Definitive: “How would you feel about X”

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Definitive: “How would you feel about X”

Post by JAGzilla »

Godzilla needs to stay out of American politics, and especially needs to avoid pulling a Disney and coming down hard in support of either side of the aisle. Not only does that risk turning the Godzilla franchise into another platform from which an agenda can be pushed at the expense of the films' quality, but you alienate a big chunk of the audience if you blatantly take sides. Right now, people across the political spectrum are watching Monsterverse movies and seeing whatever political intent they want to see. Let's keep it that way.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:24 am Godzilla needs to stay out of American politics, and especially needs to avoid pulling a Disney and coming down hard in support of either side of the aisle. Not only does that risk turning the Godzilla franchise into another platform from which an agenda can be pushed at the expense of the films' quality, but you alienate a big chunk of the audience if you blatantly take sides. Right now, people across the political spectrum are watching Monsterverse movies and seeing whatever political intent they want to see. Let's keep it that way.
Uuuh, didn't Godzilla begin life as a big political statement? Like this franchise hasn't exactly been subtle with its politics throughout its history lol
Last edited by godjacob on Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Sotrytelling is to some degree inherently political, telling a story about a character whose origins are as a politically-motivated metaphor invites exploring that metaphor from other perspectives, and American filmmakers are inevitably going to bring an American perspective to their work with that character. If a storyteller has something to say, they should damned well use the resources they have on hand to say it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

For the record, my favorite Godzilla movies do tend to have political slants to them. I just don't trust Hollywood writers to handle the current American political climate with the same tact as Godzilla or the same biting satire as Shin Godzilla.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:05 am For the record, my favorite Godzilla movies do tend to have political slants to them. I just don't trust Hollywood writers to handle the current American political climate with the same tact as Godzilla or the same biting satire as Shin Godzilla.
I would absolutely trust certain Hollywood writers to handle those elements in meaningful and impactful ways; I just wouldn't trust the studios to let those scripts through without dumbing them down or muddling them up.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eabaker wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:08 am
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:05 am For the record, my favorite Godzilla movies do tend to have political slants to them. I just don't trust Hollywood writers to handle the current American political climate with the same tact as Godzilla or the same biting satire as Shin Godzilla.
I would absolutely trust certain Hollywood writers to handle those elements in meaningful and impactful ways; I just wouldn't trust the studios to let those scripts through without dumbing them down or muddling them up.
Yeah, pretty much this. When blockbuster money's on the line, the big studios like to play things safe, resulting in half-baked political elements that don't usually say much.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

How would you feel if :

1. There was new version of Mechagodzilla who was introduced as an alien weapon built for hostile intent, only to get re-built and re-purposed by humanity for defense?

2. Said version of MG will face off against a second one of alien design, pitting both alien-made and man-made versions of the character together.

3. Each different version of MG I am proposing had a different paint-job. The first one is covered in a menacing gunmetal-grey armor, only to get painted mostly white upon getting rebuild. The second evil MG will be the classic silver

4. MG's head will be able to unfold into a particle-railgun?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:30 am Okay, the Homeward Bound/Godzillafilm sounds neat. But I would prefer they didn't add voiceovers to the animals.

HWYFA....
* Godzilla vs. Mecha-Osama Bin Ladin becoming a real, albiet fairly satirical comedy?
* A future Godzilla film made a potshot at Donald Trump or any american right-wing figure?
* A travelling museum exhibit comparing Godzilla kaiju to real animals, both living and extinct?
Godzilla vs MOB sounds like prime material for satire, as long as it doesn't try to be serious. This would work best with a little camp tossed in.

I don't mind Godzilla taking on political themes, but not targeting certain individuals. You might get some trouble there with how polarized the parties are.

I would love this.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

When people discuss keeping politics out of Godzilla movies, do they actually mean REAL politics, or do they just don't want to see two people of the same gender kissing?

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:43 pm When people discuss keeping politics out of Godzilla movies, do they actually mean REAL politics, or do they just don't want to see two people of the same gender kissing?
"Keep politics out of X" has always and will always relate to politics people who spout this phrase don't agree with. Nothing more.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

If it’s done well, fine. If it’s done poorly, it will negatively affect the film. I hate forced social justice, etc scenes. If you can find a meaningful way to explore those themes, then I think it could potentially add to the film. All depends on how it’s written.

Added in 3 minutes 56 seconds:
Al Diplodocus wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:30 am
HWYFA....
* Godzilla vs. Mecha-Osama Bin Ladin becoming a real, albiet fairly satirical comedy?
I cannot believe you suggested this unironically. In what world does that make any sense?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

EDIT: Never mind.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

HWYFI :

#1. Maser canons were introduced as experimental technology? At first, they'd be crude and unreliable due to factors like being very unstable and requiring an astronomical amount of energy. Due to this, they will only be used as a last resort. Humans will struggle over time to refine maser tech, slowly improving. It's better than have them just exist showing up out of nowhere when you think about it.

#2. We saw Godzilla get physically maimed i.e partially blinded and/or impaled again?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:31 pm HWYFI :

#1. Maser canons were introduced as experimental technology? At first, they'd be crude and hardly reliable due to factors like being very unstable and requiring an astronomical amount of energy. Due to this, they will only be sued as a last resort. Humans will struggle over time to refine maser tech, slowly improving. It's better than have them just exist showing up out of nowhere when you think about it.

#2. We saw Godzilla get physically maimed i.e partially blinded and/or impaled again?
#1 Interesting idea. I'd like it.
2. Same way I'd feel about the last time.

HWYFA....
- If Toho brought back the Snowman from Half-Human in a modified form as a substitute for King Kong?
- Anguirus being aquatic and having a more fish-like design, specifically an eel? It's a play on Anguirus' orginal name Angilas and eel scientific name Anguilla?
- Wayne Barlowe designed kaiju in his style, particularly the aiens of Darwin IV?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Angeelas? I'm sure there's a way to make that work. The eel influence would have to be concentrated in the head and tail.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:08 am - If Toho brought back the Snowman from Half-Human in a modified form as a substitute for King Kong?
- Anguirus being aquatic and having a more fish-like design, specifically an eel? It's a play on Anguirus' orginal name Angilas and eel scientific name Anguilla?
- Wayne Barlowe designed kaiju in his style, particularly the aiens of Darwin IV?
Feel like it would be weird considering they have the more famous Gargantuas to act as Kong substitutes, but okay. Be cool to see some of the lesser known Toho cast come back IG.
A... very infamous person in this community had an idea of Anguirus being more semi-aquatic due to him being related to Godzilla. Obviously this ain't exactly that, but it does remind me of it a tad. Like Jag said though, you'd have to focus it more on the head and tail to REALLY tell that eel life was the inspiration.
Is it bad that I don't know who that is?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:57 amFeel like it would be weird considering they have the more famous Gargantuas to act as Kong substitutes, but okay. Be cool to see some of the lesser known Toho cast come back IG.
A... very infamous person in this community had an idea of Anguirus being more semi-aquatic due to him being related to Godzilla. Obviously this ain't exactly that, but it does remind me of it a tad. Like Jag said though, you'd have to focus it more on the head and tail to REALLY tell that eel life was the inspiration.
Is it bad that I don't know who that is?
1. Well mind you, Gargantuas aren't quite King Kong Copy material due to being mutant humans rather then non-human great apes.
2. He's an artist who has written many science fiction/spculative biology works, with Drawin IV being feayured in his book "Expedition", which actually commits to making aliens, well, alien, worth reading. He's also done work for Avatar and Pacific Rim if that helps.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:31 pm HWYFI :

#1. Maser canons were introduced as experimental technology? At first, they'd be crude and unreliable due to factors like being very unstable and requiring an astronomical amount of energy. Due to this, they will only be used as a last resort. Humans will struggle over time to refine maser tech, slowly improving. It's better than have them just exist showing up out of nowhere when you think about it.

1. I like the idea. Story wise, you could show how technology progresses and how living side by side with giant creatures drives man's fight to survive.

2. Seeing Godzilla wounded and bleeding would add some drama to the fights.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Here's some more. HWYFI :

1. Godzilla was able to out-smart the human characters for once?
2. A kaiju was created by gene splicing Godzilla and Mothra?
3. Another film featured a mated Rodan pair with sexual dimorphism?
4. Going off of #3, What if there was a baby Rodan in addition to the male and female?
5. They showed Rodan attacking and eating a train filled with cattle? Fun fact, it was in the script to the 1956 film, but scrapped most likely to budget and technical reasons.
6. Rodan was able to partially blind Godzilla with a peck?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:48 pm Here's some more. HWYFI :

1. Godzilla was able to out-smart the human characters for once?
2. A kaiju was created by gene splicing Godzilla and Mothra?
3. Another film featured a mated Rodan pair with sexual dimorphism?
4. Going off of #3, What if there was a baby Rodan in addition to the male and female?
5. They showed Rodan attacking and eating a train filled with cattle? Fun fact, it was in the script to the 1956 film, but scrapped most likely to budget and technical reasons.
6. Rodan was able to partially blind Godzilla with a peck?
1. I'd be on board! One of my favorite scenes in RoE is Woods appreciating Godzilla's clever strategy for defeating Destoroyah. I'd love to see something like that in a movie, where the human characters are taken off guard when this big dumb lizard suddenly turns out to be as smart as they are.