Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Gerdzerl

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Post by Gerdzerl »

Very interesting stuff. Neat to hear that Anguirus and Rodan were gonna be playable.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

Man, this game is so...mystifying.

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Post by The Godzilla King »

Using my .TBL file for the game, I found some leftover text:

THIS MONSTER IS NOT A PLAYER! (Usually the game just tells you how much health the enemy kaiju has)

SHORTAGE OF ENERGY FOR MOVING PREVENTS ADVANCE! (This is the most interesting one, supposedly you were supposed to be able to run out of energy and that would prevent your advance)

And this is a Monster List I found in the rom:

GODZILLA MOTHRA ANGILAS RODAN GHIDORA MECHA GODZILLA HEDORAH GIGAN BARAGON MOGUERA VARAN GEZORA

Modifying these will change the kaiju's name in the game.

I made some codes that replace 1 and 0 in the password screen with I(F048 1B) and O(F047 21). They only work with the Japanese version because the Addresses are different and I just happened to be messing with the Japanese version. There are actually X Y O and X Y I cheats but both take you to Earth anyway.

I'm pretty much done messing around with this game, there's probably nothing else to be discovered in the game.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Well man you've found quite alot! Its pretty cool everything you've dug up and I thank you for all the stuff you've found.
Resized Image

Naruto65
Futurian

Post by Naruto65 »

Here's an HD remastered box art I created from HD sources as well as replicating original fonts and objects!

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

That HD cover is pretty cool! Too bad I don't own the game nor do I own an NES. :\

I got bored yesterday so I decided to mess around with the Godzilla's palette. This is what the game would have looked like if Godzilla was not blue and was instead his traditional colors:

Oddly enough, this doesn't work with Anguirus for some reason. I can't really change Godzilla's crouch spines without changing his atomic breath black as well.

If anyone else wants this, you don't even need a hacked rom, just use these 3 codes:

0091-10
0092-2D
0093-FF

These codes could cause side effects like changing the palette of other stuff in the game.

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

And one final update. According to The Cutting Room Floor wiki, this is Rodan's palette:

I've also included anything else that wasn't used on the image. Those are the actual palettes used for the board sprites for Angilas and Rodan, my guess is that they were gonna be changed later if they had actually been in the game.

And finally, here's an unused song I found by accident:

And that's pretty much it. I'm gonna go find some new game to mess around with now.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

It's amazing how much stuff was hidden in the game, now watch it in 2 years you start messing around with the game again for fun and you discover Biollante in the game :lol: Also I have a idea for the game you mess around with, Godzilla Generations who knows what stuff could be in that game that or Godzilla 2.
Godzilla

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

You could try looking in to Minilla and Jet Jaguar's sprites in Battle Legends.

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Young Guy wrote:You could try looking in to Minilla and Jet Jaguar's sprites in Battle Legends.
Yeah I could probably do that. Should be as simple as finding the Address and changing the value.
g2vd wrote:It's amazing how much stuff was hidden in the game, now watch it in 2 years you start messing around with the game again for fun and you discover Biollante in the game :lol: Also I have a idea for the game you mess around with, Godzilla Generations who knows what stuff could be in that game that or Godzilla 2.
lol I'd love to see that happen since Biollante is one of my favorite kaiju.

I've looked into Godzilla Generations a few years ago and didn't find anything, but it is possible I missed something. Godzilla 2 has leftover Japanese text in the rom, but that's pretty much it.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

You I think you can easily access the unused music in the sound test code. I went through it awhile ago and its definitely worth checking out
Resized Image

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Beef Bigshot wrote:You I think you can easily access the unused music in the sound test code. I went through it awhile ago and its definitely worth checking out
Really? I thought it wasn't in the Sound Test. I know there's some unused music, but I don't remember this particular track in the sound test.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

I can't remember what track it is exactly but I do distinctly remember hearing it before. Pretty catchy tune
Resized Image

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

The Godzilla King wrote:
g2vd wrote:It's amazing how much stuff was hidden in the game, now watch it in 2 years you start messing around with the game again for fun and you discover Biollante in the game :lol: Also I have a idea for the game you mess around with, Godzilla Generations who knows what stuff could be in that game that or Godzilla 2.

I've looked into Godzilla Generations a few years ago and didn't find anything, but it is possible I missed something. Godzilla 2 has leftover Japanese text in the rom, but that's pretty much it.
Huh, you would think Godzilla 2 would have some stuff. who knows about GG after all you didn't find Rodan and Angurius the first time.
Godzilla

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Beef Bigshot wrote:I can't remember what track it is exactly but I do distinctly remember hearing it before. Pretty catchy tune
Well, it is uploaded on Youtube by multiple different users. I'm not the first guy to find that song.
g2vd wrote:
The Godzilla King wrote:

Huh, you would think Godzilla 2 would have some stuff. who knows about GG after all you didn't find Rodan and Angurius the first time.
Yeah I was hoping for Godzilla 2 to have some leftover Rodan NES content, but nothing.

Godzilla Generations has duplicate models but there doesn't appear to be any difference between them. There's also some image in the files that calls the game "Godizilla Generations" if I remember correctly. I'll probably post some images in the Godzilla Generations topic. However, the sequel has some leftover test models.

EDIT: Was the Godzilla Generations topic deleted or something? I can't find it.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

The Godzilla King wrote:Was the Godzilla Generations topic deleted or something? I can't find it.
It must of gotten deleted in the hackings, here I made a new one.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23485
Godzilla

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

I recently purchased this and an NES top play it on. It's pretty good what I have played of it so far.
Rest in Peace Victoria

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

GojirO wrote:I recently purchased this and an NES top play it on. It's pretty good what I have played of it so far.
Just now it IS kinda tedious at points, but ultimately I'd say a pretty fun game overall. If you know your Toho stuff, then you'll see a ton of references to many movies they have done.
Resized Image

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

I downloaded a rom for this earlier today and have been playing the heck out of it. I recently tried the destroy all monsters mode and managed to defeat all the monsters up to Ghidorah with Mothra (Lost Godzilla earlier). Ghidorah's health had literately a sliver left before he killed me. I was so close to victory..... :lol:
Last edited by godzilla98rules on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

Still my favorite Godzilla game ever made. For its time the sound and graphics were better than anything else on the NES, easily. I never knew about the Rodan and Anguirus stuff, man that would have made it even better. Now I'm getting the urge to go watch that like 5 hour creepypasta about it again...