Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Thatguy4683 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:56 pm
And a general fan confession.
Voyager wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:29 pm
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:27 pm This is nothing related to Kaiju stuff but more on a side of the AvP Franchise, here’s my confession

I used to think Aliens: Colonial marines was better than Alien: Isolation
There is a general unpopular opinion thread in General Discussion.
Thank you for notice my mistake, so I fix that
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:27 pm This is nothing related to Kaiju stuff but more on a side of the AvP Franchise, here’s my confession

I used to think Aliens: Colonial marines was better than Alien: Isolation
:shock:

I thought this was in the unpopular opinions thread.
For Emperor and Empire!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Voyager wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:41 pm

:shock:

I thought this was in the unpopular opinions thread.
Oh you're fine, I just mentioned because no one uses it lol
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:39 pm I would totally be on board for seeing an evolving incarnation of King Ghidorah.

Like, his first form resembles a Japanese dragon, his second form looks like a wingless medieval dragon, the third is a golden wyvern with two heads, and his final form is the classic King Ghidorah we all know and love.

Added in 31 seconds:
And even before he becomes classic King Ghidorah, he goes around massacring other Kaiju.
If Ghidorah has to return any time soon, this would be a great way to at least do something different with him.

An evolving Mothra might work well, too. It would be a way to make her a powerful transforming hero again like in the Rebirth trilogy without resorting to over-the-top magic like those films did.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

So basically Digi evolution.

I don't get this whole evolution thing with the Kaiju.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

goji89 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:28 pm So basically Digi evolution.

Erm, AckShuAlLy, it’s spelt “Digivolution”

*pushed glasses up in superiority*
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:43 pm

I know one is not supposed to hit a guy with glasses but...... I'm about to break that rule.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:43 pm

How dare you!?

I somehow predicted it in the other thread! Therefore, I am a genius who deserves the highest of accolades! Ok, let’s see who’s next on Jermo’s hit list!

*Takes out a magnifying glass from thin air*

Hmm… yes. JAGZilla?
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Hm? *looks up from book, notices everyone staring* Oh, you thought he was talking about me. No, you have the wrong guy. I'm JAGzilla, remember? I have no idea who this JAGZilla person is, but someone needs to give him a heads up.

Confession so we can stay on topic: the Kamacuras are underrated, underutilized antagonists that really deserve to get another movie appearance.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

I can't help but feel that the S.H. Monsterarts figures that come with the plastic projectile attacks look better displayed without them.
Last edited by Leviarex on Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:47 pm Hm? *looks up from book, notices everyone staring* Oh, you thought he was talking about me. No, you have the wrong guy. I'm JAGzilla, remember? I have no idea who this JAGZilla person is, but someone needs to give him a heads up.

Confession so we can stay on topic: the Kamacuras are underrated, underutilized antagonists that really deserve to get another movie appearance.
A swarm of them would be a real threat to human and kaiju. Kaneko thought it was a good idea.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

I've come to really like the split jaw on Shin Godzilla. I honestly wouldn't mind if another Godzilla somewhere down the line has it.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

For the longest time when I was young I thought Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II was the actual direct sequel to Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla as opposed to Terror of Mechagodzilla. I was so confused when I learned the actual truth.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I used to think that Godzilla: Final Wars was the sequel to Godzilla Mothra MechaGodzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. for the longest time.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I thought the Godzilla series was one singular series of films as a kid. The concept of multiple continues wasn’t something that occurred to me.

Yes, this includes the 1998 film, by the way.
Last edited by Spuro on Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Against all logic, sense, and reason...

I like Gunhed.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

NSZ wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:44 pm Against all logic, sense, and reason...

I like Gunhed.
I also like Gunhed. It’s not a good movie, but there’s enough fun to be had with it.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm probably in the minority, but here goes...

I HATE the terms "Showa Era" and "Heisei Era", specifically the inclusion of the "era" part. "Heisei series" makes a hell of a lot more sense, or just call the second series the "VS series". Calling them "eras", to me at least, shows a gross misunderstanding of those actual eras of Japanese imperialism, and even disregarding that it leads to people NEEDING to give an "era" designation to every period of Japanese tokusatsu. I'm just burned out on those terms across the board.

Okay, rant over.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It's just more confusing than it already is. The "Heisei Series" consists of the seven Godzilla films spanning 1984 to 1995; the "Heisei Era" consists of the sixteen Godzilla films spanning 1989 to 2018. There's a huge difference and the distinction is sometimes important.

And then there's the "Reiwa Godzilla Series" in which none of the films were made or released during the Reiwa era. And it's not really a series, either.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I call the individual series "Showa", "Heisei" (although I've been trying to talk myself into sticking with "VS series" from now on), "Millennium", and nothing for any of the Reiwa period films because it's a whole different philosophy with those entries.

That said, I think it's very clear that there are certain "eras" to the kaiju genre that can be categorically defined:

- "Showa" Era: 1954-1980, starts with G54 (birth of the Genre) ends with Ultraman 80, the last Ultraman show before the two American produced shows and the "style reboot" with Tiga.
- "Heisei" Era: 1984 - 1998/1998, beginning with ROG, ending either with the Gamera 3 (if you want to fudge the years a bit) or G98.
- "Millennium" Era: 1999-2006, starting with G2K, ending with Gamera: The Brave, the last big name kaiju film from a major Japanese studio until possibly Shin Godzilla ten years later.
- "Wilderness" Era: 2007-2012, Nothing really noteworthy to begin with as nothing really came out around this time. It ends in 2012 as Pacific Rim debuts the next year, kick-starting...
- "Resurgence/Renaissance" Era: 2013-ongoing, starting with Pacific Rim and really kicked off with Legendary's 2014 Godzilla reboot.

YMMV on name choices but these are generally what I use in discussion. They don't really conform to any actual time periods, just aesthetics and general filmmaking techniques for each span of time.