Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Voyager »

Seeing the Showa and Heisei KGs cause terror and destroy in scenes that dwell on it is cool. Unlike a certain three-headed Smaug knockoff.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:53 pm Seeing the Showa and Heisei KGs cause terror and destroy in scenes that dwell on it is cool. Unlike a certain three-headed Smaug knockoff.

Yeah, I felt the terror when the former took an hour to blow up a building, and the latter trip over its own feet when someone wasn't telling it what to do.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:40 pm
Voyager wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:53 pm Seeing the Showa and Heisei KGs cause terror and destroy in scenes that dwell on it is cool. Unlike a certain three-headed Smaug knockoff.

Yeah, I felt the terror when the former took an hour to blow up a building, and the latter trip over its own feet when someone wasn't telling it what to do.
yeah, and I felt terror when MV constantly fled Godzilla :lol:

A Ghidorah truly scared of Godzilla haha.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:59 pm
godjacob wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:40 pm

yeah, and I felt terror when MV constantly fled Godzilla :lol:

A Ghidorah truly scared of Godzilla haha.
You, the biggest fan of Showa Ghidorah, is throwing the "coward" card on another version.

Perhaps you should rewatch Invasion of the Astro Monster and Godzilla vs. Gigan again ;)

Hell Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster as well. Showa Ghidorah had a nack for running with his tail between his legs didn't he~?
Last edited by godjacob on Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:41 pm Showa and Heisei Ghidorah hitting some buildings with their electric beams while causing some slight dusting does not equate to MV Ghidorah literally flooding Washington with catastrophic floods, lightning storms beyond comprehension taking up the entire sky, and more than twenty tornados going on at once. Let alone where ever he goes he brings a Cat 9 hurricane with him.
Yeah I think why people see MV KG as a wuss or not a threat is because there were so few of these scenes, but in the movie's universe he turned the entire planet on its head with a kaiju onslaught.

The Washington scene should've absolutely been extended. That one shot is so deliciously apocalyptic, but like most shots in KOTM, don't last long enough to really make an impact for the viewer. I literally forget Ghidorah leveled Washington on his own with Rodan because there is literally one single shot of it.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:45 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:41 pm Showa and Heisei Ghidorah hitting some buildings with their electric beams while causing some slight dusting does not equate to MV Ghidorah literally flooding Washington with catastrophic floods, lightning storms beyond comprehension taking up the entire sky, and more than twenty tornados going on at once. Let alone where ever he goes he brings a Cat 9 hurricane with him.
Yeah I think why people see MV KG as a wuss or not a threat is because there were so few of these scenes, but in the movie's universe he turned the entire planet on its head with a kaiju onslaught.

The Washington scene should've absolutely been extended. That one shot is so deliciously apocalyptic, but like most shots in KOTM, don't last long enough to really make an impact for the viewer. I literally forget Ghidorah leveled Washington on his own with Rodan because there is literally one single shot of it.
I find this is a common weakness of all the Monsterverse films. The destruction scenes, no matter the movie, are never dwelled upon.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:22 pm Showa Ghidorah had a nack for running with his tail between his legs didn't he~?
Because he actually fights and loses, unlike MV Ghidorah, who flew off Antarctica for no reason other than cowardice.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:14 am
godjacob wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:22 pm Showa Ghidorah had a nack for running with his tail between his legs didn't he~?
Because he actually fights and loses, unlike MV Ghidorah, who flew off Antarctica for no reason other than cowardice.
Or annoyance. It was winning that fight till the Monarch super jets began to blast it to save Godzilla from getting put on its back a third time. Where as Showa Ghidorah flees in fear the moment it is mildly inconvenienced across all his films.
Spoiler:
MV Ghidorah showed more of a spine in GVK, and it was a goddamn ghost than Showa KG ever did.
Last edited by godjacob on Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

godjacob wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:36 am
Or annoyance. It was winning that fight till the Monarch super jets began to blast it to save Godzilla from getting put on its back a third time. Where as Showa Ghidorah flees in fear the moment it is mildly inconvenienced across all his films.
Spoiler:
MV Ghidorah showed more of a spine in GVK, and it was a goddamn ghost than Showa KG ever did.
Your first point I agree with. I got the sense that Ghidorah only left Antarctica because he had better things to do than squabble with Godzilla.

The spoiler'd part, no. Anyone can be a bold go-getter when they're holding all the cards but also have literally nothing left to lose.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

As the Reiwa era has had a handful of releases so far (I'm counting SP and the trilogy despite them being animated and one being a tv show), I feel I can judge now how Toho handles Godzilla movies now and will continue to handle them.

So far I have overall enjoyed the Reiwa era. Shin Godzilla to me was and still is almost perfect. The anime trilogy in total was a huge missed opportunity, but I feel it did a few things right in terms of visuals and overall style. Singular Point was quite hard to follow but what it had in its perfect soundtrack and pretty fun animation style I thought was really cool.

I really like how the Reiwa era has been attempting to experiment, and seems to continue to do so despite not all of the experiments paying off.

One of the things I like about this era so far is Godzilla himself. I've been very happy with all of the designs so far, since I've always been a champion of unconventional and strange interpretations or looks for Godzilla. I like the different ways the atomic breath has been utilized, with Shins different beams and forms of its, and Godzilla Earth's almost railgun like breath (though I wish it came out of his mouth area and not his nose), and SP Goji's ringed beam.

Setting aside the lackluster plot and characters of the anime trilogy, the actual style of it is something I really loved. The look of all the hyper futuristic tech and machinery was so cool to me, along with the very greyed out and apocalyptic empty Earth. Godzilla Earth's scale was fairly well done, though I think putting him next to more recognizably large objects would've sold his sheer size better. The action while sparse was fun to watch. I've always loved scenes where the humans have to take down the kaiju in thought out and systematic plans, like the Yashiori Strategy in Shin Godzilla.

Soundtracks are very important to me with media, and each and every one of the Reiwa entries have had STELLAR soundtracks. I personally don't mind the re-use of tracks in Shin Godzilla (plus decisive battle is awesome cuz Evangelion is awesome). Shiro Sagisu is one of my favorite composers of all time and I try to listen to everything that man puts out. Hattori's anime trilogy soundtrack is great through and through, and is great atmospheric music to put on while working or writing. It's easily his best work on any Godzilla media, though I actually like his soundtracks for Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla and Godzilla 2000. Sawada's SP soundtrack is on a whole separate level with capturing the feel of classic Toho Kaiju goodness, and I had never heard of him before SP's trailer came out.

Just a little ramble of what I've liked so far in the new era. I'm in a good mood today.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:20 am

Your first point I agree with. I got the sense that Ghidorah only left Antarctica because he had better things to do than squabble with Godzilla.

Eh... to be honest, I blame MV Ghidorah fleeing the Antarctica on poor writing more than for any character-driven reason. It felt like a very Deus Ex Machina resolution to the fight.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Spuro wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:37 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:20 am

Eh... to be honest, I blame MV Ghidorah fleeing the Antarctica on poor writing more than for any character-driven reason. It felt like a very Deus Ex Machina resolution to the fight.
I personally headcanon it as Ghidorah having just woken up from being frozen so long and on top of fighting its rival the humans and their super jets would be annoying distractions to deal with, so it changed scenery to build up a storm and get acclimated as it were

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:12 am I really like how the Reiwa era has been attempting to experiment, and seems to continue to do so despite not all of the experiments paying off.

One of the things I like about this era so far is Godzilla himself. I've been very happy with all of the designs so far, since I've always been a champion of unconventional and strange interpretations or looks for Godzilla. I like the different ways the atomic breath has been utilized, with Shins different beams and forms of its, and Godzilla Earth's almost railgun like breath (though I wish it came out of his mouth area and not his nose), and SP Goji's ringed beam.
Agreed! I like comfortable, nostalgic familiarity as much as anyone, but even if they aren't my cup of tea in some ways, the Reiwa entries have been fresh and exciting in that you don't know what to expect, anymore. Godzilla pulls out some dramatic new power or attribute in every movie, and all kinds of things can potentially happen.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

And it's fun to see the amount of imagination that film makers show. Shin did a great job in that.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I will forever agree with Voyager on this, even on my skreeonking deathbed.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Legendary Ghidorah's a "coward" but he did more in 132 minutes then literally any other evil Ghidorah.

RIP Evan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:01 pm Legendary Ghidorah's a "coward" but he did more in 132 minutes then literally any other evil Ghidorah.
Well, he's bigger with more exaggerated powers. Neither of those traits reflects courage.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:01 pm Legendary Ghidorah's a "coward" but he did more in 132 minutes then literally any other evil Ghidorah.
Easy for him to say when he has a hurricane and an army of minions doing all the work for him. :lol:

I for one prefer my kaiju destruction scenes to be a little more direct.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Legendary Ghidorah might just be smarter than most Ghidorahs. He knows he can do more damage more quickly with an army at his call.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

He retreated all fights. Attempted to retreat the last one but was not able to. This Ghidorah can EAT damage, but that's really it. He needed to power-up beyond his base form to really start damaging Godzilla enough to slow him down (he visibly damages Godzilla in the arctic but to Godzilla that's equivalent to a paper cut. The beatdown that Keizer, Heisei, and Showa at times gives to Godzilla makes this Legendary Ghidorah look like a pushover, which is my biggest problem with him so far. He only really has like two moves throughout the movie that DON'T get shrugged off by Godzilla, these being after he has powered up (winged lightning and taking G to the skies). Before that he gets slapped around nonstop, and while he does hit Godzilla like in the arctic or in Boston, those are moves like I said that get shrugged off by Godzilla.

When you compare that to how Keizer demolished Godzilla, or how Showa Ghidorah has Godzilla AND Rodan both on the ropes + Godzilla on the ropes in GTTHM, it's surprising to hear such a sentiment. But hey it's a discussion! Love hearing other point of views to challenge our owns!
Last edited by KingKong2005 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image