Say something negative about the Pipeworks trilogy

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Say something negative about the Pipeworks trilogy

Post by LegendZilla »

Hey guys, just got back from G-Fest XXV and if was awesome as usual. How was it for you for those of you who attended? I hope you had the best of times.

Anyways, on to the point. The trilogy of Godzilla games made last decade by Pipeworks is almost universally hailed by fans as the pinnacle of Godzilla gaming. However, since everyone’s different not everybody found them satisfying and this thread is dedicated for just that. I greatly enjoyed the first two games upon release, but when Unleashed came out, it ruined everything for me. It is by far the worst offender for apathy towards movie-accuracy with the Kaiju, for example, Showa MG not given his proper roar and the developers also had an ultra-petty excuse for not including Hedorah. They wanted to make him a liquid-shapeshifter like the T-1000, but they left him out just because they couldn’t make him they way they wanted to, which is not a big deal since he was reasonably solid in the 1971 film.

Other complaints I have is when character of Miku suddenly sounds a broken record if you beat the game as the Alien Invaders(although it could’ve been my disc copy damaged a bit). There is also one cut scene in which Ghidorah is given Gigan’s roar when the Votraak queen performs an expirament on him to boost his power.

What issues do you people have? Unleash your criticisms.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ArchdukeSquidlyIII
G-Force Personnel

Re: Say something negative about the Pipeworks trilogy

Post by ArchdukeSquidlyIII »

THE VORTA-THE VORTA-THE VORTAAK HAVE WON, EARTH IS DOOMED!! Thanks for reminding me about that :P
Please refer to me as jiggy22 (or just jiggy!)

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

-Godzilla Unleashed being a nightmare for controls and only being on the wii and ps2
-creating the factions that fans have been forcing kaiju into for the past 10 years
-fairly boring original kaiju

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

- Inconsistent system releases for all three games.
- Awful motion controls for GU Wii.
- Lack of sufficient bug testing for GU Wii leading to some embarrassing glitches.
- Double Smash. Just...Double Smash.
- Lackluster PS2 version of Unleashed which honestly should’ve just been scrapped at that point.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Double Smash needed more than 4 months to development time. I see why Santa Cruz was embarrassed by it.
Last edited by Chris55 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Godzillian wrote:-creating the factions that fans have been forcing kaiju into for the past 10 years
FUCKING THANK YOU, I am so tired of seeing random monsters in factions they never belonged in.

As to my negative things for Unleashed

* the worst story mode for a fighting game I've ever seen.
* Removing nearly all weight the monsters have
* Not making Godzilla 1990s and Godzilla 1954 playable in Story Mode.

RIP Evan.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I can't put my finger on it specifically but despite being a better game with more features I don't feel like STE is nearly as fun or charming as Melee.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Easily the biggest negative is the story mode for Unleased, which is just a random mess.

I've never seen anything quite like it in any fighting game I've ever played.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Godzilla Unleashed controlled like garbage.

The mini games in STE mostly suck.

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

The "Godzillas" save for Godzilla 2000 in Unleashed all looked off, way off.
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

bonziebonzie
Yojimbo

Post by bonziebonzie »

Oooh boy, I could talk about Unleashed all day! But just to name a few things:
-The wonky motion controls and the fact that the monsters constantly fall over honestly makes Unleashed unplayable imo.
- The faction aspect of the game really needed a lot more fleshing out. (E.g. alternate endings depending on which faction you decide to team up with). There’s no point in teaming up with any other faction when you’re always going to get an ending related to the faction of the monster that you are playing. You think with a mechanic like this, they would allow you to change sides (e.g. playing as an earth defender who fills up the alien meter gets you an ending where you help the aliens take over earth).
-Krystalak and Obsidius are really lackluster kaiju.
-This is a minor nitpick, but the lack of music during battles honestly kinda annoys. The music in Destroy All Monsters Melee honestly really added to the experience.

Northwind1995
Ronin

Post by Northwind1995 »

UltramanGoji wrote:- Lackluster PS2 version of Unleashed
This is what I was going to say when I read the title of the thread.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

How about the fact that a non playable Battra in GSTE looked far more accurate than the playable GU version.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Godzilla: Unleashed.

Nuff said.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Living Corpse wrote:Godzilla: Unleashed.

Nuff said.
The PS2 and Nintendo DS versions for sure.

I think I'm in the minority that kind of likes GU for the Wii though.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Godzilla: Unleashed.

Nuff said.

The Wii version was playable, but still an unfinished game. Frustrating cause I see what they were trying to do, the execution was bad. I feel it would have gotten less hate if the motion controls were optional and not mandatory.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:

I'm with you in that minority.

Flawed, sure, but I have a lot of fun playing it for what it is. It didn't take itself too seriously.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

CheetoKamper
G-Force Personnel

Post by CheetoKamper »

Not really a complaint about the games but about people who say Unleashed is the "best" and their reasoning is the amount of monsters and that's their only reasoning.

The fact that G 90's and G 54 seemed like afterthoughts in Unleashed in that they're almost identical in game play and model. Don't get me wrong it was cool to have 54 make it into one of them finally but not like that.

The whole Destroyah thing.

Putting in the two original kaiju was neat but I would've rather had Gabara and Showa Gigan.

I really didn't like the way health worked in unleashed and the fact that a beam attack couldn't take out an enemies health...I don't even know what to call it really because there were health bars but then health sections so I guess I'll say section, unless you were MechaGodzilla 1 or 2 which made the beams feel lame more than anything else. The general balance of the monsters minus Destroyah was good though.

One thing I didn't like about DAM is that once I unlocked the monsters and cities I didn't really feel very compelled to play anymore, there wasn't much to do in terms of an "end game" and unless you had friends who liked Godzilla and fighting games it didn't have much to offer at least to me.

STE I don't really have any complaints, it improved on what was good about DAMM, it reworked the cloned characters to give them enough difference to matter, added different modes to play with people, it had ONLINE. My only 2 negatives were the concept art that had Titanosaurus in it just making me wish he was actually in the game :P , and the cutscene for beating the game on hard mode always being Godzilla 2000 no matter who you actually beat the game as. I mean it's a cool scene and I like it but if I beat the game as Ghidorah it's kinda weird to see Godzilla doing what I just did with his arch enemy.
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

They fucked PS2 owners on their version of Godzilla Unleashed.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Destoroyah never flies.

UNLEASHED could use some more monsters like Zilla, Ebirah, Kamacuras, Kumonga, Manda, Rodan (1956), Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah, Hedorah, Modified Gigan, Destoroyah in his Juvenile, Aggregate & Flying Forms, Decapitated Mechagodzilla 1975, Super Mechagodzilla with Garuda, Orga in his UFO and Milennian forms, Minilla, Little Godzilla, and Godzilla Junior.

AND LASTLY...

Battra being PS2 exclusive.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing