Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

goji89 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:36 am
MaxRebo320 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:06 am I think the concept of Godzilla gradually changing forms as seen in Shin and
Spoiler:
Singular Point
was interesting, but I don't want to see it again.
Hell yeah. I think it's done and over with. I wouldn't want to see him changing forms either.
Yeah. I love both those stories but the concept went from "oh my god did they really just do that?" to "oh. They're doing the forms thing again."
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:35 pm Yeaaah i have to be honest, Godzilla being literally personality-less is getting pretty stale. It works for the incarnations it's been given to thus far, but part of why so many people love Godzilla is because he's NOT just a mindless monster who breaks stuff.

Toho's experimented with his powers and origins, surely his persona can't be that hard.
This sort of confused me about Toho making Godzilla personality-less, I mean yeah Godzilla is a force of nature, but it won’t hurt if he has some sort of personality, and I find it ironic, because they did the same thing in the Heisei were Burning Godzilla cry out in anger due to his son death

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:07 pm
Gigantis wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:35 pm Yeaaah i have to be honest, Godzilla being literally personality-less is getting pretty stale. It works for the incarnations it's been given to thus far, but part of why so many people love Godzilla is because he's NOT just a mindless monster who breaks stuff.

Toho's experimented with his powers and origins, surely his persona can't be that hard.
This sort of confused me about Toho making Godzilla personality-less, I mean yeah Godzilla is a force of nature, but it won’t hurt if he has some sort of personality, and I find it ironic, because they did the same thing in the Heisei were Burning Godzilla cry out in anger due to his son death
Even the first "force of destruction" 1954 Godzilla was great because they were not just a force of destruction but all the monsters' actions made perfect sense when onscreen. It should be noted Godzilla didn't start burning Tokyo until he learned structures could electrocute him or hide guns. He attacks a clocktower due to mistaking its ringing for a challenge of battle. He destroys the train after it runs into him, which from his perspective means it attacked him first.
Why Godzilla was burning ships goes unexplained, but that happened offscreen.
As writer William Cope noted, this was huge at the time. Monsters back then up to this point didn't normally behave like animals but living nightmares whose every action was what would bring the most danger to protagonists. Godzilla meanwhile, has their own priorities and is willing to simply roar at a crowd of humans that woke him up rather than chase them down.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:48 am
edgaguirus wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:07 pm I really like MV Scylla. Scylla has a good entrance, and the insect like design is interesting. I'd like to see more of Scylla, but I doubt we will.
Scylla was awesome indeed. I was disappointed GvK handwaved all those new monsters away.

If you go by Godzilla dominion, they are all in hibernation. You can easily bring them back in. The hole Godzilla blew could be used to wake them up or even have Godzilla is in hibernation and tells the titans to keep the balance.

Also wanted to comment on the evolution stages that's popular in Japan for Godzilla. I can see this happening in the Monsterverse. If Legendary and WB continue their policy of hiring Godzilla fanboys for their writers and directors, I could see the multiple stages weaved into a Godzilla BC movie showing a Godzilla life cycle from Hatchling to a fully grown Monsterverse Godzilla.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Godzilla shouldn't have evolution stages.

It's a dinosaur that got radiated and mutated into Godzilla.

I don't want nor need to see his "evolution".

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

goji89 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:26 am It's a dinosaur that got radiated and mutated into Godzilla.
Ignoring the fact that was literally just one continuity that has never been replicated again.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:28 am
goji89 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:26 am It's a dinosaur that got radiated and mutated into Godzilla.
Ignoring the fact that was literally just one continuity that has never been replicated again.
Spoiler:
Ancient living 50 meter creature gets scarred and irradiated by radiation

normal living dinosaur gets mutated into 80 meter behemoth

Ancient living 50 meter creature gets scarred and irradiated by radiation, again

Souls of WWII victims inhabit the carcass/recreate the visage of said irradiated 50 meter dinosaur

Ancient living 50 meter creature gets scarred and irradiated by radiation, again again

Ancient living 50 meter creature gets scarred and irradiated by radiation, again again again

Giant 100 meter alpha predator

prehistoric sea life consumes radioactive substances and becomes irreversibly mutated

Hyper evolved plant life presumably created by the Earth to act as a ginormous white blood cell

Multidimensional, scientifically impossible horror comes into existence by way of impossible material
Literally only once :lol:
Last edited by Jermobooka on Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:28 am
From 1954 to 1995 and 2000 makes a huuuuge difference to what your implying.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

goji89 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:37 am From 1954 to 1995 and 2000 makes a huuuuge difference to what your implying.
Not really... Showa Godzilla was his own, ancient creature who just looked saurian in nature, and the bomb's radiation only made him bigger. He wasn't a normal dinosaur like Heisei.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:53 am
goji89 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:37 am From 1954 to 1995 and 2000 makes a huuuuge difference to what your implying.
Not really... Showa Godzilla was his own, ancient creature who just looked saurian in nature, and the bomb's radiation only made him bigger. He wasn't a normal dinosaur like Heisei.
Meh, close enough.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

I dunno, I have to agree that I'd prefer Toho to do a traditional Godzilla who starts as Godzilla and ends as Godzilla. No Kamata-kuns, no Aquatilises or Terrestrises.
Also, bring back Minya soon! I love Minya.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:00 am I dunno, I have to agree that I'd prefer Toho to do a traditional Godzilla who starts as Godzilla and ends as Godzilla. No Kamata-kuns, no Aquatilises or Terrestrises.
Amphibias are fair game then? :)
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

^None of them either! :lol:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:00 am
As long as Minya doesn't speak.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:28 pm
Bring back mute Minya!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

goji89 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:29 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:28 pm
Bring back mute Minya!
Nah, nah, nah. Bring back vocal Minya.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Once the initial hype wore off, a few episodes in, I lost interest in Singular Point. I watched the whole season, mostly enjoyed it, but it ultimately didn't do much for me. The whole premise, with the Archetypes and Singular Points themselves, not to mention the techno-babble, didn't appeal to me, and most of the monsters ended up being forgettable, Godzilla included. I'll watch a second season, but I could take it or leave it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:50 pmThe whole premise... didn't appeal to me
I agree with your entire post except for this part. It interested me just enough to keep me watching, even when I'd all but lost interest in everything else. I didn't really mind the techno-babble either, although that made it much harder to follow at times.

On the whole, I didn't mind the series, but I didn't really like it. As with nearly all modern Godzilla media (sigh), it'll be a long time before I'll want to revisit it.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:57 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:50 pmThe whole premise... didn't appeal to me
I agree with your entire post except for this part. It interested me just enough to keep me watching, even when I'd all but lost interest in everything else. I didn't really mind the techno-babble either, although that made it much harder to follow at times.

On the whole, I didn't mind the series, but I didn't really like it. As with nearly all modern Godzilla media (sigh), it'll be a long time before I'll want to revisit it.

Your last sentence is exactly where I stand at this point. For me a huge deterrent is the technique. Now that Godzilla is solely a CGI character, has been since 2004 and probably never will be a practical effect ever again, my interest has waned almost completely. This is especially true of the Toho stuff. I think the reason they've done nothing but anime since Shin Godzilla is that their CGI doesn't really work in a live action film. I can't see Godzilla being a physically active, expressive character ever again (or at least for a long time) if they're not using suits anymore and don't have the budget or knowhow to use CGI the way it's handled in America. Plus what Godzilla seems to mean to the Japanese has changed DRAMATICALLY since Shin Godzilla. With every new Toho Godzilla project that comes out I care less and less.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

As someone who frankly cannot stand most modern anime, I pretty much knew from the get-go that Singular Point wouldn't be "for me", so I guess the fact I still found some to enjoy is a good thing. I found the characters pretty likable, and disagree about most of the monsters - I think the new takes on Jet Jaguar, Rodan, Angurius and not-Gabara were interesting and exhibited some personality. Godzilla's portrayal is another story, as others have pointed out. As for the storyline/technobabble...boy, did I feel stupid watching it, because I could barely follow it after a while (I felt like Kurt Russell in Big Trouble in Little China). I'm not sure how much of that is due to my lack of knowledge in quantum physics or my general lack of investment...probably a mixture of the two. Still, I guess I'll give props to Toho for willing to hire writers that craft complex, unorthodox storylines, whereas Hollywood's films strive to be little more than "big dumb monster flicks" (Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that. In fact, I do rather like this diversity of ideas when you consider Japan and Hollywood's takes still apart of the same franchise).

I didn't dislike it, and I'll probably give the season a rewatch before season 2 (if and when that happens), but as others have stated, it was ultimately a "in one ear, out the other" experience, as with most Godzilla properties these days. :|
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....