What Is The Ideal Godzilla Gatcha/Mobile Game?

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Ganimes_Is_Valid
Ronin

What Is The Ideal Godzilla Gatcha/Mobile Game?

Post by Ganimes_Is_Valid »

So iv'e been thinking about Godzilla's rough time on mobile lately. With Kaiju Collection being shut down after only a year. And Defense Force being dead in the water. It seems like the Big G can't catch a break when it comes to mobile releases. So I wanted to pitch my own idea for a Godzilla mobile game and hear some of your ideas as well. I know most of you would rather have a new Godzilla game on home consoles. But the mobile game market is a cash cow in Japan. And the poor reception of Godzilla Vs has basically kneecapped any hope of a home console game in the near future.

Personally my ideal Godzilla mobile game would be a card based gatcha similar to DBZ Dokkan Battle. A game I hope one of you has played or that comparison will be meaningless. Dokkan Battle gets around the issue of having a finite number of characters to include by simply making multiple cards of the same character/version of said character. Ensuring that even when there is a content "drought", there will always be new cards to release. It also means that the devs can simply reuse the same sprite/model for multiple different cards.

Let's use the GMK King Ghidorah as an example. Let's say we have two cards. One is called "God of the Sky King Ghidorah (GMK)". And the other is called "Thousand Year Dragon King Ghidorah (GMK)". Both of these cards represent the same incarnation of the same character and they both utilize the same sprite/model. And probably the same attack animations too. But because they're both different cards, with different stats & abilities. They're distinct enough that I need to have them both. This completely side steps the issue that Kaiju Collection ran into, where there was a finite amount of monsters/mechs to release.

Dokkan Battle also has "Transforming" cards which evolve from form to form. Progressively getting better stats as they do. Which I think would be neat for Kaiju like Hedorah & Destroyah. Of course the game couldn't be too similar to Dokkan or Toho would be sued. I guess the gameplay could be a modified version of Godzilla Trading Battle's. We'll call it Godzilla Trading Battle Resurgence or GTBR for short. Of course it will probably be a sequel in name only, because I don't know how workable Trading Battle's system could be for a mobile game, modified or not.

I'd also like to see original Kaiju created for Trading Battle like Balkzardan finally return. Heck while were at it, lets get those two morons from Unleashed in here. But that's just my idea for a Godzilla mobile game. What about you? What's your ideal Godzilla game for mobile?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: What Is The Ideal Godzilla Gatcha/Mobile Game?

Post by GigaBowserG »

I'd absolutely be down with a modified/modern version of GTB. Like any card game, it has a steep learning curve, but it's still extremely fun. The fact you see little 3D models of the monsters face off against each other on the board and even attack one another really helps bring it to life. Extremely basic animations, but still very effective. Also, the monster card art is awesome.

I feel like GTB was a great concept, but on the wrong system... Had it been on something portable, it may have garnered more of a following, given it was all about trading monster cards & dueling other people.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Ganimes_Is_Valid
Ronin

GigaBowserG wrote:I'd absolutely be down with a modified/modern version of GTB. Like any card game, it has a steep learning curve, but it's still extremely fun. The fact you see little 3D models of the monsters face off against each other on the board and even attack one another really helps bring it to life. Extremely basic animations, but still very effective. Also, the monster card art is awesome.

I feel like GTB was a great concept, but on the wrong system... Had it been on something portable, it may have garnered more of a following, given it was all about trading monster cards & dueling other people.
Seeing 3D versions of your monsters is always rad. It's why I loved those Yugioh games released on the PS2 & DS. Iv'e always been a sucker for trading card games, especially if monsters are involved. It's why games like the aforementioned Yugioh alongside games like Duel Masters & Chaotic dominated my childhood. Which is why I went absolutely feral when I learned that Trading Battle existed.

Outside of my love for TCG's, I also want a reboot of Trading Battle because it's the only way we're ever going to see monsters like Dogora, Gabara & Maguma playable in a new Godzilla game. Heck the original Trading Battle is still one of the few games where monsters like the Gargantuas, Mothra Leo, Dagahra & ETC are actually playable. Which is nuts to me, especially since you would think the Gargantuas would be prime video game material. With how similar the two of them look and fight. Nintendo was wrong, Luigi wasn't the original Echo Fighter. Gaira Was.

I agree with you on the system part. I think an updated Trading Battle would be great on Mobile or Switch. I can kinda understand the devs of the original opting for Playstation. Because I don't think Trading Battle would have translated well to the Gameboy Color. It's also possible that the devs over at Tao Systems were just more experienced with 3D.

Speaking of Tao Systems, did we ever find out who was responsible for the card art in Trading Battle? Or is that one of those lost to the ages things?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Ganimes_Is_Valid wrote:Speaking of Tao Systems, did we ever find out who was responsible for the card art in Trading Battle? Or is that one of those lost to the ages things?
Multiple artists were involved. If you collect the cards in game, they actually credit the artists on each respective card in the "Album" section! So it's just a matter of going through and checking the card bios, and translating some of the text. For instance, Yuji Kaida did the art for Heisei Rodan, while Satoshi Nakai did the card art for the 6 original monsters.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

None, give me a handheld game, console game or PC game.

Ganimes_Is_Valid
Ronin

GigaBowserG wrote:
Ganimes_Is_Valid wrote:Speaking of Tao Systems, did we ever find out who was responsible for the card art in Trading Battle? Or is that one of those lost to the ages things?
Multiple artists were involved. If you collect the cards in game, they actually credit the artists on each respective card in the "Album" section! So it's just a matter of going through and checking the card bios, and translating some of the text. For instance, Yuji Kaida did the art for Heisei Rodan, while Satoshi Nakai did the card art for the 6 original monsters.
That's honestly really cool. It's always great to see the talented artists behind TCG's getting the credit they deserve. Shame that my Japanese is so poor. But what can you do. -_-