games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

It's honestly perplexing why this game didn't get a release outside of Japan. I can see it being very popular with the fighting game community had it been released west side. 2D Street Fighter games are still being played competitively at tournament for cash prizes and re-released and remastered on the digital gaming market so they can play online with other people.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

A U.S. release was planned, but ultimately cancelled. The box art was even finished. It was also featured in an issue of Nintendo Power. Why the U.S. release was cancelled, is anyone's guess. It's extra peculiar when you consider we got Super Godzilla..so why not this game?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Goji wrote:A U.S. release was planned, but ultimately cancelled. The box art was even finished. It was also featured in an issue of Nintendo Power. Why the U.S. release was cancelled, is anyone's guess. It's extra peculiar when you consider we got Super Godzilla..so why not this game?
I don't know, but I can see guys like Max playing this. Why? Because a 2D Godzilla fighter is faster than the 3D fighters we got later on. It's pretty much Street Fighter but with Toho monsters. Even a lot of the inputs are the same as Street Fighter.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

"Max" who?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Goji wrote:"Max" who?
Oh sorry, he's an e-celebrity in the FGC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riaW-b6pWk0

ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

Living Corpse wrote:
ZeppandonConfirmed wrote:This is honestly my favorite Godzilla game. Mostly because I'm a fan of fighting games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

It's honestly perplexing why this game didn't get a release outside of Japan. I can see it being very popular with the fighting game community had it been released west side. 2D Street Fighter games are still being played competitively at tournament for cash prizes and re-released and remastered on the digital gaming market so they can play online with other people.
I feel the same way. Makes me know what a tier list would look like. I feel like Super MechaGodzilla would be at the top and Biollante at the bottom.
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality