Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I really don't want to get into this but since you asked.

Rodan, since I first saw him in GVMG2, has always been the most naturalistic kaiju. He has a personality, he has his quirks, but at the end of the day, he's an animal and he's reacting like an animal. Defending his young and looking for food, he isn't doing a lot outside a big Pteranodon, which makes him unpredictable and a wild card of a kaiju.

Singular Point Rodan is a take on this. Wild and dangerous but with some personality, like his annoyance with things he doesn't understand.

Yes, he's small now, yes, the design is more like normal pterosaurs, and yes, he lives in flocks but basically, he is still a wild card who's attempts to live naturally are a threat to everyone on Earth.

Really, I could defend the design as long as I could but the real reason I think people defend these designs is its REALLY fucking annoying to have a design for a character in a well made show, a incredibly minor point BTW, treated like enjoying it makes you some kind of brain dead fanboy or a dick who's disrespecting characters you've loved for years because they changed something to do something new.

But whatever. Apples to apples or whatever.

RIP Evan.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:29 pm Really, I could defend the design as long as I could but the real reason I think people defend these designs is its REALLY skreeonking annoying to have a design for a character in a well made show, a incredibly minor point BTW, treated like enjoying it makes you some kind of brain dead fanboy or a dick who's disrespecting characters you've loved for years because they changed something to do something new.
I fully agree to this, why can’t people just respect other opinions, it ok to like something different as long you respect other too

MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Post by MinorBone Good »

Spuro wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:03 pmRodan? No. There's nothing about the Singular Point version that resembles the character. What they did to Rodan is way more disrespectful than ANYTHING Emmerich did to Godzilla.

At least Emmerich had the courtesy to have Godzilla get killed by missiles, instead of machine-gun fire. At least Emmerich had the courtesy to actually make Godzilla big.

Singular Point Rodan is like if you made the entire 1998 movie about the raptor-sized Baby Godzillas and had them represent the titular character.

How are people okay with this? Seriously? I want to know.

It it because it's Japanese and they can get away with things that American adaptions can't? Is it because it's an anime and anime fans are downright fanatical about defending the shows the like? Is it because most of Singular Point's audience isn't old enough to remember 1998?

I am seriously at a loss for words.
Maybe it's just me, but sometimes characters just go through radical changes for the purpose of the story. With how long these characters have existed, some iterations are going to be far different from the others. Bringing Rodan as some type of horde kaiju instead of a one large pteranodon-like kaiju.

The qualities are still there for me to make it like Rodan. They just went with a more Pteranodon look because they couldn't do that with suitmation.

Of course these Rodans are going to be killed easier due to their size. They're not the main antagonist of the story.

Could have they been replaced with Meganula instead? Sure, maybe. But I still like the version of Rodan we got. And it's not like they're trying to disrespect Rodan, as they even have the the classic Rodan in the ending credits of each episode. It's just a new version character.
Current Quatheral Population: 600!
Current Quatheral's Perfected: 283!
The Quatheral Wiki!: https://quatheral.fandom.com/wiki/Quatheral_Wiki
The Quatheral Voices!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRtkOo-Lhs

PM me if you wanna join my Discord to see the updates about Quatheral!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Spuro wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:03 pm How are people okay with this? Seriously? I want to know.
Because a.) People have different opinions than you. Shocking I know! Stop the presses!

But also because Rodan is a character who has more-or-less been the same for over sixty years. I have more than enough movies, comic books and other types of media that depict Rodan as he has been depicted since 1956. I like it, I enjoy it, but I also don't want the character to be a stagnant, unchanging monolith. I'm not the kind of person who enjoys more of the same, even if that same is good. Mixing things up every so often keeps franchises and characters fresh.

The idea of a swarm of Rodans being the "heralds" of Godzilla and patterned after tengu of Japanese folklore and mythology is an inspiring and unique take that fits with the general concept of the character. It's not the permanent revision of the character, just one of many incarnations. I'm okay with it because I'm not worried about it becoming the "new" Rodan since I know that it's specifically for Singular Point. And I'm also okay with it because it resulted in something good.

The differences between Singular Point and G98 are matters of circumstance. Singular Point is a televised anime coming hot off the heels of multiple film adaptations from both sides of the Pacific, both traditional (MonsterVerse films) and non-traditional (Shin and the Anime trilogy). G98 was a tentpole film for both Toho and TriStar, the first ever American-made cinematic interpretation of the character following the planned conclusion of the traditional Japanese Godzilla series. With SP's circumstances, you have your run of the gamut as far as other Godzilla-related media goes. With G98, it was pretty much all you had. The non-traditional nature coupled with its hellish development schedule and the dismissive nature the directors had towards the franchise are far, far worse than SP's alternative approach. SP is simply an optional side dish on a veritable buffet of Godzilla content of all sorts. G98 was the sole dish on a single page of the menu. The two are hardly comparable.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Agreed with UG, and I would also add that since 2001, Toho has been notoriously unwilling to use kaiju outside of the Big Four. Seeing Rodan in any form in Japanese media is highly welcome at this point, as an alternative to the thirtieth appearance of Mothra or Ghidorah. They're making an effort to branch out and use their roster now, and that needs to be celebrated and encouraged, not nitpicked at.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I feel like utter crap for loving the Monsterverse and being my favorite Godzilla Era. I mean yeah they’re aren’t best Godzilla movies but I think they have the Best action scenes in the Godzilla franchise.
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:45 pm Agreed with UG, and I would also add that since 2001, Toho has been notoriously unwilling to use kaiju outside of the Big Four. Seeing Rodan in any form in Japanese media is highly welcome at this point, as an alternative to the thirtieth appearance of Mothra or Ghidorah. They're making an effort to branch out and use their roster now, and that needs to be celebrated and encouraged, not nitpicked at.
Toho's willingness to experiment should also be encouraged. Shin Godzilla is a good example of how a classic character can be tried out in a new way, and now Rodan, Anguirus, and JJ are getting their turn. Tradition is nice, but a stagnant character is not. It can lead to their demise.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

edgaguirus wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:48 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:45 pm Agreed with UG, and I would also add that since 2001, Toho has been notoriously unwilling to use kaiju outside of the Big Four. Seeing Rodan in any form in Japanese media is highly welcome at this point, as an alternative to the thirtieth appearance of Mothra or Ghidorah. They're making an effort to branch out and use their roster now, and that needs to be celebrated and encouraged, not nitpicked at.
Toho's willingness to experiment should also be encouraged. Shin Godzilla is a good example of how a classic character can be tried out in a new way, and now Rodan, Anguirus, and JJ are getting their turn. Tradition is nice, but a stagnant character is not. It can lead to their demise.
Eh, I somewhat disagree with this. It's hard to have a stagnant character when one of those hasn't been seen since a cameo role in 2004, and the other hasn't been seen period since his only film in 1973. Shin Godzilla came out at a time when there's a whole other ongoing series with a traditional Godzilla out there, in the form of the Monsterverse. I just don't think they're comparable.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I don't think Kumonga has to be literally a spider or Kamacuras a literal mantis, they just have to look enough like them that somone without a biology degree wouldn't know the difference.
There are probably quite a few prehistoric arachnids that might be "close enough" for Kumonga, and they already are weird in they have a stinger concealed in their mouth. And Kamacuras as a mantisfly could be interesting as they lay their eggs in the egg sacs of spiders to act as brood parasites.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Spuro wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:01 am Eh, I somewhat disagree with this. It's hard to have a stagnant character when one of those hasn't been seen since a cameo role in 2004, and the other hasn't been seen period since his only film in 1973. Shin Godzilla came out at a time when there's a whole other ongoing series with a traditional Godzilla out there, in the form of the Monsterverse. I just don't think they're comparable.
You forget about media outside of the movies. Using JJ as the example, between video games, comic books, and even merchandise, it's always been the one incarnation everyone's familiar with. The more recent comics actually had a little fun stepping outside the boundaries for his character, but otherwise his personality and design were hardly played around with in an interesting way.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Ebirah is underrated in their story potential and I'd like to see them redesigned for more horror. A lot of crustraceans have hair for trapping food particles: what if in place of that Ebirah had smaller claw limbs where hair would be? Imagined drowned bodies stuck to Ebirah's body and being eaten at their leisure as the camera pans over Ebirah swimming in the depths...

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

^
That would be pretty cool, actually.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That kind of visual would make Ebirah a real horror of the deep. It sounds like something a Shin Godzilla film might do.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Throw in a little mantis shrimp and I'm sold
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

That is way too grimdark for ebirah, lol.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I wish the Godzilla series had more smaller-scale movies like Horror of the Deep and Son of Godzilla. Not every movie needs to have the fate of the world hanging in the balance.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

More Godzilla vs Military films please.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Voyager wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:19 pm More Godzilla vs Military films please.
You have over 3 and you want more?

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I'm just glad I was watching Toku Monstrosities before Toho went all suits on their behind for their making of Shin Godzilla videos. Shame they never finished them, it was some of the best kaiju content on youtube at the time. At least now they are kind of re-visiting the mindset with their singular point videos.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I don't like monsters being portrayed as "intelligent" by somehow just knowing things as if omniscient. Say what you will about Marc Cerasini children's novels: they at least did a good job at avoiding that. Godzilla goes whole books without realizing jet planes and humanity are connected: he mistakes machines as living things. It also takes him a whole book to realize that the psychic voice in his head is one of the tiny insects/ humans below him.