Traditional Godzilla

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Traditional Godzilla

Post by Spuro »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:28 pm So, the issue of Shin's laser show. I know that ability has its detractors. When you get right down to it, it's really not much different than the nuclear pulse. Both involve omnidirectional releases of huge amounts of nuclear power, just in different forms.
That was actually my exact reasoning back when Shin was coming out. The back lasers didn't annoy me too much because I just saw it as an extension of the nuclear pulse idea.

The tail laser on the other hand... now that was just pushing it too far into silly territory for my taste. I actually laughed out loud when the leaked shot came out showcasing it on full display.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla's tail has been a consistent weapon throughout the different ages. It has been an effective physical means of attack; Just ask Kong, Rodan, and the male Muto. Having a tail beam is no less weird than shooting beams out of his back.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:49 pm Godzilla's tail has been a consistent weapon throughout the different ages. It has been an effective physical means of attack; Just ask Kong, Rodan, and the male Muto. Having a tail beam is no less weird than shooting beams out of his back.
I don't understand this line of reasoning, to be honest. Gorosaurus has an effective kick, but that doesn't mean it would be sensible for Gorosaurus to shoot beams out of his toes. Godzilla shooting beams out of his back has precedent (the climax of Godzilla vs Destoroyah), and the spines are supposed to channel his atomic energy anyway to it makes some sense to an extent. But there exists no such precedent for the tail beam, no matter how effectively he can swing it.
Last edited by Spuro on Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The tail beam definitely feels out there, but again, looking at it objectively, why is it really any different than energy coming out of any other part of the body? If it can seep through the torso or spines, why not the tail? *shrug* If the nuclear pulse (introduced thirty-five years and seventeen films into the franchise) can become standard and traditional, I feel like there's room for a tail beam to do the same, assuming Toho decides to keep it around. Making multiple appearances is kind of a requirement of a tradition, of course.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:19 am The tail beam definitely feels out there, but again, looking at it objectively, why is it really any different than energy coming out of any other part of the body? If it can seep through the torso or spines, why not the tail? *shrug* If the nuclear pulse (introduced thirty-five years and seventeen films into the franchise) can become standard and traditional, I feel like there's room for a tail beam to do the same, assuming Toho decides to keep it around. Making multiple appearances is kind of a requirement of a tradition, of course.
A Nuclear Pulse is really not that different from an organism producing an electric shock, like how an eel does. When you come to think of it, being able to emit shockwave is something that is biologically feasible. At least from a hypothetical perspective evolution-wise, even more so than breathing nuclear fire,
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Edit: Administrators, I accidentally hit the report button instead of the quote button for Spuro. He has not done anything wrong, this is my fault.

Spuro, sorry I hit the report button. That was not my intention.

I was just using Super Godzilla as an example for tail lasers.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

darthzilla99 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:38 pm Edit: Administrators, I accidentally hit the report button instead of the quote button for Spuro. He has not done anything wrong, this is my fault.

It's all good, lol.

I've never played Super Godzilla before. The SNES was before my time (I grew up with the PS1/Original Xbox). The game slipped my mind entirely.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Spuro wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:43 pm
darthzilla99 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:38 pm Edit: Administrators, I accidentally hit the report button instead of the quote button for Spuro. He has not done anything wrong, this is my fault.

It's all good, lol.

I've never played Super Godzilla before. The SNES was before my time (I grew up with the PS1/Original Xbox). The game slipped my mind entirely.
That's fair. It's a pretty obscure video game. I was just being cheeky with the tail lasers than anything.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

darthzilla99 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:44 pm
Spuro wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:43 pm

It's all good, lol.

That's fair. It's a pretty obscure video game. I was just being cheeky with the tail lasers than anything.
I first played it in ‘95.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Don't really get the need for a traditional Godzilla film as Legendary has filled the void of a more conservative output. I think that Godzilla hasn't been all that "traditional" since the Millennium Era gave way to having new directors create their own take on Godzilla. Reiwa has been the most out there so far, but I don't think it demands a need to go back to roots. The franchise is about to be 70 years old in a few years after all.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Shin was weird, but in many ways was already a return to the series roots.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Agreed. Shin took us back to the nuclear origin of a huge and seemingly invincible beast, but added a new level of terror to the character.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.