What Mammals would make good Kaiju?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: What Mammals would make good Kaiju?

Post by Gigantis »

Y'know, most of the time when we get a primate kaiju, they're usually just clones of Kong and are designed morely based off of gorillas and chimpanzees. Maybe we should expand that a bit to some other parts of our family tree? Be pretty cool if we got a kaiju based off of orangutans, baboons and spider-monkeys.. or any monkey instead of an ape for that matter. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Would be kind of badass if they based a Kaiju off of Mandrills

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I mean Salunga does give off some heavy Mandrill/baboon vibes.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Agreed. Salunga's face has that vibe.

It seems like an odd choice, but a skunk kaiju might be an interesting one. Its musk would be so powerful it could incapacitate humans or make them ill; Not to mention the heavy clean up necessary to remove the smell.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

redmonsterbaragon
Ronin

Post by redmonsterbaragon »

A seal!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

redmonsterbaragon wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:33 pm A seal!
We already have a pinniped kaiju in the form of Maguma.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:14 pm
According to the film, Maguma is a reptile, just nevermind that it looks like a walrus.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:03 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:14 pm
According to the film, Maguma is a reptile, just nevermind that it looks like a walrus.
I...w-wha...how...I-I mean....

HOW DOES ONE EVEN MAKE THIS CLAIM!?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^He could be a synapsid too.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

godjacob wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:19 pm HOW DOES ONE EVEN MAKE THIS CLAIM!?
Two scientists bring Takashi Shimura's scientist character down to Antarctica to analyze the monster's blood. He studies it under a microscope and determines it's reptilian; although this might seem like a subtitling error, it's confirmed by the Japanese Wikipedia article on the film, which cites six texts. This is apparently a relic of an earlier draft in which Maguma wouldn't have been a walrus but a dinosaurian creature, but nevertheless, a character in the film-as-released calls the creature a reptile even though it looks pretty much exactly like an enormous walrus.
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:46 pm
godjacob wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:19 pm HOW DOES ONE EVEN MAKE THIS CLAIM!?
Two scientists bring Takashi Shimura's scientist character down to Antarctica to analyze the monster's blood. He studies it under a microscope and determines it's reptilian; although this might seem like a subtitling error, it's confirmed by the Japanese Wikipedia article on the film, which cites six texts. This is apparently a relic of an earlier draft in which Maguma wouldn't have been a walrus but a dinosaurian creature, but nevertheless, a character in the film-as-released calls the creature a reptile even though it looks pretty much exactly like an enormous walrus.
I hate that lazy filmmaking that can't even bother to swap the line of dialogue is now the canon identification of this. Toho badly needs some mammal Kaiju and Maguma was one of the few I thought it had.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

"Lazy filmmaking"? I don't think there's any reason to believe it was intentionally left in or done as a result of apathy. It's a mistake, plain and simple.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:00 pm "Lazy filmmaking"? I don't think there's any reason to believe it was intentionally left in or done as a result of apathy. It's a mistake, plain and simple.
Lazy might be a strong word I agree, but just annoying.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Remember in DAM when Baragon was blamed for the attack on Paris, but we all saw Gorosaurus leveling the Arc De Triumph? Another small mistake.

On topic, a seal, especially a leopard seal, could be a good kaiju.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Maybe there could also be mammal-like kaiju, but not based on specific real animals. For example, why not there be a mammal-like space monster?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Y'know, before Toho came up with Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla, one of the proposed concepts was Godzilla vs. Qilin. The Qilin is a legitimate creature from Chinese folklore, it's a weird horse... dragon.... thing. I mean it's not entirely a mammal but it has equine qualities. :shrug:

There was also the proposed "King Goku", who sounds like he was leaning into the "primates beyond apes" thing I mentioned before. Especially if he WAS meant to be based of Sun Wukong.. or as the Japanese know him, Son Goku.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

A platypus already feels like a kaiju. Wouldn’t be much of a stretch to just blow it up to size and add some more kaiju-esque traits to it. It would be interesting to lean into the venomous spurs as more exaggerated claws, and the electromagnetic senses from its bill allowing it to sense enemies (and perhaps disrupt them in some way?).
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

CyberZilla wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:08 am A platypus already feels like a kaiju. Wouldn’t be much of a stretch to just blow it up to size and add some more kaiju-esque traits to it. It would be interesting to lean into the venomous spurs as more exaggerated claws, and the electromagnetic senses from its bill allowing it to sense enemies (and perhaps disrupt them in some way?).
A prototype of what that suit would look like actually exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaYTcWn ... TBerkshire
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I could see a platypus kaiju like that in GTS.

SharkLord
Yojimbo

Post by SharkLord »

Did you know? Jaguars are the only big cat to kill you directly by biting the back of your skull. Every other big cat just paralyzes their prey by biting the spine. Jaguars are also skilled climbers and swimmers. They're like turbo-leopards with the power of a tiger.

Yeah, scale them up and I think they'd make one heck of fighter. Let's do it.