Who's the better Villian: Ghidorah or Godzilla ?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Who's the better Menace?

Godzilla
36%
Ghidorah
46%
Tied
18%

Total votes: 28

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Who's the better Villian: Ghidorah or Godzilla ?

Post by Gojira1604 »

In nearly every continuity, we've seen both Godzilla and Ghidorah play the role of antagonists. Godzilla typically as a rampaging beast and Ghidorah as an alien threat to the planet. The Showa era had Godzilla from 54-64, Ghidorah throughout the whole series.
The Heisei era had Godzilla portrayed as often a rogue threat, King Ghiorah replacing him but representing a different kind of threat. American imperialism from the future if you will.
Finals Wars too portrayed Godzilla as a useful rogue, a living weapon that only followed his only alligance. Carrying a grudge against the humans notably. Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah kind of serving as his final boss. The alien trump car that the Gotengo crew realized had to be destroyed less the remaining world be put in jeopardy.
Then the Monsterverse introduced us to the concept of a natural balance Godzilla defends. With KOTM, Ghidorah kind of turns that on its head by beginning to destroy the Earth. We see then in GVK, Godzilla himself embracing his destructive capacity against humanity when they themselves agitate his sense of "alpha superiority" through the actions of APEX.
Finally in the Polygon continuity, we have Godzilla acting like an unstoppable exterminator. In the novelizations, going after other monsters one by one then driving humanity off Earth. He's ready to do it all again thousands of years later when humans return from space, it's like he has an instinct to destroy threats. Compared to previous Godzilla incarnations, G Earth is much more intolerant of potential threats like mankind. When Ghidorah is finally summoned by the Exif, well Godzilla's for the first time (briefly) facing off against an enemy that he can't pulverize into oblivion (at first).
With their shared status across several storylines compared, I'd say the better antagonist in each continuity would be:
For Showa: Godzilla
For Heisei: Godzilla
For Final Wars: close one, but Keizer Ghidorah.
For the Monsterverse: King Ghidorah
For the Polygon series: Godzilla.
In your opinion, who's the better antagonist for each series & overall? :Godzilla68: :KingGhidorah64:
Last edited by Gojira1604 on Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Who's the better Villian: Ghidorah or Godzilla ?

Post by edgaguirus »

For Showa, I'd say Ghidorah. Ghidorah wanted to destroy civilization across the planet. Godzilla is more like a natural disaster that comes and goes.

The Heisei Godzilla is a major threat that just happens to stop kaiju that also endanger man. This incarnation causes just as much death and destruction as his enemies.

Final Wars I agree on. KG is the worst of the two.

Monsterverse KG is a threat to the entire world and everything on it.

I have yet to see the Polygon series, so no comment.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I prefer Godzilla as the lesser of two evils in the face(s) of his archrival no matter what.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Generally Ghidoah is best when it is the true evil in the setting due to purely malevolent goals where as Godzilla's aggression works best as a consequence of man or territorial/provoked causes. For that I say Ghidorah works better as a villain in a stock sense.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Ghidorah is a better villain for Godzilla, Godzilla is the better villain overall.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

King Ghidorah. On a general level, Godzilla's rage is caused by being harmed or in some way provoked by humanity. He's the wronged party.

Ghidorah is cosmic evil that seems to destroy planets or civilizations for fun. Even when he's working for/with alien invaders you get the idea that he's enjoying the devastation he creates.
Resized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

King Ghidorah’s one evil bastard.
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I prefer stories where King Ghidorah is the bigger of two evils than versions such as, say, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ghidorah generally has no meaning behind it's existence, besides possibly a connection to Fossil Fuels (Mothra 3) and Climate Change (MV). Godzilla always works better as a villain because usually it has meaning and reference to real world events, be it the Cold War, the Fukushima Earthquake, Tsunami and subsequent nuclear disaster, eugenics etc... Ghidorah recently has sort of been tried to connected to major events, but it's not built into it's design in the same way Godzilla is.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:10 pm Ghidorah generally has no meaning behind it's existence, besides possibly a connection to Fossil Fuels (Mothra 3) and Climate Change (MV).
I had read from somewhere that King Ghidorah was representative of Red China, who had recently gotten nuclear weapons, just earlier in 1964. King Ghidorah, while based on Yamato No Orochi, also has origins in Chinese dragons, which is apparent in the design. Japan (Earth and/or Mothra) had a threat just a small sea over, and one that was a lot more malicious and aggressive than the Americans (Godzilla) and the Soviets (Rodan). This threat was so large it called to action two superpowers to quell it. That could just be the take of a select few (including myself), but I find it interesting.
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Voyager wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:22 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:10 pm Ghidorah generally has no meaning behind it's existence, besides possibly a connection to Fossil Fuels (Mothra 3) and Climate Change (MV).
I had read from somewhere that King Ghidorah was representative of Red China, who had recently gotten nuclear weapons, just earlier in 1964. King Ghidorah, while based on Yamato No Orochi, also has origins in Chinese dragons, which is apparent in the design. Japan (Earth and/or Mothra) had a threat just a small sea over, and one that was a lot more malicious and aggressive than the Americans (Godzilla) and the Soviets (Rodan). This threat was so large it called to action two superpowers to quell it. That could just be the take of a select few (including myself), but I find it interesting.
Yeah but the movie (GTTHM) provides absolutely no context “in-text” evidence for that, other than speculation. If there’s a direct statement on it, sure. With Godzilla it’s clear what he is, and makes clear visual references/allusions to events. It’s also applying modern perspectives retroactively: China was nowhere near as powerful as it is now in the 1950s and 60s. Like the “Angurius is Russia” bs, it’s nothing but over intellectualization held together by a few speculative things that sound neat in theory.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Overall I would say Godzilla overall is a better villain. Rather than just being a big bad, as LSD said, he’s something more. He represents something.
For Emperor and Empire!

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Even then, from my memory Ishiro Honda shot down the whole "Ghidorah is China" thing.

Besides, Ghidorah is much too based to be compared to China. Bleh.
Resized Image

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

It depends on what story needs, honestly. Both work great as villains in films, Ghidorah being the more typical villain while Godzilla works as a more meaningful villain (he is a symbol for Japan's darkest moment in history after all).

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

My vote went to Godzilla, which is a result of films like the original, 84, GMK, Shin, etc. Godzilla has been in direct conflict with Japan on numerous occasions and with underlying subtext of those particular films, it makes Godzilla a more meaningful villain to the characters and to the audience. Ghidorah is a good villain as well. As others have mentioned, he is a more traditional villain. What I think Ghidorah lacks is the on-screen resume to really back his reputation as a Planet destroyer. He is constantly being stopped by Godzilla before you can really see the full extent of his power and malice. The only film that I think got really close is 2019 KoTM, where Ghidorah really shows what he is capable of and has a bit of personality to him.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Godzilla is a good villain for humanity, Ghidorah is a good villain for Godzilla and humanity.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That seems the best to sum up both characters.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

toho studios