Godzilla: Destruction [Mobile Game]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
shadowgigan
Futurian

Godzilla: Destruction [Mobile Game]

Post by shadowgigan »

Don't see a thread for this yet. Video just appeared in my Youtube recommendations.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla: Destruction [Mobile Game]

Post by canofhumdingers »

Anyone played this? I downloaded it recently and just tried to play it but it keeps giving me an error message saying something about “this service is unavailable”.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Anyone? I keep getting the same error message about it being down for maintenance. Have yet to actually get to play the game. I even tried deleting it and re-downloading to no avail.

Sekizawa
Samurai

Post by Sekizawa »

Their Twitter account has posted that their servers are undergoing emergency maintenance and it’s going to take awhile. Probably massive hacking issues.

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

I tried out the game whenever it first dropped. It looked and sounded great, but quickly became too difficult, with overwhelming amounts of human defenses making it impossible to make any progress. Too much frustration, not enough fun.

Sekizawa
Samurai

Post by Sekizawa »

That was my experience as well, stopped playing after defeating the first boss (Super X). No way to dodge the avalanche of armaments coming from it, only hope was to concentrate on offense and hope it went down first (it did, only had a sliver of health left).

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Enemy units do momentarily pause right before they fire. They can't move while firing. It is a bit tedious though and it sucks you can't save your progress in the middle of a level. Still its not bad for wasting a couple minutes here and there.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Sekizawa
Samurai

Post by Sekizawa »

So I went back to this and within a few hours spread over a couple of days managed to clear all the levels without too many problems. Didn’t need to spend any money (although I did spend $3 on gems just to support the game). Figuring out the gem upgrade system (somewhat…it’s still really vague) helped as well as cashing in the daily signin bonus, level clear bonuses, jumping on the daily beginner’s box, and buying out the daily sale items all helped. And ALWAYS taking the Absorb ability when it shows as a level clear bonus.

There are other kaiju to play as in the game, but clearing the game with Godzilla didn’t unlock any. I see the big ticket $80 box has a King Ghidorah piece and pieces to upgrade him, so I guess the only way to use other kaiju is to pull them from rare boxes in the shop. I’ve bought specialty kaiju pieces but they look useless unless you have the base piece.

Not too difficult once you get a feel for the rhythm of the enemies firing and how you have a little time to attack once their line of fire appears on the screen. In the later levels missile launchers are the big worry-they fire several missiles, all of which do a ton of damage and continue to do burn damage for several seconds. But the big worry is the groups of 3 high speed jets-they do huge damage and can be extremely difficult to hit, especially when you’re trying to dodge fire from 10 other units-and when 4 sets of 3 jets show up, it can ruin a great run without some luck.

Bosses are the three Super X’s-best strategy for Super X 1 is to just close on it, rush and attack. This really becomes important when it’s a sub boss in the NY and London levels since it summons a bunch of support that you won’t survive long.

Super X 3 is the NY boss and requires learning the pattern and good dodging skills, especially moving at a perpendicular to it to dodge its laser. Then you can blast it as it passes, takes a lot of hits.

Super X 2 is the UK boss and likewise needs a patient approach. Has huge cascades of missiles, lasers, standard shots, and a ridiculous rotating fan of heavy fire, any of which can take your health bar to zero. It also reflects your breath attacks once it sets off its initial attack. Generally dodge the first attacks, keep moving until the mirror shuts and blast it as many times as you can while it moves past. Takes a ton of damage, but I still managed to defeat it on my second try.

Funniest thing about the game is that while it’s not nearly as ad-intensive as Battle Line, when you do watch one, more often than not you get a message that ‘we are preparing an ad for viewing, please try again later’, and you can get this five or six times. That’s right, the game makes you wait to watch an ad :)

All in all, pretty fun game. Made me think I should revisit the 1st Toho game, RUN GODZILLA. But…….nahhhhhhh.

Just checked the drop rate on other kaiju-rare boxes are indeed the only way, and the drop rate at best is only six tenths of one percent :(
Last edited by Sekizawa on Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I have unlocked Ghidorah. Only used him once so far though.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Pres. Haltmann
Young Farmer

Post by Pres. Haltmann »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:54 pm I have unlocked Ghidorah. Only used him once so far though.
By some ridiculous luck, I got both Rodan and King Ghidorah (who I actually wanted) when I used my 3k amassed gems to buy the Rare Box x10. All of his stats are higher than Godzilla's, but I swear he's even slower as some twisted form of compensation. While his model is massive, it seems like only enemy projectiles that King Ghidorah's body will cause damage; they'll pass through his heads, necks, wings, and tails harmlessly. I haven't tried Rodan, but given all his stats are lower than Godzilla's - including a measly 86 Defense compared to Godzilla's starting 100 - I don't really find myself compelled to do so.

With that aside, my biggest gripes are thus: 1. Some of the enemies are rather overpowered, namely one type of tank and the jets, though the turrets first seen in Northern(?) Japan also deserve a mention.
Spoiler:
The tank I speak of is one that looks like every other tank, and is slow to lock onto you like every other tank, but uniquely fires a single realistic bullet at Mach 7. Its sluggishness when it comes to tracking you means in theory, it would be easy to avoid; however, in practice, not only do Godzilla and King Ghidorah move incredibly slowly, and not only is the Mach 7 Bullet Tank completely indistinguishable visually from the other tanks, but it's frequently accompanied by a large number of other enemies that fire at different paces. It's actually quite easy to lose track of it when you're trying not to soak up the dozen other projectiles headed your way.

The turrets are more of an annoyance than overpowered; what makes them so grating is that unlike every other enemy I've seen so far, the turrets won't fire until you stop moving. This, of course, includes when you try to attack anything, and leads to you taking cheap, unavoidable damage.

The jets, mentioned by Sekizawa, are outright unfair. They move around in wide circles at a speed your ranged attack can't match, and trying to hit them with your melee attack is not only a similar crapshoot, but will likely lead to them ramming into you. Enemies that you bump into cause you to take damage, and while they circle the jets are simultaneously firing bullets at you - bullets you will also take the full brunt of if you try to melee them. The fact they go down in one hit is irrelevant; most enemies do, but they don't circle your monster like an annoying gnat armed with a machine gun.
2. Nothing in this game is explained. What are the nacho cheese Doritos that appear when you break things for? Not explained. What are the Godzilla mugshots you sometimes get after clearing a series of levels for? Not explained. How do the various end of level bonus options (e.g. "increased Hit Count") actually work? Not explained. What does the equipment bonus, "Raises Max Local Level by 1," do? It won't tell me. What is "godzilla's power?" Still no idea! I eventually figured out how you upgrade your monsters, but the game refuses to tell you what anything is or how to do this or that.

EDIT: I played a little bit as Rodan (on the very first set of levels). While only marginally faster than Godzilla, the difference versus King Ghidorah is more pronounced.
Last edited by Pres. Haltmann on Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sekizawa
Samurai

Post by Sekizawa »

Game has announced it will be shutting down on January 31st, 2022. Not surprising. A complete lack of transparency on the upgrade system and what many things actually did, high prices in the shop, and the extreme difficulty of getting any character other than Godzilla really hurt it. I’m kind of shocked the initial Toho games effort RUN! GODZILLA didn’t beat it to oblivion…

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

This game was almost interesting but I lost interest after maybe an hour or two... really a shame. I liked the idea of it, but the weird unlock and upgrade stuff muddied the waters, and they really DO NOT explain a damn thing in the game. Got too frustrated/apathetic to keep playing.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Sekizawa wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:14 pm Game has announced it will be shutting down on January 31st, 2022. Not surprising. A complete lack of transparency on the upgrade system and what many things actually did, high prices in the shop, and the extreme difficulty of getting any character other than Godzilla really hurt it. I’m kind of shocked the initial Toho games effort RUN! GODZILLA didn’t beat it to oblivion…
I'm still amazed that we have a running, functioning, recently updated Godzilla Defense Force game but Godzilla Destruction will bite the dust next month.

Oh well. Trying to play the heck out of Godzilla Destruction to do some coverage on the site before they pull the plug, although not sure I will get to grasp everything before that time is done. I have been datamining, though, but it's not super helpful as my familiarity with the game isn't the highest.

They never released Kong in the game, right? Because he is in the game files.
If it bites... don't mess with it!