Definitive: “How would you feel about X”

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Re: Definitive: “How would you feel about X”

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:21 am Here’s another batch of HWYFI’s :

1. Toho gave Godzilla a villain-to-hero character arc like in the Showa era? Do you think it could be done in a more serious and realistic manner?
2. You could make a cameo as an extra in a Godzilla-related production?
3. Godzilla became part of a mated pair with a female extraterrestrial Kaiju? I am thinking something like with Erebus and Redmoon, only with Godzilla substituting the latter.
4. Godzilla acquired psychic abilities?
1. Ehhhh...I mean... maybe...?

2. Fuck yes.

3. No thank you.

4. Didn't Heisei already do that?
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

TheLastGezora
G-Force Personnel

Post by TheLastGezora »

1. Toho gave Godzilla a villain-to-hero character arc like in the Showa era? Do you think it could be done in a more serious and realistic manner?
3. Godzilla became part of a mated pair with a female extraterrestrial Kaiju? I am thinking something like with Erebus and Redmoon, only with Godzilla substituting the latter.
1. I feel like the Heisei continuity was trying to do this at one point. Godzilla starts out as a villain, becomes a slightly sympathetic villain in GvMGII, is as close to a hero as he gets in GvSG, but GvD doesn't really follow up on this. While he's still portrayed sympathetically, he ultimately becomes a bigger threat than Destoroyah due to the meltdown, and then the series ends after that. That being said, I'm open to Toho doing it again, and I'd like to see how they could pull it off.

2. Heck yeah. I'd like to be an US Navy crewmate in an obligatory "Godzilla-destroys-a-foreign-submarine" scene at the start of the movie.

3. Believe it or not, I'm not completely averse to a Godzilla "romance" plot, but it needs to be handled with tact and subtlety, and I think part of that would necessitate making the other a female member of his own species. I'd really rather they didn't do this.

4. It could be cool but I think Godzilla has plenty of abilities to his name already. However, I do wish more films would engage in the ESP bits touched on by the Heisei era. I think a psychic monster would be a great idea, but I don't think it necessarily needs to be Godzilla. Maybe you could argue Mothra is already a psychic kaiju.
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Im to scared to talk to my comic book store guy. I dont know why but i have this strange feeling that he is secretly plotting against me...
Most comic store owners are pretty chill. Just say hey hows it going chit chat for 5 min then ask about how the godzilla comics are. Don't be afraid to talk to them :D
naw man, I can see murder in his eyes dude. I swear!

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

All sound good to me.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

HWYFI :

1. Emperor Ghidorah was brought back as a powered-up version of King Ghidorah?
2. A sequel to GMK was made that introduced King Ceasar into said-film's continuity?
3. Expanding on #2, what if the WWII souls somehow lost control of Godzilla, tried to posses another kaiju, only for said kaiju to end up taking charge rather than the other way around?
4. Godzilla received cybernetic implants?
5. A human protagonist was a construction worker who always experiences his hard work get torn apart by kaiju?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:11 pm HWYFI :

2. A sequel to GMK was made that introduced King Ceasar into said-film's continuity?
3. Expanding on #2, what if the WWII souls somehow lost control of Godzilla, tried to posses another kaiju, only for said kaiju to end up taking charge rather than the other way around?
1. At that point, you might as well just bring back Monster X and Keizer Ghidorah. I don't really think KG needs a power boost to begin with, he's already portrayed as one of the strongest monsters as is.

2, 3. TBH, a sequel to GMK in general sounds kinda pointless, so i'll pass.

4. This kind of happened with Godzilla: The Series. Still, I wouldn't be against Toho trying this, because when GTS did it, it was awesome.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:11 pm HWYFI :

5. A human protagonist was a construction worker who always experiences his hard work get torn apart by kaiju?
1. That could be done well.

2. As long as its written well.

3. Fuck no.

4. Ehhhh...

5. *dials phone*

Yes, Mr. Anno? Is Shinji Higuchi there? We all may have another opportunity here...

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:10 pm
2, 3. TBH, a sequel to GMK in general sounds kinda pointless, so I'll pass.
It can't be more pointless than a sequel to G54, can it?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:46 pm
The point: make more money off a cool story with the rad giant dinosaur.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

This is different. 54 has been getting sequels again, and again, and again, and it even kind of left itself open to it the moment Yamane said "As long as nuclear weapons exist, another Godzilla could show up someday", so pointless as they may be, it's kind of something the G-Fandom is used to (Not to mention, Toho themselves seem to be distancing themselves from5 4 sequels because every film in the Reiwa era takes place in its own continuity with no previous films to follow up on)

A follow up to a film like GMK, which is pretty much a massive open and shut case outside of Godzilla's hear beating, has NEVER been attempted before, and at this point, probably never will. Toho's not gonna go back to a continuity that I'm pretty sure was the only success in an era of Godzilla in which the franchise wasn't doing all that hot. Not to mention, I don't think they'd even attempt a GMK follow up if Kaneko isn't on board, and last I heard, he's retired from filmmaking.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Sequels to 54 were not pointless.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

1. It could be done with the right story telling.

2. I would love that. If I had a choice, I'd be one of the reporters listening as the general discusses the latest plan to deal with Godzilla or his foe.

3. It would make an interesting story, but it would need to be done well to work.

4. That's already happened. It was named SpaceGodzilla. I don't think Godzilla should be psychic, but I wouldn't object to bringing back human characters with psychic powers.

Added in 22 seconds:

1. It could be done with the right story telling.

2. I would love that. If I had a choice, I'd be one of the reporters listening as the general discusses the latest plan to deal with Godzilla or his foe.

3. It would make an interesting story, but it would need to be done well to work.

4. That's already happened. It was named SpaceGodzilla. I don't think Godzilla should be psychic, but I wouldn't object to bringing back human characters with psychic powers.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:32 pm
This is different. 54 has been getting sequels again, and again, and again, and it even kind of left itself open to it the moment Yamane said "As long as nuclear weapons exist, another Godzilla could show up someday", so pointless as they may be, it's kind of something the G-Fandom is used to (Not to mention, Toho themselves seem to be distancing themselves from5 4 sequels because every film in the Reiwa era takes place in its own continuity with no previous films to follow up on)

A follow up to a film like GMK, which is pretty much a massive open and shut case outside of Godzilla's hear beating, has NEVER been attempted before, and at this point, probably never will. Toho's not gonna go back to a continuity that I'm pretty sure was the only success in an era of Godzilla in which the franchise wasn't doing all that hot. Not to mention, I don't think they'd even attempt a GMK follow up if Kaneko isn't on board, and last I heard, he's retired from filmmaking.
Do concerns over corporate exploitation of our nostalgia play a role in your stance? I figured it won’t be as much of an issue without Hollywood’s involvement.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

HWYF if cast members like Matthew Broderick or Jean Reno were to make cameos in a future Monsterverse film?

Added in 38 seconds:
edgaguirus wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:30 pm HWYF if G98 cast members like Matthew Broderick or Jean Reno were to make cameos in a future Monsterverse film?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

GoKelley85
Yojimbo

Post by GoKelley85 »

edgaguirus wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:31 pm HWYF if cast members like Matthew Broderick or Jean Reno were to make cameos in a future Monsterverse film?

Added in 38 seconds:
edgaguirus wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:30 pm HWYF if G98 cast members like Matthew Broderick or Jean Reno were to make cameos in a future Monsterverse film?
My only issue with it would be if they played it up for a cheap laugh or something.

But if they wanted to use them in a way that contributed to the story, I'd be okay with it.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Going off of the new Prey trailer, that has me wonder how you'd feel if Toho made films featuring their iconic kaiju in past time periods? If so, which ones should be picked for each era? I'd like to see a King Caesar movie in medieval Okinawa or maybe even a Varan movie that deals with the conflict between the Japanese and the Emishi people. For the latter, it would make him stand out more from other kaiju in more than one way.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

HWYFA a feature that showed a kaiju attack from an animal point of view, like some stray dogs trying to survive as some kaiju rampages a city?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:04 pm HWYFA a feature that showed a kaiju attack from an animal point of view, like some stray dogs trying to survive as some kaiju rampages a city?
Maybe for one scene, but not the entire movie.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Godzilla vs. Homeward Bound? Why not. No reason to keep the genre in the same little box all the time.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:51 pm Godzilla vs. Homeward Bound? Why not. No reason to keep the genre in the same little box all the time.
My dad told me bedtime stories about that when I was a toddler! XD

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Okay, the Homeward Bound/Godzillafilm sounds neat. But I would prefer they didn't add voiceovers to the animals.

HWYFA....
* Godzilla vs. Mecha-Osama Bin Ladin becoming a real, albiet fairly satirical comedy?
* A future Godzilla film made a potshot at Donald Trump or any american right-wing figure?
* A travelling museum exhibit comparing Godzilla kaiju to real animals, both living and extinct?