What Mammals would make good Kaiju?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: What Mammals would make good Kaiju?

Post by LegendZilla »

SharkLord wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:35 pm Did you know? Jaguars are the only big cat to kill you directly by biting the back of your skull. Every other big cat just paralyzes their prey by biting the spine. Jaguars are also skilled climbers and swimmers. They're like turbo-leopards with the power of a tiger.

Yeah, scale them up and I think they'd make one heck of fighter. Let's do it.
I said this before, but I would like to see a new iteration of Jet Jaguar able to transform between a familiar humanoid form and a mechanical jaguar.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Rats. I want to see an oversized rat running amok in a city and looking cute while doing it.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Post by Eel221 »

I think any mammal can be made into a good kaiju, it all depends on designer' skills. With that being said i'd like to see a horse, bull or giraffe monster.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

You know, a minotaur-based kaiju could be really cool. Tweak the base minotaur a little bit, maybe give it a special ability of some sort, scale it up, and boom.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Eel221 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:31 am I think any mammal can be made into a good kaiju.... or giraffe monster.
That'd be a tall order, but it could be done.

If you want a creepy mammal kaiju, you could go with an aye-aye. Just picture a scene where our characters are pressing into a back wall to avoid that deadly finger.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Cenozoic mammals have skreonk-loads of good design bases -- Megatheres, Indricotheres, Entelodonts, etc
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Considering deer have a significant role in Japanese culture (especially in the Shinto religion), I think a kaiju based on such would be a clever move. I imagine such a creature as a benevolent guardian like Mothra. I think the creature's name should be something like Shigaras from the Japanese word shika, meaning "deer".

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:34 pm Considering deer have a significant role in Japanese culture (especially in the Shinto religion), I think a kaiju based on such would be a clever move. I imagine such a creature as a benevolent guardian like Mothra. I think the creature's name should be something like Shigaras from the Japanese word shika, meaning "deer".
Hmm. The thing with deer is that they're all about speed, agility, and grace. They're small and slight, and they live by being wary, wily, quick to run and hide. Nothing about them says 'kaiju'. There are some exceptions like moose or wapiti, but they aren't native to Japan. Their body plan isn't workable for suits or puppets, so CGI would be the only route to go. I dunno. To turn a deer into a kaiju, you'd have to stray pretty far from what makes them deer.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Ever seen Princess Mononoke? That deer inspired forest god was FREAKY! Make a more kaiju version of Xernias from Pokemon, and have him be a supernatural beast and you have a kaiju.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I would say bat, but that is kind of what Stan Winston's Gryphon was.

I'm surprised we haven't seen a pig, hog, or boar inspired kaiju yet.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:11 pm I would say bat, but that is kind of what Stan Winston's Gryphon was.

I'm surprised we haven't seen a pig, hog, or boar inspired kaiju yet.
I'd kill for a warthog Kaiju. Think that has potential.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

There are a few killer pig movies, but the closest I've seen to a pig kaiju would be from Princess Mononoke.

I don't think anyone here has mentioned the hyena yet. They have a powerful bite, and you could link it to the legend of the Nandi Bear. That would also give it a cool name.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

chalicotherium

beef it up to godzilla size there that thing would beat the shit out of a lot of other monsters

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Since Tapirs have a role in Asian mythology, maybe they could be a good candidate. They were presented as dream-eaters.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

An Anteater, 100%. I mentioned this before but the idea of a Kaiju that might specifically feed on people by darting it’s tongue around buildings and streets like a fast blade is genuinely terrifying and can create a lot of anxious survival terror. Plus it could be a fantastic meele combatant with its arms and claws if accounts of Giant Anteaters messing up Jaguars are anything to go by.

Another one that could work very well is a Boar based Kaiju like previously mentioned. Love the idea of an eternally angry 100 meters+ something Boar that rams into other Kaiju like a freight train when agitated. Could be a genuinely formidable force.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Even better, make it an entelodont. Those things are essentially monsters already, just scale it up and tweak it.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Anteater, Boars, and Entelodonts would be cool. There was a kaiju in Ultraman Towards The Future that reminded me of an Entelodont. Give us more mammoth kaiju too.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:57 am ^ Even better, make it an entelodont. Those things are essentially monsters already, just scale it up and tweak it.
Hell yeah, a Daeodon or Archaeotherium inspired Kaiju would absolutely slap. They were already quite formidable looking with their jaws, and the idea of a monster that only has it’s head as a weapon is great lol. I can see a massive, gnarly looking Entelodont Kaiju straight up just picking smaller monsters with it’s jaws and shaking them around like giant ragdolls.
A Hippo could be a great inspiration as well for the same reason, if one wishes to go with a semi-aquatic route.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I don't think we've ever gotten a rhino kaiju. They're already super formidable, so I doubt turning one into a monster fitting of the Godzilla/Ultraman brand would be too hard.

Also, what about whales? Godzilla's name stems from whales, why not have him fight a kaiju that's an actual kujira?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I think there was a Rhino in GTS? Certainly didn’t look like one much lol. Would be a dope concept to bring back.

Whales are basically a perfect given, something like a giant Sperm Whale or Humpback would be epic. An Orca Kaiju can work too, I can see a pack of them strategically fighting another aquatic Kaiju like Godzilla or Titanosaurus.