What Game Engine Should Be Used For The Next Godzilla Game?

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
BlankAccount
Sazer

What Game Engine Should Be Used For The Next Godzilla Game?

Post by BlankAccount »

So let's just say they stopped pussy footing around and are actually gonna give a Godzilla game a good budget. What game engine would be best suited? Or do you think a new game engine should be made all together with it's focus on larger than life characters? Since I want the next game to be an adventure game (kind of getting tired of fighters) I think either Unreal Engine 4/5, the RE Engine. There was a time where I would have said the Fox Engine but since it's currently owned by Konami and they have since become the EA of Japan, eh no thanks.

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: What Game Engine Should Be Used For The Next Godzilla Game?

Post by Gigantis »

Probably gonna be whatever's the newest thing at the time, which now would be Unreal. But with technology evolving faster than ever, the next Godzilla game will probably be on a much bigger and better engine!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gigantis wrote:Probably gonna be whatever's the newest thing at the time, which now would be Unreal. But with technology evolving faster than ever, the next Godzilla game will probably be on a much bigger and better engine!
I think if Capcom got Godzilla, the RE Engine would work wonders for it.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Yeah the Unreal Engine would be great, a nice 3rd person free roamer would be ideal for me. Imagine GTA except you're a 250 meter tall monster with atomic breath and other monster moves. The RAGE engine Rockstar uses could work with some perspective changes. Instead of one city with different towns within, it'd be different cities within an oceans distance along with Monster island as home base.

Rocksteady or Rockstar would be ideal. Give me Godzilla: Arkham Island ASAP.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:Y
Rocksteady or Rockstar would be ideal. Give me Godzilla: Arkham Island ASAP.
Love the idea of Rocksteady, but at the rate they're going, Rockstar would just add Godzilla to another DLC for GTAV. :lol:
Last edited by Gigantis on Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I think they should just leave Japanese developers to handle the Godzilla license.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote:^I think they should just leave Japanese developers to handle the Godzilla license.

I think some overseas developers can do a good job, although i wouldn't mind seeing Sony somehow make a Godzilla game.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LegendZilla wrote:^I think they should just leave Japanese developers to handle the Godzilla license.
They haven't done a great job thus far.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Any specific examples? I thought most did well enough.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Any specific examples? I thought most did well enough.
The PS3/PS4 game is one.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Unreal Engine 5 is gonna be amazing once it's available for developers.

Last edited by BlankAccount on Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

^ A Godzilla game? With that as an engine?

I'm still in preference of the Xbox X but that? Yeah, i need that.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

The one thing I think rocksteady might do the best with Godzilla in this hypothetical game, is really make use of his extensive lore. One of the greatest strengths of the arkham games was really making it feel like the player was trapped in the Gotham that has been developing over the last 70 or so years. I’d hope a Godzilla game made by anyone would capture this feeling, but I’d bet my britches rocksteady could pull this aspect off.
He Jock it Made of Steel

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gigantis wrote:^ A Godzilla game? With that as an engine?

I'm still in preference of the Xbox X but that? Yeah, i need that.
A Gamera game too. Dude has game in his name. ;) Most games today aren't even made with one game engine but several.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine

So I think as long as the RE Engine doesn't hold back an Unreal Engine (be it 4 or 5) they can be used in tandem, if they haven't already.

https://devilmaycry.fandom.com/wiki/RE_Engine

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/RE_Engine

It did wonders for Devil May Cry 5.

But imagine if a new game engine was made because of Godzilla or Gamera, how cool would it be if the kaiju genre resulted in a new game engine being made?
Jetty_Jags wrote:The one thing I think rocksteady might do the best with Godzilla in this hypothetical game, is really make use of his extensive lore. One of the greatest strengths of the arkham games was really making it feel like the player was trapped in the Gotham that has been developing over the last 70 or so years. I’d hope a Godzilla game made by anyone would capture this feeling, but I’d bet my britches rocksteady could pull this aspect off.
That's a very good point, even some of the better games don't really use the lore. I'd want them to take things from the lore and create a new story all together. Super Godzilla even back then for as much as critics slammed it for it's gameplay and controls, praised the art and story. I think Super Godzilla is honestly the last game that even tried (and succeeded) in having a story, others just have an excuse to rampage.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

unreal engine is #1 by far, nothing really even touches it at this point, big gap between #1 and #2

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I know I've posted a lot of videos in this topic and I might even have to go back to spoiler them so the page loads faster, but I think a Godzilla game would benefit from an engine that can use even basic Ray Tracing. Godzilla is a special effects series, energy attacks with amazing colors and effects, Godzilla's reflection showing up on the windows of a building as he walks by, etc. It's about time we get a game that reflects that. When Godzilla charges his Atomic Breath his plates should light up an area at night like in the 2014 movie. Weapons and mechs should have a dull shine to them. Oh and Neon lights in Las Vegas, Spacegodzilla's crystals glowing.

Look what simple Ray Tracing, not something more advanced like Nanite and Lumen technology, but simple Ray Tracing or even Path Tracing can do for a 22 year old game like Quake 2.

As one commenter put it "While I still prefer the original release from an artistic and aesthetic standpoint, its really funny seeing a 22 year old game become a hardware pusher once more."

or even what Minecraft looks like.

Pretty impressive. Now do I think every game or everything in it needs this? No, and while I think it improved some things in atmosphere in some cases it also took away from the art style and atmosphere in others while still being impressive. I see it as a case by case thing. But I think if they got a game engine that didn't struggle too much with this I think the next Godzilla game could benefit from it. Godzilla: Unleashed was a mess but as far as Wii titles go it was actually impressive with some of it's environments, and if I had the know how I'd make a mod and shaders for the emulator of it to use Ray Tracing to see what it'd look like. Seattle would probably look amazing.

Of course with that being said I do want them to focus on making a fun game first then look into if they can implement these effects in or not. Obviously we don't want a repeat of Unleashed where it's pretty to look at but a chore to play.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.