Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Voyager »

I’ve eased up when it comes to cheesiness of Godzilla films. I can admit they’re not good films and still enjoy them.

I really only think there’s a small selection of actually ‘good’ or ‘great’ Toho monster flicks. From what I’ve seen, they’re;

- Godzilla
- Rodan
- Mothra
- Mothra vs Godzilla
- Terror of Mechagodzilla
- GMK
- Shin Godzilla
For Emperor and Empire!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Voyager wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:31 am I’ve eased up when it comes to cheesiness of Godzilla films. I can admit they’re not good films and still enjoy them.

I really only think there’s a small selection of actually ‘good’ or ‘great’ Toho monster flicks. From what I’ve seen, they’re;

- Godzilla
- Rodan
- Mothra
- Mothra vs Godzilla
- GMK
- Shin Godzilla
No ROG or Biollante?

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Voyager wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:31 am I’ve eased up when it comes to cheesiness of Godzilla films. I can admit they’re not good films and still enjoy them.

- Godzilla
- Rodan
- Mothra
- Mothra vs Godzilla
- GMK
- Shin Godzilla
I've also eased up a lot on the "cheesiness" recently. I mostly agree with this list, but I'd throw Ghidorah, WotG and Hedorah in there, too. Maybe Biollante.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’d considered WoTG, FvB and Biollante but I feel they’re just ‘Okay’ films. Top of the Okay Tier, along with maybe Ghidorah, MZ and GxMG, but not good enough to crack that barrier to Good and Great.

As kaiju films though, they’re all great.
For Emperor and Empire!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Voyager wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:47 am I’d considered WoTG, FvB and Biollante but I feel they’re just ‘Okay’ films.
Maybe this belongs in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread but I actually think WotG is a better film than Mothra. Both films certainly have their flaws but I find Mothra's to be more detrimental overall.

And I'd put Ghidorah in there over either of them.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:33 am

- Godzilla
- Rodan
- Mothra
- Mothra vs Godzilla
- GMK
- Shin Godzilla
No ROG or Biollante?
Or Monster Zero or Frankenstein vs Baragon?

Or King Kong vs Godzilla, Son of Godzilla or Godzilla vs Hedorah?

No G2K or GxMG?

:(

I'll be honest, I think some fans are too cynical towards this series sometimes.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I’m just not understanding how one could consider a film like GMK to be a whole tier above films like ROG or GvB. But I respect your opinion.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:03 pm
Voyager wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:47 am I’d considered WoTG, FvB and Biollante but I feel they’re just ‘Okay’ films.
Maybe this belongs in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread but I actually think WotG is a better film than Mothra. Both films certainly have their flaws but I find Mothra's to be more detrimental overall.

And I'd put Ghidorah in there over either of them.
Both show kaiju in a different way than usual. That's one reason I like WoTG.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I like some fan creations some people call "cringe" on a kneejerk, like fan comics or gijinka. It's just people being creative and enjoying themselves. Sometimes the art design is genuinely quite good and fun to look at. Some of it is poorly made but labeling at all that I think is just being a humorless spoil sport.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I won't lie, the Final Wars design for King Caesar is growing on me. I used to absolutely HATE it, but I like the red-brick like texture they gave him and the longer ears are also a plus. I just wish they didn't give him pupils and removed those weird golden things on his chest. (They look like breast plates)

While I'm here, I might as well say I prefer the Millennium versions of Ebirah and Kamacuras over their Showa counterparts, and I like the 63 and 2004 versions of Manda equally; cause I think they both succeeded at what they were trying to achieve with Atragon's Manda looking divine and Final Wars Manda looking more primitive.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:05 pm I won't lie, the Final Wars design for King Caesar is growing on me. I used to absolutely HATE it, but I like the red-brick like texture they gave him and the longer ears are also a plus. I just wish they didn't give him pupils and removed those weird golden things on his chest. (They look like breast plates)

While I'm here, I might as well say I prefer the Millennium versions of Ebirah and Kamacuras over their Showa counterparts, and I like the 63 and 2004 versions of Manda equally; cause I think they both succeeded at what they were trying to achieve with Atragon's Manda looking divine and Final Wars Manda looking more primitive.
I absolutely agree on Kamacuras and Ebirah, and I guess for Manda. Not so much with King Caesar.

Alright, I have to admit. When I first got into the kaiju community, I absolutely hated both Biollante and GMK Godzilla’s designs. I absolutely despised them.
For Emperor and Empire!

CamtheGodzillafan
E.S.P.Spy

Post by CamtheGodzillafan »

When I first saw Showa Gigan, I hated it, now I love it more then FW Gigan's design

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Gigantis wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:05 pm I like the 63 and 2004 versions of Manda equally; cause I think they both succeeded at what they were trying to achieve with Atragon's Manda looking divine and Final Wars Manda looking more primitive.
Going off of this, I actually prefer '68 Manda over the others. Maybe it's because I grew up with DAM or maybe it's because I just like the more "snake-y" look than the "oriental dragon" look.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'm the opposite. The DAM design is good, but the GFW Manda had an elegant design that seemed more intimidating.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I just really like Manda, man. All the designs slap, SP included.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

My boy Rodan is like the plasma pistol in Halo - been nerfed to hell :cry: :Rodan56:

But really, it did get a little painful seeing Rodan continuously torn apart in Singular Point. He works for the narrative, but mannnnnn I swear one of the animators was out for blood :lol: For instance, that part where Jet Jaguar slices a Rodan in half down the middle....ouch.

Toho, where's my Rodan short film? It could be the deteriorated Final Wars suit scaring some kids or something, just let him win.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

I'm also disappointed by the Rodan nerf. If Toho ever revives Rodan for a Godzilla movie, I hope he gives Goji a run for his money like he did back in the good old days. When I rewatched Ghidorah, I was astonished by the fact that not only did Rodan hold his own against Godzilla, he actually dominated him for most of the fight. A far cry from glass cannon Heisei Rodan, pathetic ass GFW Rodan, sycophantic MV Rodan and "we canonized one of those awful 'realistic' kaiju drawings" SP Rodan.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

The fact Kong's head was so much bigger than Godzilla's drove me crazy when watching GvsK.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:58 am The fact Kong's head was so much bigger than Godzilla's drove me crazy when watching GvsK.
Same honestly. As much as I love the Monsterverse, there have been some inconsistencies with sizing. In KotM, Godzilla's head looked larger proportionally. And also the part where Ghidorah fights Rodan looks wonky as hell because Ghidorah looks so small there
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'd like to see an aquatic Warbat in the MV as a reference to Manda.