Bandai Namco's 『ゴジラ-GODZILLA-』PS3/PS4 GAME

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Bandai Namco's 『ゴジラ-GODZILLA-』PS3/PS4 GAME

Post by LegendZilla »

goji89 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:29 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:37 pm
PuzzledAmphibian wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:44 pm
Local multiplayer
That's one thing. Anything else you can think of?
Tighter control's obviously, get rid of the tedious and redundant tasks of destroying power generators, a better character select screen akin to fighting games, open world, underwater battles lol, better story mode..... I mean just my two cents.
What other objectives do you think there could be?

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:34 pm
goji89 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:29 pm

Tighter control's obviously, get rid of the tedious and redundant tasks of destroying power generators, a better character select screen akin to fighting games, open world, underwater battles lol, better story mode..... I mean just my two cents.
What other objectives do you think there could be?
Don't know but something that isn't so boring after like a few playthroughs. Also, easier getting the cells to power up the kaiju instead of having to slog through a shit ton of playthroughs to get JJ circuit board or Mothra scales.

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

I wish combos weren't tied to your G-Energy bonuses. I felt more obligated to combo and rush the entire level in order to maximize my size (Biollante and Rodan are gods at this), to the exclusion of fighting bosses until everything was leveled, rather than enjoying a methodical building-by-building destruction. I think the reactors and defeating kaiju should have been the only means of increasing your size, with the destruction of each resulting in a shift of balance towards good-neutral-bad. Obviously a threshold is reached and you hit Burning mode which should have pros/cons such as massive power increase but lowered defense/declining health.

I may have posted this many pages ago, but I would have also liked to have seen Kamacarus, Kumonga, small/flying Hedorah, and Destoroyah aggregates as small fodder to destroy besides JSDF. Biollante's vines could have been used as enemies prior to fighting her.

I wish there was more than just ankle deep water levels.

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

PuzzledAmphibian wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:44 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:06 pm what precautions do you think should taken to not repeat the same mistake as last time?
Local multiplayer
As you mentioned, not adding a blocking system for every monster was a glaring oversight. If I am to play devil's advocate, I enjoyed the feeling of playing as the monster "suit." So I actually wouldn't want them to lean too far into traditional fighting gameplay. A happy medium would be nice.
goji89 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:29 pm underwater battles
Spydrmanjr wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:36 am I would have also liked to have seen Kamacarus, Kumonga, small/flying Hedorah, and Destoroyah aggregates as small fodder to destroy besides JSDF. Biollante's vines could have been used as enemies prior to fighting her.
Great ideas! :Mechagodzilla74:

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

Yup, I still play this game and it very much feels closest to a Godzilla and co. simulator than any of the other games that have been produced. That is one reason why I keep coming back to this game to play and it is what I want to see in a Godzilla game.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

It's too bad this game hasn't fared well, I would've liked to see the MUTOs and Bagan in a future Godzilla game.

Then again, it probably would've suffered from the same clunky controls and mechanics. Godzilla games unfortunately haven't had the best track record. The closest we got to a good Godzilla game, if you don't count the fighting ones, is probably Godzilla Generations: Maximum Impact, and even that wasn't particularly great.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

It really is a shame how the game turned out, because you can see that a lot of love went into it. The monster entrances are all true to how they appeared in the films, the sound effects are all correct and sound appropriate, the monsters all look good, the destruction feels good when you are wreaking havoc, and the roster is nice (if a bit on the small side), but the gameplay... is something else. It does feel movie accurate. So much so, that it feels like you a controlling an actor lumbering around in a 50kg suit, which he can barely see in, and makes him unable to do anything remotely dexterous. I don't hate the controls, and I do prefer that the monsters feel too heavy than too light, like they did in Unleashed, but tank controls are a pretty tough sell nowadays, especially with the incredible end-lag that a lot of moves in this game have. Looking at you, Showa Mechagodzilla.

I really do think the Devs' hearts were in the right place with this game, but the lack of budget and poorly conceived idea as a whole really hurts this game. It is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, but by no means is it a classic.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

One thing I've always found extremely strange is that despite the fight between Legendary and Heisei Godzilla being so prevalent in the marketing, being the climax of the intros for both the PS3 and PS4 version, and even being one of the very first things we saw in the game's various teasers, It really doesn't play much of a part in the game.

Legendary only shows up at the very end of the game for a surprise boss fight that's never really elaborated on and I think its a major missed opportunity. While it might have been difficult it would have been very interesting if MV Godzilla was hunting Heisei throughout the game's storyline and was a major cause of why Heisei was trying to acquire as much G-energy as he could. Perhaps MV would stop chasing Heisei if you were less destructive and fought more evil monsters than good ones giving a little bit more weight to the game's good, neutral, or evil paths as for the most part in the game's current state, they really don't matter other than a few dialogue changes.

You also get the same ending no matter what you do and the inclusion of Legendary Godzilla despite the significance of two different distinct Godzillas existing in the same world, you could cut him from the story entirely and nothing would change. MV Goji doesn't even play a part in weakening Heisei for the military instead its all the Mazers and the Super-X that do it in a cut-scene altogether it makes him feel irrelevant and makes it so the player has no real agency in the game world

Though that could be a consequence of restrictions from Legendary in how to depict him and that Legendary only had one movie at the time, I still feel that more could have been done to help iron out some of the game's narrative flaws. Because despite the dialogue, the prime ministers and operator the story and path system is just so much weaker than Super-Godzilla what, or particularly Godzilla Unleashed which despite having a lot of jank and its own cut-corners had better varying storylines which is what the Godzilla and particularly every other path in the PS4 game lacks

Playing any path other than Godzllla makes the game feel ever more like a random assortment of levels with no real end goal in sight and makes all of them feel like robots
Last edited by ROMG4 on Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

ROMG4 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:43 am One thing I've always found extremely strange is that despite the fight between Legendary and Heisei Godzilla being so prevalent in the marketing, being the climax of the intros for both the PS3 and PS4 version, and even being one of the very first things we saw in the game's various teasers, It really doesn't play much of a part in the game.

Legendary only shows up at the very end of the game for a surprise boss fight that's never really elaborated on and I think its a major missed opportunity. While it might have been difficult it would have been very interesting if MV Godzilla was hunting Heisei throughout the game's storyline and was a major cause of why Heisei was trying to acquire as much G-energy as he could. Perhaps MV would stop chasing Heisei if you were less destructive and fought more evil monsters than good ones giving a little bit more weight to the game's good, neutral, or evil paths as for the most part in the game's current state, they really don't matter other than a few dialogue changes.

You also get the same ending no matter what you do and the inclusion of Legendary Godzilla despite the significance of two different distinct Godzillas existing in the same world, you could cut him from the story entirely and nothing would change. MV Goji doesn't even play a part in weakening Heisei for the military instead its all the Mazers and the Super-X that do it in a cut-scene altogether it makes him feel irrelevant and makes it so the player has no real agency in the game world

Though that could be a consequence of restrictions from Legendary in how to depict him and that Legendary only had one movie at the time, I still feel that more could have been done to help iron out some of the game's narrative flaws. Because despite the dialogue, the prime ministers and operator the story and path system is just so much weaker than Super-Godzilla what, or particularly Godzilla Unleashed which despite having a lot of jank and its own cut-corners had better varying storylines which is what the Godzilla and particularly every other path in the PS4 game lacks

Playing any path other than Godzllla makes the game feel ever more like a random assortment of levels with no real end goal in sight and makes all of them feel like robots
The narrative issues are the least of its problems, though. What about the clunky controls and mechanics? Or the 3-player online battles, meaning 2 players can (and inevitably do) just gang up on one player with no health to balance it out? At least if there was health to pick up, it would incentivize every man (or kaiju rather) for himself. Or even if there was a 4th player with no health, you'd see gangups kept to a minimum, which I don't understand why they didn't allow a 4th player since that's the norm (or even the minimum in many cases, COD for example) for multiplayer matches.
Last edited by KManX89 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

KManX89 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:31 amThe narrative issues are the least of its problems, though.
True, but the narrative issues are among the problems that could be fixed the most the rest of the issues are related to the direction they wanted to take the game and are almost entirely unavoidable in that regard.
KManX89 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:31 am

The narrative issues are the least of its problems, though. What about the clunky controls and mechanics? Or the 3-player online battles, meaning 2 players can (and inevitably do) just gang up on one player with no health to balance it out?
Indeed the tank controls have a slight novelty at the start but as you play the issues and complications just keep compounding each other, because of the control scheme and movement the game can feel unbearably clunky. I can only imagine how it must have been for someone who only played the Pipeworks trilogy and had no idea what they were about to get. As a fan I can see what they were trying to do and can enjoy it but as an actual game

The control scheme really hurts it. As for the third player system it may have been all they were able to do it, the stages in the game are extremely compact and having to deal with a fourth player on top of that probably made the PS4 chug too hard. But the MP system was definitely tacked on and the game never got the post launch support it needed to make the MP anywhere near healthy

If City shrouded in shadow came out before this game, I wonder if we might have continued to see Namco release Godzilla games

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Been a while, but the game has ballooned in price secondhand? Apparently discs of it go for 200$? I won't sell mine, and I suspect that this could be part of some bubble, but I thought it was funny.

I sort of want to give it a replay despite having problems with it. Funny how old this game is now too.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah, the license ran out and it’s been delisted from digital storefronts so disc copies go for triple figures now. Never selling mine either lol but I have seen the Japanese PS3 version sell at more reasonable prices.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I know this is gonna be controversial to say, but I say Bandai/Namco deserves a second chance.

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

I mean yeah they definitely do. Want to see them do one of these styled more like the Ultraman fighting games.