Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by DirektorSplennic »

^ I can see where you're coming from, but personally I don't compare Godzilla and Ghidorah's fight to other versions from other movies. I guess its from my hatred of powerscaling in the Godzilla fandom, but I take the fights as they are in their respective movies, without comparing it to something as ridiculously over the top and action anime-esqeu as Final Wars. The physics, interaction between the monsters and their environment, and overall tone of the movie is so different.

I see it like Ghidorah had a greater goal in terraforming the planet, but needed another location to perform the Alpha call, so he didn't feel like he needed to waste anymore time in the Antarctic. The Monsterverse attempts (up until GVK, and even then) more realism in how these fights play out, treating the monsters like animals with animalistic tendencies. Ghidorah retreating makes sense to me, because killing Godzilla there wasn't his big goal.

Logan268
Gotengo Officer

Post by Logan268 »

I think Red King is THE greatest kaiju of all time, move over Toho Big 5 and Gamera.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:09 am I see it like Ghidorah had a greater goal in terraforming the planet, but needed another location to perform the Alpha call, so he didn't feel like he needed to waste anymore time in the Antarctic…. Ghidorah retreating makes sense to me, because killing Godzilla there wasn't his big goal.
Hm… the thing is, he only attempted the Alpha call AFTER Godzilla was presumed dead. AFTER the old alpha was properly usurped. Nothing in the movie indicates to me that the Alpha call would have worked before, otherwise Ghidorah could have and would have done the call as soon as he was clear of Godzilla and hit the South American border.

The sad truth of the matter is that Ghidorah didn’t leave the Antarctica fight because he had better things to do, because the movie indicates that defeating the previous alpha was seemingly necessary to gain control of the monsters. The real explanation is that it was a glaring plot hole and Ghidorah should have really just defeated Godzilla in combat instead of the movie pulling an oxygen destroyer out of its ass, but if you want an in-universe explanation you’re only left with the option that Ghidorah fled the battle when the military showed up.

Which doesn’t speak well in his favor. Showa Ghidorah may have retreated from lots of fights, but he never fled the human military.
Last edited by Spuro on Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Spuro wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:08 pm

Which doesn’t speak well in his favor. Showa Ghidorah may have retreated from lots of fights, but he never fled the human military.
Facts brother, so true my friend.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Didn't the volcano do something to power Ghidorah up? Not sure if I'm remembering that correctly. If so, we could say that he just didn't want to press the fight against Godzilla until he was at full strength. Either way, it's worth pointing out that he'd just woken up after thousands of years frozen solid. Are you going to come out of that and instantly be ready to fucking fight an Army Ranger to the death? Or would you want to take a few minutes and drink some coffee first?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:09 am I see it like Ghidorah had a greater goal in terraforming the planet, but needed another location to perform the Alpha call, so he didn't feel like he needed to waste anymore time in the Antarctic…. Ghidorah retreating makes sense to me, because killing Godzilla there wasn't his big goal.
Hm… the thing is, he only attempted the Alpha call AFTER Godzilla was presumed dead. AFTER the old alpha was properly usurped. Nothing in the movie indicates to me that the Alpha call would have worked before, otherwise Ghidorah could have and would have done the call as soon as he was clear of Godzilla and hit the South American border.

The sad truth of the matter is that Ghidorah didn’t leave the Antarctica fight because he had better things to do, because the movie indicates that defeating the previous alpha was seemingly necessary to gain control of the monsters. The real explanation is that it was a glaring plot hole and Ghidorah should have really just defeated Godzilla in combat instead of the movie pulling an oxygen destroyer out of its ass, but if you want an in-universe explanation you’re only left with the option that Ghidorah fled the battle when the military showed up.

I'm gonna be honest, I forgot that second water fight happened when I typed that. I still don't see him as much of a coward, it really didn't strike me as the military "scared" him off, but to each their own.

Plus, I assumed Godzilla only got his King title at the end of the movie. If all these monsters at the beginning of the movie were awake, I don't think they would've bowed to him.
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Gonna be honest I really don't get the whole "King Ghidorah is a coward" meme that gets shilled around here a lot. Especially the Showa version. Showa Ghidorah only fled whenever the tables were seriously turned on him.

-In his debut he only retreated after Mothra doused him in enough silk to not only immobilize all three of his heads, but blind him too. Retreating at that point is something anybody with common sense would do.

-In Astro-Monster he was attacked almost immediately after clearly being stunned from the whole connection with Xiliens being severed thing. And even then Godzilla and Rodan more or less had to kamikaze him to make any serious headway against him.

-In Gigan his team work with said cyborg was disrupted, Godzilla and Anguirus were finally able to use superior cooperation with each other when Gigan was too busy trying to save his own ass.
Resized Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Despite preferring the G3 design I'd still say Gamera's G2 design is the ideal "default" Gamera design. GotU design is a bit too goofy and the G3 design is too edgy. The G2 design is the perfect middle ground.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:01 am Gonna be honest I really don't get the whole "King Ghidorah is a coward" meme that gets shilled around here a lot. Especially the Showa version. Showa Ghidorah only fled whenever the tables were seriously turned on him.

-In his debut he only retreated after Mothra doused him in enough silk to not only immobilize all three of his heads, but blind him too. Retreating at that point is something anybody with common sense would do.

-In Astro-Monster he was attacked almost immediately after clearly being stunned from the whole connection with Xiliens being severed thing. And even then Godzilla and Rodan more or less had to kamikaze him to make any serious headway against him.

-In Gigan his team work with said cyborg was disrupted, Godzilla and Anguirus were finally able to use superior cooperation with each other when Gigan was too busy trying to save his own ass.
A fair assessment. I guess the only issue is that (outside of GTTHM) he retreated before any real damage had been done to him. Other kaiju had to get beaten far worse before they finally threw in the towel. Ebirah fought until his claws had been ripped off, Anguirus had to have his jaw broken, Megalon just generally had to soak up a shitload of abuse, etc. And others, like Mothra, Mechagodzilla, Kumonga, or The Giant Condor, fought to the death. Ghidorah gives up much more easily than they did, so he looks worse by comparison.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:31 am Despite preferring the G3 design I'd still say Gamera's G2 design is the ideal "default" Gamera design. GotU design is a bit too goofy and the G3 design is too edgy. The G2 design is the perfect middle ground.
Agreed on G2. The arm wings were a nice addition to the kaiju.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Post by MinorBone Good »

Sometimes when I walk anywhere or listen to music, I will occasionally do something that the Godzilla kaiju do in the films. Some examples include Mechagodzilla's hand twirl, Hedorah's movements towards Godzilla early in the final fight, Mechagodzilla 2's arm salute before taking off, King Caesar's fist clench in Final Wars and probably some others. I'm such a dork.
Current Quatheral Population: 600!
Current Quatheral's Perfected: 283!
The Quatheral Wiki!: https://quatheral.fandom.com/wiki/Quatheral_Wiki
The Quatheral Voices!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRtkOo-Lhs

PM me if you wanna join my Discord to see the updates about Quatheral!

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

MinorBone Good wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:20 pm Sometimes when I walk anywhere or listen to music, I will occasionally do something that the Godzilla kaiju do in the films. Some examples include Mechagodzilla's hand twirl, Hedorah's movements towards Godzilla early in the final fight, Mechagodzilla 2's arm salute before taking off, King Caesar's fist clench in Final Wars and probably some others. I'm such a dork.
I tend to unconsciously make the same faces as the monsters I draw.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

MinorBone Good wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:20 pm Sometimes when I walk anywhere or listen to music, I will occasionally do something that the Godzilla kaiju do in the films. Some examples include Mechagodzilla's hand twirl, Hedorah's movements towards Godzilla early in the final fight, Mechagodzilla 2's arm salute before taking off, King Caesar's fist clench in Final Wars and probably some others. I'm such a dork.
You're not the only one. ;)
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

MinorBone Good wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:20 pm Mechagodzilla 2's arm salute before taking off
Doesn't matter if you think it's dorky, MG2's salute is badass.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Ghidorah and Godzilla are so close in combat that any little thing can turn the tide in the other's favor.

Also Ghidorah used the call when Godzilla went down because Godzilla was no longer there to challenge the call. It is explained clearly in KOTM but between KOTM and Dominion The Titans can choose which Alpha to follow if there is more than one. Godzilla for example thought that Ghidorah after kotm could have gotten some Titans to go rogue again. When Godzilla fell in Mexico all non Alpha titans followed Ghidorah out of fear.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Sometimes when it was a really cold day, I'd exhale, making that visible mist, and do Minya's arm thing.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

The intimidation displays in the MonsterVerse and Heat Ray variant figures have made me decide a Godzilla that has CONSTANTLY glowing spines, maybe even glowing eyes and mouth, would be fucking rad af.

RIP Evan.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

^ I agree it could be cool, but there’s also a line that can be crossed that would mark ‘trying too hard to be cool’.
For Emperor and Empire!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Trying too hard to be cool would only be an issue in the hands of the writers, not the aesthetics of the design.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:13 pm The intimidation displays in the MonsterVerse and Heat Ray variant figures have made me decide a Godzilla that has CONSTANTLY glowing spines, maybe even glowing eyes and mouth, would be skreeonking rad af.
If you had the right story or situation, it would be interesting to have a Godzilla with glowing eyes. Seeing two lights below the water moments before he surfaces would be a good visual.