Why hasn’t there been Godzilla video games recently?

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Why hasn’t there been Godzilla video games recently?

Post by Thatguy4683 »

So why hasn’t there been any games about Godzilla recently. I would understand that Godzilla wasn’t really popular but as we seen in GvK box office it was one of highest grossing films in 2021. Sure maybe the movie industry wasn’t releasing movies at that time but I digress. From this I would assume there has been any attempt to make a official Godzilla video game, put the last Game we got was Godzilla PS4 (i’m not including the mobile games), and that was in 2014 nearly a decade ago, so as I said before why hasn’t there been attempted to make a video game recently?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Why hasn’t there been Godzilla video games recently?

Post by LegendZilla »

Same reason why there were no games between 2007 and 2014 probably.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

There have been. Unfortunately most western fans cannot access them as they are mostly mobile games in Japan. Much like from 1990 (after the release of the 2nd Godzilla game for the NES) to 1994 (the single release of Super Godzilla on SNES) to the release of DAM on Game Cube in late 2002, there wee a ton of Godzilla games on multiple consoles in-between, but only in Japan.

Actually mobile games overall (whether exclusive to Japan, or even released in North America), have pretty much overshadowed console release games for most of my favorite franchises, which is sad. I have zero interest in mobile games, and most of those are free!

It really says something that I miss paying $40-$60 for a good console game, and refuse to spend time to download an play mediocre-bad mobile games. Now I cant speak to the Godzilla ones because, as said, they are Japanese exclusives, but for other franchises I am interested in, I have zero interest in the mobile games made available.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Its kind of funny that a lot of franchises back in the 2000s have been met with complete hiatus post that period

Star Wars, Godzilla, Transformers, and more, while Star wars hasn't been occupied due to EA's management of the license Godzilla and Transformers just can't seem to get new games despite their great success

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Let's be real, though. The era of film and TV properties getting tons of video games is long over.

Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Minya »

I'm guessing because of the horrible reviews the PS3/4 game got, publishers won't touch the license right now. Sad that movie tie in games are pretty much dead; I would have enjoyed seeing what KOTM or GvK console game would have been like.
"HOW DO YA LIKE THAT, WEIRDO?!!?"

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

o.supreme wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:36 am There have been. Unfortunately most western fans cannot access them as they are mostly mobile games in Japan.
What are the current Godzilla mobile games that are Japan only?

Godzilla Defense Force, Run Godzilla, Godzilla Battle Line and Godzilla Destruction (although this title is about to be end of life'd) are available in most regions, including the US.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

I'm just surprised we haven't gotten ports of DAMM and/or STE.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

SG-17 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:29 pm I'm just surprised we haven't gotten ports of DAMM and/or STE.
I'm pretty sure Pipeworks said it wasn't going to be possible (for ambiguous but probably legal reasons), although maybe that was just for remasters. I don't know if you're aware of Save the Earth Melee, a fan project trying to update the game (youtube channel here https://www.youtube.com/user/Gojirex/videos).
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

SG-17 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:29 pm I'm just surprised we haven't gotten ports of DAMM and/or STE.
Spoke to Atari about it a few years ago. They decided it wasn't worth the time and money to do the remastering process etc. For the games to be remastered, Atari would have to do it since they own the game.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

Chris55 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:58 pm
Spoke to Atari about it a few years ago. They decided it wasn't worth the time and money to do the remastering process etc. For the games to be remastered, Atari would have to do it since they own the game.
Unless their contract with Toho forbids it, they could have licensed out remasters.

Shame that we didn't even get a PS2 Classics release of STE for PS4 which aren't remasters, just the original game in an emulation wrapper. Hell, Nintendo has an emulation wrapper for GameCube games for the Switch available too.
Last edited by SG-17 on Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

SG-17 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:24 am
Chris55 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:58 pm
Unless their contract with Toho forbids it, they could have licensed out remasters.

Shame that we didn't even get a PS2 Classics release of STE for PS4 which aren't remasters, just the original game in an emulation wrapper. Hell, Nintendo has an emulation wrapper for GameCube games for the Switch available too.
They have all the assets of the game. They'd have to buy the rights again, and find a developer to update everything to work with today's consoles. That's how it was explained to me.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

HeaviestClaw
Young Farmer

Post by HeaviestClaw »

Sorry for Necroposting but its 2023 and theres ALOT of godzilla shizzz coming out so maybe we can expect a game or 2 soon