Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Voyager »

Scheiße! He found us! Scramble, boys!
For Emperor and Empire!

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

I haven't seen 'Godzilla: Singular Point' yet, and don't plan to do so until the english dub is released.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Leviarex wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:03 am I haven't seen 'Godzilla: Singular Point' yet, and don't plan to do so until the english dub is released.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTwzYnN6-Ek
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I won't be watching until it hits Netflix. Not sure if I'll go dubbed or subbed; I guess it'll depend whether my younger brother and sister end up watching with me. Neither of them are big on subs.

Anyway, three days to go...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

My original plan was to wait for the official Western Netflix release, but as more time passes, the more I grow unsure if I actually want to see this.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:05 am I won't be watching until it hits Netflix. Not sure if I'll go dubbed or subbed; I guess it'll depend whether my younger brother and sister end up watching with me. Neither of them are big on subs.

Same… although with every day my interest shrinks.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Voyager wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:16 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:05 am I won't be watching until it hits Netflix. Not sure if I'll go dubbed or subbed; I guess it'll depend whether my younger brother and sister end up watching with me. Neither of them are big on subs.

Why? I haven't been keeping up with news or discussion because I want to avoid spoilers. Is it getting bad reviews or something?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:58 pm
Voyager wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:16 pm

Why? I haven't been keeping up with news or discussion because I want to avoid spoilers. Is it getting bad reviews or something?
I really don’t know… It has just faded towards the back in my mind.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

So what you want about the other films but I'd argue the first 3 Heisei Godzilla films and Destroyah tell a nice 4 film story that is on par or even slightly better than the Heisei Gamera trilogy. There are a few loose ends in Destroyah by losing the other 3 films but those 4 are great.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I haven't watched SP yet either, and can agree its just sort of been off my radar. That said, I am looking forward to checking it out when it arrives on Netflix this week. Modern anime REALLY isn't my bag, but I'll hopefully find at least some things to enjoy in it.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It's been kind of on the back burner for me, too. I'm excited, but not to the extent I'd be if this were a live action movie. I guess it's probably because the last anime Godzilla 'attempt' was so lame, and then GvK really didn't do much for me, either. SP looks set up to do some absurdly cool stuff, but I can't help but be cautious.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I literally cannot find the drive to watch Singular Point. I tried to today, but any ounce of motivation I had was squashed before I even started watching anything.
Last edited by Spuro on Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Whatever your opinion on the designs, the Monsterverse, Shin, and Singular Point have all proven the Emmerich defense of "we have to make it more realistic so it can't look like the traditional version!" is and always was a massive crock of shit.

RIP Evan.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

^^^ especially since Terrestris is alleged by some to be half based on the 98 design, and while being radically different still screams 'Godzilla.'
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

SoggyNoodles2016

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:09 am ^^^ especially since Terrestris is alleged by some to be half based on the 98 design, and while being radically different still screams 'Godzilla.'
Singular Point in general made me write this.

Three different kaiju redesigned heavily based on actual paleontology and ALL OF THEM still kept core traits and personality Emmerich threw out.

RIP Evan.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

It’s almost like Emmerich didn’t give a flying fuck and just had his head up his ass.

Zilla Junior from GTS still feels like Godzilla (that’s probably a spicy take, but this is the thread for those, ain’t it?) despite having almost the same exact design as G98, it’s just that unlike Emmerich and G98, GTS actually bothers putting in effort!
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

SoggyNoodles2016

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:30 am It’s almost like Emmerich didn’t give a flying skreeonk and just had his head up his ass.

Zilla Junior from GTS still feels like Godzilla (that’s probably a spicy take, but this is the thread for those, ain’t it?) despite having almost the same exact design as G98, it’s just that unlike Emmerich and G98, GTS actually bothers putting in effort!

To quote Destroy All Monsters,

I f u l l y a g r e e w i t h y o u

RIP Evan.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:18 am Three different kaiju redesigned heavily based on actual paleontology
Rodan, Anguirus, and who?

SoggyNoodles2016

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:19 am
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:18 am Three different kaiju redesigned heavily based on actual paleontology
Rodan, Anguirus, and who?
Godzilla himself,
Spoiler:
both Ultima and Terrestrias's more traditional theropod builds and legs, and Aquatalis being a fantastic stylized mosasaur

RIP Evan.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:18 am
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:09 am ^^^ especially since Terrestris is alleged by some to be half based on the 98 design, and while being radically different still screams 'Godzilla.'
Singular Point in general made me write this.

Three different kaiju redesigned heavily based on actual paleontology and ALL OF THEM still kept core traits and personality Emmerich threw out.
Rodan? No. There's nothing about the Singular Point version that resembles the character. What they did to Rodan is way more disrespectful than ANYTHING Emmerich did to Godzilla.

At least Emmerich had the courtesy to have Godzilla get killed by missiles, instead of machine-gun fire. At least Emmerich had the courtesy to actually make Godzilla big.

Singular Point Rodan is like if you made the entire 1998 movie about the raptor-sized Baby Godzillas and had them represent the titular character.

How are people okay with this? Seriously? I want to know.

It it because it's Japanese and they can get away with things that American adaptions can't? Is it because it's an anime and anime fans are downright fanatical about defending the shows the like? Is it because most of Singular Point's audience isn't old enough to remember 1998?

I am seriously at a loss for words.