Godzilla Online (1998)

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Godzilla Online (1998)

Post by g2vd »

I was looking around on Giantbomb about a week ago or so and I found this.

Godzilla Online is a fast-paced action game that takes place soon after the events of the 1998 reboot film Godzilla. New York City has come under attack by newly hatched Baby Godzillas. Players can assume the role of a soldier with his sights set on eradicating the baby Godzillas. Scientists attempt to take blood samples of the baby Godzillas while defending themselves from the soldiers and the new baby godzilla threat. Baby Godzillas strive to evolve into a larger Godzilla while defending themselves against soldiers and scientist. The Reporters main goal is to film all the chaos between the three opposing groups and avoiding getting killed at all costs.

Godzilla Online is further noteworthy, as it is one of the few games (and fewer multiplayer games) to use voxels to render its characters and environments.
Does anyone have some info on this game? Ihaven't been able to find anymore about this game outside of Giantbomb's article.

http://www.giantbomb.com/godzilla-online/3030-23227/
Godzilla

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla Online (1998)

Post by G1985 »

g2vd wrote:I was looking around on Giantbomb about a week ago or so and I found this.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/sca ... dzilla.png
Godzilla Online is a fast-paced action game that takes place soon after the events of the 1998 reboot film Godzilla. New York City has come under attack by newly hatched Baby Godzillas. Players can assume the role of a soldier with his sights set on eradicating the baby Godzillas. Scientists attempt to take blood samples of the baby Godzillas while defending themselves from the soldiers and the new baby godzilla threat. Baby Godzillas strive to evolve into a larger Godzilla while defending themselves against soldiers and scientist. The Reporters main goal is to film all the chaos between the three opposing groups and avoiding getting killed at all costs.

Godzilla Online is further noteworthy, as it is one of the few games (and fewer multiplayer games) to use voxels to render its characters and environments.
Does anyone have some info on this game? Ihaven't been able to find anymore about this game outside of Giantbomb's article.

http://www.giantbomb.com/godzilla-online/3030-23227/
http://the-american-godzilla.wikia.com/ ... lla_Online has just about everything there is (left) to know about the game, since it is no longer online and therefore impossible to play. I attempted to play it at the time the movie came out, but I didn't have a PC capable of running it smoothly. EON Magazine produced a demo disk for a Taco Bell giveaway - it's worth acquiring IMO despite the now-dead demo, because of the other content on it - a working version of the 1998 film's website, and the 1998 movie trailers that were missing from the GINO DVD releases.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

I never got to play the game, but I do have one of those demo discs.
The game looks like a scrambled mess, but I still wouldn't mind if a working version was ever resurrected.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Starsteam wrote:I never got to play the game, but I do have one of those demo discs.
The game looks like a scrambled mess, but I still wouldn't mind if a working version was ever resurrected.
Have you tried... Way back machine?
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:
Starsteam wrote:I never got to play the game, but I do have one of those demo discs.
Have you tried... Way back machine?
If I'm not mistaken that only works for old websites, not closed games.

EDIT Here's some spicy images

Yeah, this looks bad.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Huh, seems like a pretty average game, finding out about it is quite interesting. And, just for the fun of it, i'd love to be a baby GINO

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

LOL, so the Baby Godzillas had a breath projectile? Or is that vomit?

ゴジマン
G-Force Personnel

Post by ゴジマン »

Starsteam wrote:LOL, so the Baby Godzillas had a breath projectile? Or is that vomit?
Maybe even a combination of both
Yes, Hatsune is my Waifu...
goji89 wrote:Shin Goji looks like he has a red apron on. Guess he's still cooking himself extra crispy. :lol: .

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

You know what I would actually love to play this game It’s a shame that it’s not available anymore

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I have the Taco Bell disc somewhere in my closet, not sure if I took good care of it. I’ll try and boot it up sometime.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:45 am I have the Taco Bell disc somewhere in my closet, not sure if I took good care of it. I’ll try and boot it up sometime.
If it works, try and preserve it "somewhere". Legit now looking over it this might be a game/artifact that is at risk of becoming lost media.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:37 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:45 am I have the Taco Bell disc somewhere in my closet, not sure if I took good care of it. I’ll try and boot it up sometime.
If it works, try and preserve it "somewhere". Legit now looking over it this might be a game/artifact that is at risk of becoming lost media.
If it doesn’t work I’ll buy another copy. I think I see a few on Twitter. Now you have me wanting to go on a deep dive for G’98 promo material.

Edit: lol I said Twitter. Meant eBay.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Wed May 18, 2022 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I had a friend who played it once at his house. Memory is scarce but from what I could remember we didn't like it very much. I was like 6 or 7 though, so we both might have been really bad at it for that reason.

Interesting piece of curio, but was probably the mess I remember it to be.
Last edited by Showa Gyaos on Mon May 30, 2022 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I remember this game being on the website in the late 90s. We tried to play it and the entire website crashed. So even at the time I don't remember it working.
I do believe there are screen shots of the website itself online (it was pretty bare-bones, for what it's worth; black background and green text). But not sure in regards to game photos and footage aside from what is posted here.

I kind of recall Ultraman Tiga having its own website as well, with an "Ultra Monsters" section complete with spinning kaiju gif. Similarly, the page crashed when we clicked the link, so I never figured out the names of any of my favorites until years later :lol:

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I think I found my copy! Lol finally! In a box filled with black metal albums!

I'll upload a pic to confirm its the right one in just a sec!

Edit:
Spoiler:
Is this the one? If so, what should I do with it?
Last edited by shadowgigan on Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:29 pm I think I found my copy! Lol finally! In a box filled with black metal albums!

Edit:
Spoiler:
Keep it safe, Let no harm get to it

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:46 am
shadowgigan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:29 pm I think I found my copy! Lol finally! In a box filled with black metal albums!

Edit:
Spoiler:
For some reason I thought there was a working version of the game on there lol, I was super hype lmao.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:59 am
Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:46 am

Edit:
Spoiler:
For some reason I thought there was a working version of the game on there lol, I was super hype lmao.
Yeah you can Definitely play it just be careful with it

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I don’t think you can play it even with the disc because the site is gone, if I understand correctly. Got all excited for nothing lol.

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

I think that disc has already been backed up by disc preservation groups, but as you said its likely useless other than as a personal memento so the game is still a sort of lost media as far as I'm aware.