Concept arts design better than the final design in the film

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Godzillaninja2019
GPN Volunteer

Concept arts design better than the final design in the film

Post by Godzillaninja2019 »

I kinda like the ideal that legendary rodan almost have feather because it would make different than just being a giant pterodactyl. What pice of concept art looks better than the final design in the films

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Concept arts design better than the final design in the film

Post by edgaguirus »

There are concept drawings of Dagahra and Biollante that would have been cool to see.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

A lot of stuff with Orga, Destoroyah, Space Godzilla, and others come to mind.

One thing I would always love to know is how and why certain designs are chosen and rejected over others. I have a feeling that a lot of this involves practicality in what would make a monster interesting to move around and fight.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillaninja2019
GPN Volunteer

I do like some of biolante content arts ideals

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Legendary Ghidorah. I like the final design fine enough though it is slightly generic. Still prefer some of the more otherworldly concepts.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:35 pm Legendary Ghidorah. I like the final design fine enough though it is slightly generic. Still prefer some of the more otherworldly concepts.
Link?

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I still think the biomechanical concepts for Kiryu were waaaay cooler than the one we ended up getting. Some of the Heisei concepts looked cooler than the final design too.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Not better necessarily, but Desghidorah. Some of the concept art had it be a much more distinctive monster than just a "Dark King Ghidorah". It's design tied it into fire and lava a lot more.

Desghidorah often gets forgotten about due to how similar it is to King Ghidorah.

Still, maybe this is underrated, but I think the final Desghidorah suit is rather impressive.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Breakdown wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:21 pm I still think the biomechanical concepts for Kiryu were waaaay cooler than the one we ended up getting. Some of the Heisei concepts looked cooler than the final design too.
I think Kiryu would've looked even better if he started out as a lifeless clone of G54, who received cybernetic implants.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:15 pm
Breakdown wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:21 pm I still think the biomechanical concepts for Kiryu were waaaay cooler than the one we ended up getting. Some of the Heisei concepts looked cooler than the final design too.
I think Kiryu would've looked even better if he started out as a lifeless clone of G54, who received cybernetic implants.
I've always enjoyed these as well. I'd love to see them get made into a kit or figure.

Godzillaninja2019
GPN Volunteer

I like the concept art for mechagodzilla for GVK better than the design we got. Idk mechagodzilla design reminds me of a robot from futureuma or Mr krabs due to his claw hands

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:23 pm Not better necessarily, but Desghidorah. Some of the concept art had it be a much more distinctive monster than just a "Dark King Ghidorah". It's design tied it into fire and lava a lot more.

Desghidorah often gets forgotten about due to how similar it is to King Ghidorah.

Still, maybe this is underrated, but I think the final Desghidorah suit is rather impressive.
The final suit was a good design.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

dantemark
Young Farmer

Post by dantemark »

The film's art design is better than the final design in the film. The design was influenced by George Lucas' interest in Japanese anime and pop art, as well as the work of Ron Cobb, who was originally hired as production designer for Star Wars