Battle of Jets N’ Jaguars

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Which Jetty Jag reigns supreme?

Showa
50%
Singular Point/Reiwa
50%

Total votes: 32

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Battle of Jets N’ Jaguars

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Showa JJ isn't really that ridiculous after you've seen some Ultra-series past Ultraseven. In the context of the Godzilla series, maybe a little. But he's no Taro 😅
I guess it doesn't help that Megalon was my absolute least favorite Godzilla movie growing up. I didn't develop an appreciation for it until I got to see it on Blu-ray when Media Blasters put it out. It's much more enjoyable in it's proper aspect ratio and in Japanese.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

My issue with Jet Jaguar in the Showa film is less how absurd he is (Given the 70s tone he actually fits fine), but rather the character itself seems out of place next to the Godzilla cast. As if he walked in from another series into a Godzilla film. Where as SP made Jet Jaguar feel more like an organic character to that setting and did more interesting things with it.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

godjacob wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:56 am My issue with Jet Jaguar in the Showa film is less how absurd he is (Given the 70s tone he actually fits fine), but rather the character itself seems out of place next to the Godzilla cast. As if he walked in from another series into a Godzilla film. Where as SP made Jet Jaguar feel more like an organic character to that setting and did more interesting things with it.
I really like that Showa Jet Jaguar sticks out like a sore thumb. Again, that's part of the charm. There's nothing else like him in the franchise.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

To be fair to Showa Jet Jaguar, he did get more character fleshing in the IDW comics. Granted it was mostly just expanding his fun loveable personality but you got to see him be creative in his size manipulation abilities in battle and he had expressions of fear and gratitude like when a Godzilla trillopod clone is about to kill him and Zilla saves and helps him.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:52 pm
godjacob wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:56 am My issue with Jet Jaguar in the Showa film is less how absurd he is (Given the 70s tone he actually fits fine), but rather the character itself seems out of place next to the Godzilla cast. As if he walked in from another series into a Godzilla film. Where as SP made Jet Jaguar feel more like an organic character to that setting and did more interesting things with it.
I really like that Showa Jet Jaguar sticks out like a sore thumb. Again, that's part of the charm. There's nothing else like him in the franchise.
Damn, Zone Fighter has feelings to you know.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

godjacob wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:06 pm Damn, Zone Fighter has feelings to you know.
....of course he does. Hey, Zone, buddy, you know I didn't mean anyth... hey, come on, don't walk away. Zone! *sigh* Damn. Well, he'll get over it. Don't tell him I said this, but I tend to forget he even exists and don't really consider him part of the Godzilla franchise. The guest appearances by Godzilla, Gigan, and Ghidorah are mostly just that: guest appearances on a long forgotten show.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Agreed. Showa JJ has a charm to him, and that charm makes this one film mech endearing.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:27 am
godjacob wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:06 pm Damn, Zone Fighter has feelings to you know.
....of course he does. Hey, Zone, buddy, you know I didn't mean anyth... hey, come on, don't walk away. Zone! *sigh* Damn. Well, he'll get over it. Don't tell him I said this, but I tend to forget he even exists and don't really consider him part of the Godzilla franchise. The guest appearances by Godzilla, Gigan, and Ghidorah are mostly just that: guest appearances on a long forgotten show.
#ZoneFighterNeverForget
Even if I have to keep the torch burning myself, Zone Fighter will never be forgotten.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.