What Mammals would make good Kaiju?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LegendZilla
Sazer

What Mammals would make good Kaiju?

Post by LegendZilla »

As we all know, mammal-inspired Kaiju are something of a rarity in this genre, Toho or otherwise. Let's assume Toho themselves decided to make more of them and if so, what real-world mammals would be most suited to model a kaiju after? What would their name(s) be and what ability(s) would they have?

One idea that comes to mind is a bear Kaiju. Their name would be Gumadon, derived from "Kuma", meaning "bear" in Japanese. Maybe you could even base him off of a polar bear and give him ice powers. Another good candidate for a mammalian Kaiju would be a rat, especially since Daiei tried making such a movie before eventually making Gamera. Their name would be something like Nezuras and maybe be a super-disease spreader.

Anyways. That's all the ideas I have for now. If this post can help anyone brainstorm ideas, I look forward to feedback. Over and out.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: What Mammals would make good Kaiju?

Post by Gigantis »

Daiei almost went with some giant squirrel kaiju back in the 60's. Why not have one of those? Or maybe just have a giant rat running around lol

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Any kind of proboscidean, because lets face it, they're the closest thing to actual kaiju on land alive today. Deinotheres in particular could suffice.
The usual four-legged stance would work better visually then upright on two legs, IMO.
Last edited by Al Diplodocus on Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

We all know there's only one answer to this question.

eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Maybe the giant Anteater. I tell you those things are terrifying. Able to take down a jaguar
https://youtu.be/watch?=A9_6b_pggfw
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Anteaters, Pangolis, Bats, Moles, Porcupines, and bears are all good Kaiju materiel.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

G:TS series gave us a bat, shrew, rhino, rats, and monster moles among their roster of beasts.

I could really see an anteater kaiju. I picture a scene where it breaks open a building, and then the people inside get grabbed by a long tongue. They are then drawn into the mouth of the kaiju. A sloth would be another good one. Those claws, like the anteater, could do a number on buildings and other kaiju. Personally, I think a shrew should be done again. They are very active predators, and some have a bite that can paralyze prey.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

El.E.Phant.

Like seriously, why hasn’t there been?
For Emperor and Empire!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I wanna see a big fucked up looking baboon kaiju with big teeth and a swollen red ass.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Voyager wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:01 pm El.E.Phant.

We did, it called

BE.HE.Moth ;)
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:14 pm

We did, it called

BE.HE.Moth ;)
That’s a sloth with tusks :P
For Emperor and Empire!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Voyager wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:20 pm
Thatguy4683 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:14 pm

We did, it called

BE.HE.Moth ;)
That’s a sloth with tusks :P
How dare you speak heresy
Spoiler:
You’re kind of right though

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

An elephant could give a good fight, even without any special abilities. Harryhausen has shown that. If the Ymir and elephant had been 100 ft tall, they could have done some real damage to Rome.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Need more wolf or rat kaiju. An armadillo kaiju would be awesome too.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

You know what? Screw it, let's have a kangaroo kaiju. Only thing close to that we ever got was that Duncan character from Kaiju Combat, and that never got off the ground anyway, so..

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Gigantis wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:08 pm You know what? Screw it, let's have a kangaroo kaiju. Only thing close to that we ever got was that Duncan character from Kaiju Combat, and that never got off the ground anyway, so..
Well kind of, we got Gorgosaurus

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I know people around here have suggested a wolf-kaiju, but it technically has been done before, albeit unofficially :

Anyways, I think a good route to take for the inspiration of more mammalian kaiju would be mythology, whether it be eastern or western. For example, A nine-tailed fox, dream-eating tapir and maybe even a minotaur.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Hannah Barbera series had him fight a Manticore.

If we have a cat kaiju, perhaps it could be a Clouded Leopard. They have the longest canines of any cat living today and are the closest we have to a saber tooth.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:08 pm An armadillo kaiju would be awesome too.
It's been done, actually. I don't know much about him, but there was a small armadillo kaiju in the Random House Godzilla kids' novels by Scott Ciencin.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio